Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #331 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

LoL Oo delivery driver currently. Thinking of getting my basic mechinic trade skills. And later I hope for a phd in physics just gotta jump that math barrier of mine. But right now im a supporter of my fiance that doing her 4 year degree so college is down the road.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #332 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
Currently in college doing basics, waiting to transfer to a university for Petroleum Engineering. Grew up in hot rods and drag racing. My 1st car was a '69 CST10, my second was a 1990 Firebird which is what I had when I 1st joined here. Sold the bird to finish the truck and drove it for a year now, over 20,000 miles on a truck that was a stripped out shell for 5+ years at least. In that time I bought an '86 Chrysler Laser as a toy for $55, for some shenanigans. It went to the scrapper after that. And a few weeks ago bought an '87 CRX HF for work (Domino's delivery) to save money to continue building the truck. I also wanted a little change of pace in my daily driving, so the feather-weight, stick shift little CRX was perfect for what I was looking for, a great little go cart. Even while being thrashed it's getting 36mpg

I've never been a green person, nor a fan of Hybrids much (There's much better ways to do it, IMO), but I like engineering things, building things, and the result of working with electric R/C cars for the past few years, seeing life sized versions of these cars as home-made EVs is interesting. It also gives me a chance to expand my knowledge of cars into the other side, lol. But, there's lot to be learned in efficiency and aerodynamics that interests me more than anything.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Old 05-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #333 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Red Rabbit - '02 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 38.58 mpg (US)
I build hot rods, at least I did till the economy went bad and the phone stopped ringing. So as of 3 weeks ago I am unemployed
Old 05-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #334 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I run a prototype shop for an industrial design firm.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #335 (permalink)
halos.com

ECONORAM - '07 Dodge RAM 1500 QC SLT flex-fuel
90 day: 18.16 mpg (US)

the Avenger - '08 Dodge Avenger SXT
90 day: 27.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to ECONORAM
Hey welcome you all to ecomodder. I agree with you Texan, I am not convinced hybrids are the ultimate solution. However, you will find that most everyone here aspires to improve the vehicle they have, which I think is ecomodder's strength.
Bill CNC, what type of stuff do you all prototype? Anything with ABS plastic?
Schelter, sorry to hear that. Maybe you can channel your creative abilities to provide folks some custom "eco-mods".
Old 06-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #336 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello ECONORAM,

I prototype anything from toys, to aerospace. ABS is one of my favorite materials to work with. It's usually my first choice if the project has a need for a general plastic.

Why, ... what do you have in mind?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #337 (permalink)
Looking for a new way

The Black Beast - '00 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT

The Silver Sipper - '10 Toyota Prius III
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)
This place is AWESOME!

Hi All, glad to have found this place. My background in cars is hot rods in my youth, worked at a Sears Auto Center for a while. Then college and now finance and accounting. Lived in Washington state for 8 years, 3 of which were spent off-grid and loving it. Learned a bit about NOT using fossil fuel, and always keep it in my heart.

Living in Florida now, Gulf coast, and the BP spill has made me more determined than ever to get fossil fuels out of my life as much as possible. Not easy to do with a 9 MPG V10 in the driveway, but that won't stop me.

Did you know... more than half of the oil produced in the United States is used for transportation!
Old 06-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #338 (permalink)
sid
EcoModding Apprentice

grayranger - '10 Ford Ranger XL 2 door supercab
90 day: 31.78 mpg (US)
I'm presently a songwriter. But I have an electrical engineering degree. My first job I was a design engineer for Chrysler doing engine control electronics. The last 22 years that I worked full time as an engineer I was designing guidance and navigation systems for spacecraft. For home projects, besides all the guitar amps and audio equipment I've designed and built, I also built a hovercraft.

So, for an artsy sort of person, I have a strong technical background and fairly decent wood, metal, plastic, and fiberglass working skills.

And to SMAridge01, I also live in Clearwater, FL, and am running my present house on solar photovoltaic power.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #339 (permalink)
Looking for a new way

The Black Beast - '00 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT

The Silver Sipper - '10 Toyota Prius III
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)
Sid is Solar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid View Post
And to SMAridge01, I also live in Clearwater, FL, and am running my present house on solar photovoltaic power.
SWEEET! I would love to pull that off! Are you completely solar, or partial? I'm impressed either way, believe me. Here in Florida, you'd think it would be more common... but then, I can't get my bosses, with acres of factory roof space baking in the sun, to even consider it for a minute. Oy!

And then take it one step further, and one day you will be using that same solar system to recharge you EV! Love it!

The Black Beast:
Dodge Ram 2500, Gasoline V10, 4X4, Auto
Best MPG recently was 9.8 since improving driving habits; 8.3 before that.
Resigned to hauling only, now that I secured the Prius.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:45 AM   #340 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Bill CNC -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill CNC View Post
Hello ECONORAM,

I prototype anything from toys, to aerospace. ABS is one of my favorite materials to work with. It's usually my first choice if the project has a need for a general plastic.

Why, ... what do you have in mind?
I think we'd ALL love a plastic racing-disk style wheel cover that is tough enough for the job. In my case, all I'd need is the shape. I'd do the rest for my car for my attachments.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
haarlem, http://www.ugg-mall.com, lightyear