Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #341 (permalink)
sid
EcoModding Apprentice

grayranger - '10 Ford Ranger XL 2 door supercab
90 day: 31.78 mpg (US)
SMAridge01: I'm still grid tied. I do have battery backup so I could go off grid in the future, as well as for back up in case the grid goes down, like during a hurricane. To date, I'm generating over three times as much power as I'm using, so I am selling power back to the power company.

Band's latest song/music video "I Sing Along"
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #342 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

pickup - '01 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 Sport
90 day: 16.35 mpg (US)

Focus - '16 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 31.46 mpg (US)
PV rooftop system

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid View Post
SMAridge01: I'm still grid tied. I do have battery backup so I could go off grid in the future, as well as for back up in case the grid goes down, like during a hurricane. To date, I'm generating over three times as much power as I'm using, so I am selling power back to the power company.
This is a great success story. Please share some of the details with those of us sitting on the fence about installing on of these systems.

What was the total cost? What did you get back in rebates, tax writeoffs, etc.?

When do you feel you will reach the break even point savings vs, cost of the system.

What type of batteries do do you have and what are the potential maintenance problems and possible hazardous substances involved?

Generating three times what you use. Pretty good. Is that based on a peak or a 24 hour average?

Not doubting your claims but it would be nice to see about a years worth of electric bills before the installation of the PV system and as many as you have after installation.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:57 AM   #343 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Clanny's 2000 Insight - '00 Honda Insight Stock
90 day: 75.5 mpg (US)
Hi. I'm new here. I've worked as an analyser/instrument tech in the oil industry for over 20 years. I have a degree in energy and environmental engineering and have invented a new solar thermal heating system. I'll soon be moving on to work in the nuclear industry as an engineer. I live in Scotland and drive an Insight.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:06 PM   #344 (permalink)
Aspiring EcoModder

Eggy - '99 Saturn SL2
90 day: 43.7 mpg (US)
<--- Bean counter aka accountant. Working on something from start to finish and getting the benefit is my hobby .... saving money along the way never hurts.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #345 (permalink)
sid
EcoModding Apprentice

grayranger - '10 Ford Ranger XL 2 door supercab
90 day: 31.78 mpg (US)
Taredog:

I have a bunch of articles on my website that discuss the system in detail, but as I understand, I'm not yet allow to post any links.

The system cost about $26,000 and was commercially installed. I'm getting 30% back from the federal government as an income tax credit. I'm also on the waiting list to receive $8000 back from the state of Florida as a rebate if and when they get more funding. I have generated more than three times as much power as I've used total since the system was finished being installed back in January. My electric usage was incredibly low (for a US household, not so impressively low compared to households in other industrialized countries) before I installed the system, typically about 1100 kW-hr a year. The rest can wait until I'm allowed to post links.

Band's latest song/music video "I Sing Along"
Old 06-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #346 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clanny View Post
I live in Scotland and drive an Insight.
...welcome aboard!

...you close to Ardencaple, Ayr or Prestwick?

...recognize the clan motto: "Dulce Periculum?"
Old 06-13-2010, 02:52 AM   #347 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Looking forward to it. Welcome aboard.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #348 (permalink)
Camry MPG Modder

Camry CE - '00 Toyota Camry CE
90 day: 36.18 mpg (US)
Accounting software consultant...

1st job when I was 10 delivering the Long Island Press(died long ago).
Can remember sitting on the curb handing my dad tools out of his old gray Craftsman tool box. He could fix just about anything and thanks to him and my own inquisitive mind I can too. I just mounted my new tires on my picnic table recently, saved myself at least $40 on the mount and balance and about $60 more buying them of off the net.

1st car was a '74 Celica 4 speed. Got 28 mpg in the early 80's and little did I know I was hyper-miling down the hills on the Palisades Parkway.

Worked as auto parts counterman, pumped gas in service station and fixed my mom's and some of my friends cars until I eventually got my act together and went college.

While at SJU got my 1st PC in '85 and did all my friends computer assignments in my accounting classes.

BS in accounting St. John's U in NY '87. Got into accounting software right out of SJU and have been a self-employed consultant ever since.

When ever anything breaks I always analysis where the engineering failed and "mod" it to make it better whenever I can. Sometimes I am right, sometimes I'm not!

My real passion is long range drives. Used to "commute" back and forth btw 29464 and 11010, 757 miles door to door. My records were 36.5 mpg and 10 hrs and 15 minutes! OF course these 2 records were exclusive of each other! Current "commute is 275 miles btw 03911 and 10017. 4.5 hrs and 36.88 best so far.

Btw 911, killed my biz for like 3 yrs and this recession, I am only working partime. Really would kike to quit the software gig and get my CDL and drive the big rigs!

Pete
Old 06-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #349 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Project - S2010 - '98 Chevrolet S-10 LS
90 day: 24.98 mpg (US)

'98 S-10 Baseline - '98 Chevrolet S-10 LS
90 day: 23.52 mpg (US)
Hey everyone! I'm a mechanic and auto customizer. I am currently working on raising the fuel mileage of my s-10 here in Orlando with hydrogen and gasoline dual fuel hybridization.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #350 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Clanny's 2000 Insight - '00 Honda Insight Stock
90 day: 75.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...welcome aboard!

...you close to Ardencaple, Ayr or Prestwick?

...recognize the clan motto: "Dulce Periculum?"
I live about 3 hrs from Ardencaple, and just over an hour from Ayr and Prestwick. I was born in Ayr and lived in Prestwick at the time and moved to Ayr shortly afterwards. I wasn't aware of the MacAulay clan motto but google is very helpful . I see your AGM is in Pitlochry this year. I love Pitlochry. It's a cracking place to explore the highlands from.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
haarlem, http://www.ugg-mall.com, lightyear