Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
The "perpetual motion" thing pops up with some regularity.

Sure there is already internal drag through the engine compartment. I think a prop driven device would only add to it.
A grill block adds drag to engine compartment too. The fact that the turbine adds drag to the internal flow makes it the equivalent of a grill block. This isn't perpetual motion. Its recovery of energy that is going to waste. Smokey Yunick did something similar in stock car racing with a propeller on his alternator before Nascar outlawed it (back then cars didn't have all the electrical load they have today).

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
The basic squarish wingtip design of the day created vortices and was so inefficient that the wingtip pods bettered it so much, it still reduced drag despite the turbines.

Wingtip Vortex Turbine Investigation for Vortex Energy Recovery
The wing tip pods had nothing to do with it. The plane was tested with the pods and no turbine blades as a base line. To quote the abstract you linked to "The turbine, driven by the vortex flow, reduces the strength of the vortex, resulting in an associated induced drag reduction."

Quote:
The inefficiency was already built into the baseline vehicle.
This experiment won back some of that energy.

It's better to avoid the inefficiency to start with, rather than try to recover some of the wasted energy later.
A car with a radiator requires an in efficient design to keep the engine cool. You can't avoid it. Its better to recover some energy since your stuck with the inefficiency.

Note: Aircraft manufacturers are still looking into this and still paying people to study it. Why? Because an engine is more efficient if it doesn't have to provide power for auxiliary systems.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hot Tamale - '10 Toyota Prius III
You might be able to make it work if you have extensive ducting to, through, and after the radiator ala P51 Mustang or Walter Korff. Place the turbine in the flow after the radiator to get a "jet engine" effect from the expanding heated air.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hot Tamale - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
. . . like a classmate of mine who designed an electric car with giant wind turbines on the back to supplement battery power. Neat idea, not applicable to our universe.
Deploy 'em when you're stopped, stow 'em when you're moving.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
A grill block adds drag to engine compartment too.
It most certainly does not.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #25 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
ConnClark, step back a bit from this a bit.

Some things you probably have not thought of.
1) The turbine design required to get useful energy out of it would be larger than the radiators on most cars, this makes the idea impractical from the getgo.
2) The air going through the engine bay may create more drag than the air going around the outside of the car, but, it isn't a complete waste, some of the energy makes it through. I know this is tough to understand, but it is important, cause you seem have it in your head that the air going into the grill is almost like a reverse thruster, it's not. Maybe it has a Cd of like .8, but it isn't a parachute at 2.0. Main point here, the air is not just "Going to waste"
3) Any energy created by the apparent motion of the car has to come from somewhere, so taking this to an extreme, if you put a turbine capable of 100 Amps at 12 volt on a car, you would be getting an output of 16 Horsepower from the device. We all know that the power required to create the 16 HP is not 16 HP, it is much more due to the inefficiencies of the generator and turbine itself, being generous, let’s say it's 50% efficient. You would need 32 HP of effort to push the turbine to get 16 HP worth of power.

Now scale that down, it does not matter where you put your turbine, if it is creating some amount power, it’s needing twice that amount of power to do so, therefore requiring more power from the engine to keep it spinning. Since the current (I know it's a stupid idea) way of making electricity comes from a relatively direct input from the engine, it is still more efficient. Reason being, anything you do to create more drag on the car (Like put a turbine on it) requires more engine power that has to travel through the **Ding** **Ding** **Ding** Drivetrain.....(ya know, tranny, differential, axels & all) So if the drivetrain drag needs to be overcome to create more power, it is that much less efficient. Maybe it isn't a lot, say 10%, but that means your 32 HP now needs to be 35 HP from the engine.

If you want to argue your point further, you need to quantify things for us. You can't just say "Its recovery of energy that is going to waste"....Tell us how much energy is wasted and how your turbine in the grill is going to efficiently recover it. Use real life, honest numbers, then we can talk. If you just go around sayin, "Golly, it just makes sense to me!", this does not qualify for an argument to make your point valid.

Don't say, "Smokey Yunick did something similar in stock car racing with a propeller on his alternator before Nascar outlawed it (back then cars didn't have all the electrical load they have today)." and not tell us how much better fuel economy he got doing it, or why NASCAR disallowed it. (Probably because it wasn’t “Stock”, it is the National Association of Stock Car Racing after all, I doubt it was because his car was just zipping past everyone.)

