Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #31 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
What's the stock rubber on the Insight?
Dunlop SP31A - 175/65/R15 (fairly narrow with a tall aspect ratio)

They are marketed as having a low RR -- so far, snow traction is excellent, compared to a similar (low RR and sized) Michelins and a set of new BFG's on the TSX. I'm not crazy about the aspect ratio, but the 15" wheels should add a little more "sport" than the 14s.

I had a beef with a defective Dunlop tire that blew into 2-sections on a new Civic in '96 -- it involved a call from their attorney instead of customer service (and just how rudely they handled the claim). Since then, I vowed not to buy another Dunlop, but I suppose Honda did on my behalf this time (shakes fist). Hopefully they have improved in quality...

RH77

_
_
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #32 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
Dunlop SP31A - 175/65/R15 (fairly narrow with a tall aspect ratio)

They are marketed as having a low RR -- so far, snow traction is excellent, compared to a similar (low RR and sized) Michelins and a set of new BFG's on the TSX. I'm not crazy about the aspect ratio, but the 15" wheels should add a little more "sport" than the 14s.

I had a beef with a defective Dunlop tire that blew into 2-sections on a new Civic in '96 -- it involved a call from their attorney instead of customer service (and just how rudely they handled the claim). Since then, I vowed not to buy another Dunlop, but I suppose Honda did on my behalf this time (shakes fist). Hopefully they have improved in quality...

RH77
Have you settle in yet on the ride? I had Dunlops on the Mazda.
Warmers temps this week hows she doing?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #33 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
RH77 -

So this is what your tread looks like? :

Dunlop SP31 A/S

Quote:
The SP31 A/S is Dunlop's Passenger All-Season tire developed for drivers looking to match the Original Equipment (O.E.) needs of their fuel-efficient compact and sub-compact cars. Used as O.E. on Honda Civic Hybrid, Fit and Insight models, the SP31 A/S is designed to help maintain the vehicle's original fuel efficiency and environmental impact while providing all-season traction in dry, wet and wintry conditions, including in occasional light snow.

The SP31 A/S combines traditional energy efficient tire technologies (efficient tread compound, a narrow width asymmetric tread design, reduced beginning tread depth and optimized internal construction) to maximize vehicle efficiency and driving range.
Rated at 44 PSI max and weighing 16 lbs.

It has an interesting outside tread. It alternates between series of "I" slits and series of "H" slits in the rubber.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 01-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #34 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
So this is what your tread looks like?
Yup, that's the tire. I noticed the channel the other day -- I'm thinking it's may carry similar components from the Goodyear "Aquatread" to move water away from the outside tread.

Apparently they get loud after a while. I would oppose with the deep snow votes at the Tire Rack website. On the contrary, the vehicle itself may handle traction well. I'm basing it on climbing up a sloped driveway in about 6+ inches of snow -- it just dug its way in and gently ascended the grade. While moving 3 other vehicles on the same day ('05 Civic, TSX and Teggy) they all became stuck and required running starts to make it. Around town and on the highway, 2-3" of accumulation proved to be no problem.

Wet Weather forward traction is good, as is skid-pad adherence (off-ramps), and resistance to hydroplaning. But this is all on less than 300 miles. Dry performance is pending on, well, dry weather

The Insight is getting break for a while -- I'm driving a rental '09 Ford Fusion V-6 until next Friday for work. 221 HP is quite a lot (it seems like way too much)! It cruises at about 28 mpg highway, which is considerably less than the 4-cylinder version. Monday I had an '09 Focus SE in South Bend for about 20 miles (it's a nice evolution of the model lineup). Ford is looking good these days -- the quality seems to have returned. Perhaps more on those later

RH77

_
_
Old 02-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #35 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,964 Times in 3,606 Posts
Any more impressions to share about the new car, Rick? You've had it nearly a month...
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 02-05-2010, 02:16 AM   #36 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Any more impressions to share about the new car, Rick? You've had it nearly a month...
Definitely! I just got my plates, so it has been a month...

