Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
LeanBurn:
Quote:
They are also finding many of the old dry wells that were capped and abandoned are now producing again...
niky:
Quote:
...anti-semitic conspiracy theories...
Are you calling Leanburn anti-semitic? Why would you do that?

Arragonis:
Quote:
Responding to this thread is a waste of energy and time...The time I can never get back... the "thing" is a muppet.
Internet trolls serve a useful function; they keep us on our toes and sharpen our argumentation. Ferinstance, discussion of resource depletion should acknowledge R.B.Fuller's 1940 Fortune magazine articles.

Last edited by freebeard; 10-18-2012 at 02:47 AM.. Reason: Fortune not Forbes
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I was citing the article link on the "Zionist Conspiracy", which is full of many half-truths and outright lies.

Besides... Many of those wells that have reopened never really dried up. It's just that they weren't profitable at $60 oil, but are at least marginally so at $100 oil.

Marginal being the appropriate term.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fair enough.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebb View Post
Russian Proves 'Peak Oil' Is A Misleading Scam
It would help your cause more if you didn't cite anti-semitic conspiracy theories based on old rumors and urban legends about fantastic Russian "deep oil".
I hadn't looked at the link to see it's to Rense.com (still only read the first two paragraphs). That would be anti-Zionist; a very important distinction in this day and age.

Quote:
Internet trolls serve a useful function
That was self-referential to some extent. I count your reply as helping my point.

I think that we can pump and burn oil until the sky turns black, which would be failure in a different way. I also anticipate run-away greenhouse effect punctuated by an asteroid-caused 'nuclear' winter.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
News Release: ASPO-USA Urges Energy Department to Confront Risks of Oil Crisis : ASPO-USA: Association for the Study of Peak Oil and Gas

In a letter to Energy Secretary Steven Chu and EIA Administrator Adam Sieminski, ASPO-USA said that DOE and EIA must maintain an independent, unbiased, and prudent perspective amidst a barrage of industry and media hype about a new era of oil abundance. The letter points to overly optimistic forecasts from industry and media sources for increased oil production in North America and cites evidence that such claims are overstated and based on misrepresentation of the data.

Tightening Competition for Global Oil Exports Increases Risks for Near-Term Oil Crisis

The letter goes on to highlight that the United States remains very dependent on imported oil. Competition for oil exports on the global market is rapidly increasing, however, as demand in emerging economies grows and oil-exporting countries increase their domestic consumption. “Since 2005, China and India have consumed an increasing share of a declining volume of oil exports,” noted Jeffrey Brown, ASPO-USA vice-president and an independent geologist who tracks oil export trends. “If we extrapolate current trends, China and India alone would consume 100% of global net oil exports by 2030,” Brown added.

“We have to face the reality that more drilling at home will not significantly address our vulnerability to a global oil supply crisis,” said ASPO-USA Executive Director Jan Lars Mueller, “a dramatic reduction in national oil consumption is a wiser and cheaper path to energy security and oil ‘independence’.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Responding to this thread is a waste of energy and time. The energy of this post I might get back tomorrow by getting 1-2 MPG extra, maybe more - I'm using a solar recharged netbook.

The time I can never get back.

My future strategy is if the thread is started by Suspect... I will avoid it as it will be alarmist pish. I advise the same to anyone else, the "thing" is a muppet.

Bye.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
Old 10-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I hadn't looked at the link to see it's to Rense.com (still only read the first two paragraphs). That would be anti-Zionist; a very important distinction in this day and age.
In that it discriminates only against imaginary Jews? Quite.

Quote:
I think that we can pump and burn oil until the sky turns black, which would be failure in a different way. I also anticipate run-away greenhouse effect punctuated by an asteroid-caused 'nuclear' winter.
The fun part is we can't afford to. And by the time that Asteroid comes, we are going to be too busy suffering throug the trauma of an economic and energy market restructuring to do much about it.

Not with a bang, but a choke, a chug and a whimper.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #36 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Says the guy with a bike doing wheelies in the most non-fuel efficient fashion for an avatar.
You don't do anything for fun that uses fuel? Once in a while I drag race too, but so do others who try to save fuel on everyday trips...The amount of fuel i use in a drag race or a wheelie is peanuts compaired to the fuel used on driving to work and back.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GRU For This Useful Post:
Arragonis (10-20-2012), Christ (10-23-2012), Duffman (10-20-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
In that it discriminates only against imaginary Jews? Quite.
Not a discussion I care to get into in a forum about General Efficiency, but on a Venn diagram we would be looking at partially-overlapping sets.

Quote:
The fun part is we can't afford to.
Yeah my point would be that even it the one or the other doesn't do us in, the whiplash will.

Arragonis -- Think suspectnumber691 noticed you clicked the Thanks button in his thread?
Old 10-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #38 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Arragonis -- Think suspectnumber691 noticed you clicked the Thanks button in his thread?
It rained this afternoon so I was bored, very very bored. Even my belly button was fluff free and my jeans collection was organised by how dark a blue each pair was. I even thought about doing Mrs A's tax return.

Quote:
Arragonis:

Internet trolls serve a useful function; they keep us on our toes and sharpen our argumentation.
Have to disagree old bean - the only purpose they serve is to sit under bridges being crossed by goats in order to scare them. Other than that they are a waste of resources and we could happily continue without them.

Kind of like politicians and lawyers.

Quote:
Ferinstance, discussion of resource depletion should acknowledge R.B.Fuller's 1940 Fortune magazine articles.
There are lots and lots of articles and studies about this online and elsewhere - some say our civilisation will adapt and work and others warn of dire consequences. Some are written by scientists, economists and activists or a combination of those. Some were written in the 1700s, 1800s, 1900s and 2000s - all of them predicted we should be dead, starving, boiled out of existance, frozen to death, sitting in a fuel free society, living in a new ice age, living in a new desert, or just not living at all because the world ended. Have you read the latest end of world sci-fi - it's full of this stuff.

We aren't going to solve that question here. If you really think there is a dire emergency then be off to the hills with you, buy a gun, put in a bunker, buy lots of tinned food etc.

That'll work. For about 2 weeks.

Again, you will notice that Suspect... does not engage in that "debate" - we just get another posting of a story from somewhere, maybe an activist site (as in it's latest spewing) or something else. There is no solution, no suggested path forward, nothing - just constant mind bending pish which people react to. I hope it is in advertising because otherwise it's talents are wasted.

So my parting comment has to be - why bother engaging in this ? (and yeah, I know - it was a boring afternoon like I said). There are sites which deal with CAGW, Peak Oil etc. so why not discuss those there.

In fact why is this in the "General Efficiency" forum anyway ?

Mr Beard (and others), I wish you good luck. But honestly old chap, unsubscribe and go and look at threads about tires or heating systems or indeed anything else.

You will be happier - honest.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If you're on a forum on the internet and happy, you're doing it wrong.

Quote:
Not a discussion I care to get into in a forum about General Efficiency, but on a Venn diagram we would be looking at partially-overlapping sets.
It woukd probably be more fun than discussing peak oil.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #40 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...this conversation reminds me of something my Dad once said: "...What? Me prejudiced? No way! I hate everybody--equally!"

Reply  Post New Thread