Remember, it is you who came up with an idea that maybe works, it's not up to us to prove to you why it won't work, it’s up to you to prove it does. That’s the way big boys play the game.

Any way you slice it, it comes up a fail. A grill generator is Less Efficient than the existing means of creating electricity.

Would you get something out of it? Absolutely!!! There is no one here that’s gonna say your idea does not work for generating electricity.

Will you get something for nothing, and, therefore have an efficiency gain out of it? Never in a million years!!! Not while P=IE and E=MC².

Trust me on this....I know how to type C².
Old 09-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #26 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
It most certainly does not.
So your saying things like this don't impede air flow into the engine compartment?

Old 09-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
ConnClark, step back a bit from this a bit.

Some things you probably have not thought of.
1) The turbine design required to get useful energy out of it would be larger than the radiators on most cars, this makes the idea impractical from the getgo.
I never said it was to power the whole electrical system and if you look at the specs of the device I linked to it only puts out 6A @ 85mph. Way less than a typical car needs. View it as an assist. Any electricity it generates is energy not needed to be produced by the alternator.
Quote:
2) The air going through the engine bay may create more drag than the air going around the outside of the car, but, it isn't a complete waste, some of the energy makes it through. I know this is tough to understand, but it is important, cause you seem have it in your head that the air going into the grill is almost like a reverse thruster, it's not. Maybe it has a Cd of like .8, but it isn't a parachute at 2.0. Main point here, the air is not just "Going to waste"
So are you saying the whole point of a grill block is a waste of time? Or are you saying we should channel more air through a path of high drag? ( just listen to your self).

The theory behind a grill block is that you have more than enough air flowing through the engine compartment to cool the engine in stock configuration. A grill block creates resistance to air flowing into the engine compartment and thus forces more air around the car which has less drag.

Quote:

3) Any energy created by the apparent motion of the car has to come from somewhere....

{rant omitted}

Any way you slice it, it comes up a fail. A grill generator is Less Efficient than the existing means of creating electricity.
Here is where you fail to comprehend what I'm saying. I'm saying a turbine is a more efficient grill block as you get something back.
Quote:

Would you get something out of it? Absolutely!!! There is no one here that’s gonna say your idea does not work for generating electricity.

Will you get something for nothing,
no
Quote:

and, therefore have an efficiency gain out of it?
I won't have an efficiency gain from getting something for nothing but I will have an efficiency gain.
Quote:
Never in a million years!!! Not while P=IE and E=MC².
So your saying nasa is wrong and this won't work when it does?

Wingtip Vortex Turbine Investigation for Vortex Energy Recovery
Old 09-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

GreenTurtle (Retired) - '01 Toyota Echo Sedan
90 day: 44.85 mpg (US)

Zulu - '14 Honda CR-Z
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
I'm saying a turbine is a more efficient grill block as you get something back.
Only one way to find out. A-B-A testing. The price is quite prohibitive though.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #29 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
We really have three options here. The turbine in the grill would be better than nothing. However, it won't be as good as a grill block.

Best to worst:

1) A grill block reduces the energy required to cut through the air by redirecting air to aerodynamically cleaner areas of the car.

2) The turbine may marginally reduce the energy required to cut through the air (overspill around the turbine like the grill block). At the same time, it will create drag by taking the air that passes through it and generate electricity at a pretty horrible efficiency. I think most windmills are ~30%. I doubt this is any better. Keep in mind that you've already spent energy to get your vehicle up to speed with an inefficient ICE (~30% efficient), so you have those losses on top of it. Air that has passed through the turbine will have very little pressure left and therefore is of little use for cooling since you need a pressure differential across the radiator to get flow.

3) An open grill will just waste energy as we all know most grills are way oversized and can be blocked quite a bit without any problems.
mcrews (09-26-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

number 9 - '89 Geo Metro LSi
90 day: 49.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnClark View Post
. . . it only puts out 6A @ 85mph.
With highly turbulent input air and restricted flow behind, wouldn't it put out much less? (Oh, and you'd be going slower, too.)

Reply  Post New Thread