First, the car is fun to drive (either as an EcoDriver, or average Joe). Acceleration can be brisk if needed, but is rarely used. Handling at the limit is quite neutral on stock tire pressures (there is little compromise in this category), but with slight understeer. But we focus on FE here, right?

The hybrid system is a complex balance of give-and-take. The goal is to only use the battery when needed, since it takes more energy to charge than receive. It takes added concentration to achieve 50+ MPG. Engine-on coasting is common and manipulating the "ECO" button allows hill climbs without depleting the battery (and requires some downshifing to balance engine vs. motor. It tends to have a mind of its own, managing the system, so it takes some practice.

The interior room is great and features are more than adequate. At 650 miles, it still needs time to wear-in and offer maximum FE. Honestly, I look forward to driving it, simply to learn more about it, and just to enjoy the road.

For the money, I found it to be the best deal (there is plenty of room for 4-5 passengers and cargo). Conversely, it appeals to the untrained hypermiler, so it tends to charge the battery when you don't want it to, but allows smoother driving (with ECO-on). I found that there are intricacies to master. Still, it's a fun ride.

I'm on the 2nd tank in Winter, with the SG showing 47 MPG. Once the vehicle breaks-in, this should improve.

The battery pack is small and weaker in comparison to the Prius, but at a fraction of the price for what you get. The interior layout is driver-intuitive and very appealing. The SG is a must to get instant FE and to simultaneously see the info-display of operation (i.e., what is used: battery, ICE, and combos).

Compared to the Integra, the temptation of excess power isn't there, so I find myself driving more efficiently. Overall, I wish I could program or control the hybrid system (without voiding the warranty), but that's part of the challenge

RH77

_
_
Old 03-21-2010, 01:57 AM   #37 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Anything new to report?

Old 03-23-2010, 01:26 AM   #38 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

The latest and best tank (in warmer weather) has been nearly 46 MPG -- it snowed 6-8" and pulled-down the total at the end, or it may have gotten close to 50.

I haven't been driving much. I blew-out a disc in my lower back and had some surgery, so mostly just short trips will the norm for a few weeks.

The car does everything I want and need it to. It's either sporty and responsive or easy-going and efficient. Either way, it hauls cargo quite well.

Interior styling and ergonomics are cutting-edge. Despite its quirky, outward appearance, I've gotten some random compliments on on dash design and interest on how it drives, etc. For a discrete little car, it can draw some curiosity.

The battery's weak capacity is the biggest complaint. You have to keep in mind that it takes more energy to charge than it takes to assist. The best practice to keep a light foot, scrub speed on hills, and charge it up when you can. Also, the Auto-Stop system has a mind of its own (won't shut-down when expected), which is normal. Several criteria have to be met, especially in cooler weather. These are frankly minor beefs, for the overall price of the vehicle.

Basically, most of the techniques we learn here can be applied. EOC is discouraged with the CVT, so other tricks have been used: one is to shift to neutral to allow more distance when needed and then "brake" with the electric motor/generator with the brake pedal or in-gear-coast to make sure the batt stays topped-off. Key off re-booting the system isn't the most efficient on startup, either.

Mods: 50 PSI in the tires, and WAI (which will be changed to stock when it warms-up). It has a great personality

In short, I still love driving the Insight. Every trip is an opportunity for a record run, but while having fun at the same time.

More to come when I'm not recovering...

RH77

_
_
Old 03-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.43 mpg (US)
Just curious, does the 2nd gen Insight also use a NiMH battery, or have they come up with something new? Also, is there any way to wire up an IMA inhibit switch on your car? On my car it is a simple as a switch parallel to the clutch safety switch, I'm not sure if there is a way to do this on an auto.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:51 PM   #40 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,964 Times in 3,606 Posts
It's NIMH, Formula.

---

Good to read another update, Rick. Now rest up and take care of that back!

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread