Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2014, 02:42 AM   #111 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
It was in the way putting the motor and tranny back in, and got left off. I guess it's more of a resonator tube than snorkel. It's not any louder without it, either. I thought it would be, but nope. Not Much weight in it really, but it's off.
I am still running the stock air cleaner box too.

Thanks,
Victor

The Following User Says Thank You to vrmouseyd15b For This Useful Post:
Cobb (12-14-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #112 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda is one of several vehicles that comes with a CAI. They even go to using plastic intake manifolds to help reduce heating of the intake air.

Without the resonator, how are you going to play us the song of your people?
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobb For This Useful Post:
vrmouseyd15b (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 10:30 PM   #113 (permalink)

Team "Old SKOOL"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Honda is one of several vehicles that comes with a CAI. They even go to using plastic intake manifolds to help reduce heating of the intake air.

Without the resonator, how are you going to play us the song of your people?
For now, the Minion is my noisemaker. The 3" exhaust doesn't let me sneak up on anybody, unless I EOC

The stock exhaust is almost a nice thing for now, since Skiddy's not lowered yet and has her stock wheels and old school paint. It's a got very passive, happy demeanor. I love the shoulda-coulda looks I get in traffic with this car - she gets a lot of smiles going down the road
I imagine I won''t start to get the stink-eye like I do in the Minion until I'm scraping cracks in the pavement and making people close their windows in response to my exhaust (like in the Minion) - that's more my style anyway

First thoughts on driving without the passenger mirror -
IT'S A LITTLE SCARY!! As cool and JDM as it does look, and as much (or little) as it may affect the aero on the highway, It's going to take some getting used to I had to back out of my tiny little garage after deleting the passenger mirror, and quickly realized how much I've come to rely on it over the years. I'll have to put some more miles on without the mirror to get used to it, but it will sure "keep me honest" out there - I'm always good about checking the side of the car AFTER looking in the mirror, now I'm looking around for real....

Notes as far as the swapping of the tranny's guts - I can't find out for sure if the VX guts will fit in the WAGO's tranny case anywhere online. starting to consider buying the "cable/ hydro conversion" tranny mount kit for now and using it as a "template" for my solid boost-ready mounts when that day finally rolls around. At least then I can start driving on this beautifully color matched vx tranny and figure out the cable connection to my hydro tranny.
I've secretly been dying to take that next big challenge on this project anyway, but with the holidays all around money is sure flowing, but not so much toward the build right now, and it's hard to spend too much time in the garage with so much going on all around here..

Consider it safe to say that I'm ready to throw the VX tranny in right now, but my wallet isn't up to the job just yet
I think I saw the tranny mount kit for $150 somehwere, and the bearings/seals kit is about $115. Shouldn't take too long to find the right stuff for the right price. A 10 mpg jump would really make me happy, and the drop in highway prm's should make the motor happy.
Not sure at that point if the '89 starter will fit.. damn. Cross that bridge when I get to it!!

That said, I might just have a recently rebuilt '89 tranny for sale in the near future Special "modder" pricing available, very low miles

Thanks,
Victor

The donkey CRX (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 03:29 AM   #114 (permalink)
0.29 Cd and decreasing

Red Rocket - '90 honda CRX HF
Team Honda
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 53.46 mpg (US)
would this intake be considered a CAI? I would think it's a WAI because it brings in air above the exhaust manifold.

When I removed my passenger mirror on my CRX it was REALLY weird, but my car has almost no blind spots and I had a really good view. Then when I drive my truck I feel like a special gift has been dropped on me because i have a passenger mirror

The Following User Says Thank You to tvbd56 For This Useful Post:
vrmouseyd15b (12-15-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #115 (permalink)

Team "Old SKOOL"

Not sure what to call the intake other than "modded"

I'm in my work truck now with lots of mirrors, and I feel blessed too now! Skiddy has plenty of glass, I'll just need some time to adjust to the mirror-less drive

Old 12-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #116 (permalink)
Beating EPA Unmodded

Blue Eagle - '10 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)
When I first started driving I didn't use any mirrors at all, just used my bare eyes (except the indoor rearview mirror). Then I started using the mirrors once I officially got the car and didn't have to adjust my mirrors every time. Now I just use whatever I feel comfortable with, usually just my eyes though, I trust those more

Old 12-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #117 (permalink)

Team "Old SKOOL"

In a world laden with conveniences, ecomodders choose manual transmissions, and the more advanced take stuff like mirrors and power steering / a/c off completely for better ÆRO

I'm no master ecomodder, but I'm trying new things for sure. .

update on the tranny mounts- they're easy to find for a "b series" motor/tranny, not so easy to come by for the d series that I love so much. Hasport has a really expensive set that I'm looking at for ideas on maybe fabricating my own, otherwise it'll have to be the "cheaper chicken" idea and I'll try and stuff the vx guts into the wagovan tranny case.

Thanks,
Victor

Old 12-15-2014, 11:56 PM   #118 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
I'd be looking for a CRX HF tranny. Drops right in and a taller final drive than the VX. Or even better, the DX/Wagon 1st-4th gears combined with the HF 5th and final. I wish I had done that with my HF tranny. I also wish I had known about and replaced the bad bearing in my junkyard HF tranny.

I have no outside mirrors! Just little convex mirrors inside the car.
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

The Following User Says Thank You to Gasoline Fumes For This Useful Post:
vrmouseyd15b (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 01:11 AM   #119 (permalink)

Team "Old SKOOL"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
I'd be looking for a CRX HF tranny. Drops right in and a taller final drive than the VX. Or even better, the DX/Wagon 1st-4th gears combined with the HF 5th and final. I wish I had done that with my HF tranny. I also wish I had known about and replaced the bad bearing in my junkyard HF tranny.

I have no outside mirrors! Just little convex mirrors inside the car.

Maybe on the next one, Gasoline Fumes! That's a good idea for sure. The older cable transmissions aren't good for the power I'm going to put thru it.
Went balls-out crazy online and bought this! Merry Christmas to you, Skiddy!

That's the real-deal bolt on conversion kit for the hydro tranny, and it's got the cable figured out as well as being ready for more power than I plan on making. Done!

Going to start tearing into my d15z1 motor's bottom end soon, making a list and checking it twice

that's it for tonight!

Thanks,
Victor

OG VX (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #120 (permalink)

Team "Old SKOOL"

Late start at work today! I found time to clean the d15z1 motor a little this morning - wanna see?

This is the stock VX intake manifold. I've run it thru the blast cabinet some and it cleaned up pretty nice. also have the new gaskets for the manifold and the EGR valve, and of course the EGR valve (this will porbably end up in the for sale threads soon)

Here is the VX head, also stock. Chances are this guy will end up for sale as well, without the vtec solenoid:

started cleaning the block itself - the oil pan had hole punched in it and plugged with a little plastic thingie - junkyard S.O.P. ?? it pierced the oil sump as well, but I'm pretty sure I'll need an extended sump for my fatty 5qt oil pan anyway. No harm, no foul

Really only need the block and a few things, but I just went to town with the wire brush and chemicals. knocked a lot of tarnish off the internals too:

Tearing the motor down any further than this would make me just a little uncomfortable - and my "mechanical yoda" is starting to feel a little left out on Skiddy's build right now too

Two years ago, I stopped after getting the Minion's valve cover and accessory belts off, afraid to pull the timing belt - not sure of myself! This time I threw a motor and tranny together when Skiddy died, and surprised my "yoda" by driving over there with my own "frankenstein" of a motor!

This will be a whole lot more involved than a little "frankenstein" that gets slapped together. This will be serious I'm going to learn about what goes on inside the bottom end like never before, should be one hell of a ride! (that's why I have to have my putt putt motor in Skiddy - this might take a while)

Thanks,
Victor

Reply  Post New Thread