Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Seeker

red - '02 Honda Insight
Yes, the main purpose was to hold lean burn more easily.
I wonder if there still may be some gains even in a non-lean burn Insight.

Madison, Wisconsin
www.evpowers.com
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbecky View Post
RH77,
Is there a way to do a "warm air modification" to a 2010 Insight?
I own a 2002 providing the intake warm air from behind the catalytic converter, rather than cold air from the front of the car makes a big difference in gas mileage.
Since the filter-box is close to the engine, a snorkel tube is used to pull cool air from the grille area, as typical. It seems simple to remove the tube and use a custom setup to redirect the source from the exhaust manifold area (which has been an easier location to source warm air quickly). This time it's on the back of the engine as opposed to Teggy.

So, with the 3-stage VTEC, there's the typical high-performance cam lobe, but also the ability for cam independence (EV-Mode, Valves Closed), and a low-speed cam for motor-independence (I'm thinking this mode may benefit most from warm air). The dual-stage ignition adds another level of complexity. There isn't a lot of documentation on this engine's specific operation.

I have about 100 miles-worth of sensor data to review. Perhaps it will give some "insight" into engine operation. (insert canned laughter here)

RH77

_
_
Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Was admiring a black one today; quite a looker. It's no Tempo, but it would do.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Honda Media Newsroom Release: 2010 Honda Insight - Powertrain

Specifics on the Insight 2 engine from Honda.

regards
Mech
Old 01-15-2010, 03:56 AM   #25 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Honda Media Newsroom Release: 2010 Honda Insight - Powertrain

Specifics on the Insight 2 engine from Honda.

regards
Mech
Nice find. The following paragraph is where I really want to learn more...

Quote:
The Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) is a lightweight, compact system that ensures optimal air-fuel ratio by monitoring throttle position, engine temperature, intake-manifold pressure, intake-air mass flow atmospheric pressure, exhaust-gas oxygen content and intake-air temperature to control fuel delivery via multi-holed injectors mounted in the intake port of the cylinder head.
How these sensors play on one another is the key. I guess it's not unlike any other modern, fuel-injected plant, but at least the press release gives me the bank of sensors to collect and compare data values under different variables.

Frank -- I had to get the black one with dark interior (which was hard to find). It gives it a sportier look, IMO. But alas, it's no Tempo. I found out recently that my Wife's family had a Tempo back in the 90's (high school years -- until it was in a bad accident that totalled it ) It may have still been around today!

RH77

_
_
Old 01-15-2010, 05:23 AM   #26 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Black- sweet! Maybe in 10 years I'll look for one of these well used...

Old 01-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #27 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
If the price of ten year old Toyonda hybrids is any indication, you may have to wait twenty.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.5 mpg (US)
Congrats on the purchase! As another driver new to the hybrid game I know how much fun it is to see the awesome numbers these cars can pull. Like you, I was considering a Prius until I realized that even fairly high mileage examples still weren't going to be had cheaply. And ultimately I'm glad I went the route I did, because not only did I pay at least 3 grand less than I would have for a Prius with similar mileage, but I got to satisfy my stick shift fix (not even possible with current hybrids) and got a car with nice crisp handling too. I never test drove a Prius but if it's anything like other Toyotas it just doesn't have the involving driving experience that my Civic has. The more I drive it the more impressed I am with this car's handling. Even with 70 series tires it has very little lean or understeer and great road feel. As someone who appreicates good handling I'm curious what your driving impressions are of the Insight, did they keep the Honda genes or borrow some from Toyota?

Old 01-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula413 View Post
Congrats on the purchase! As another driver new to the hybrid game I know how much fun it is to see the awesome numbers these cars can pull. Like you, I was considering a Prius until I realized that even fairly high mileage examples still weren't going to be had cheaply. And ultimately I'm glad I went the route I did, because not only did I pay at least 3 grand less than I would have for a Prius with similar mileage, but I got to satisfy my stick shift fix (not even possible with current hybrids) and got a car with nice crisp handling too. I never test drove a Prius but if it's anything like other Toyotas it just doesn't have the involving driving experience that my Civic has. The more I drive it the more impressed I am with this car's handling. Even with 70 series tires it has very little lean or understeer and great road feel. As someone who appreicates good handling I'm curious what your driving impressions are of the Insight, did they keep the Honda genes or borrow some from Toyota?
I'm glad you like your Civic! I also didn't want to completely trade-off a sporty edge for FE or price -- it's a good compromise.

There is definitely a learning curve with the Hybrid transition -- although without trying, I'm getting what would be my best tank from the Integra. The goal is already achieved with the purchase, but more potential is there...

I miss not having a stick shift, but the 7-speed CVT understands the IMA and i-DSi system better than I could ever figure. If I want some fun rev-time, the paddle shifters can drop the ratio or into an adaptive "Low" range With the higher FE numbers, any lapse into "heavy footedness" drops the tank average quite a bit, so I'm hesitant (also, I still need to break the engine in before a redline runup). I had an uphill highway merge into fast traffic yesterday -- it all came together to get up to speed quickly, at about 5000 RPM and full assist.

We have had a lot of snow (which is now melting), so I haven't had the chance to test the suspension on dry pavement yet. So far it retains "Honda handling" (the little tires would likely break loose before body roll forces them to push). There's a nice corner that I can test over/under steer that is just waiting for some sun. The ride is pretty stiff, which may translate into some sporty handling. My true test of handling is the double lane-change / slalom. I left the factory-spec air in the tires for a true baseline (and for snow/ice traction).

So far, I'd say that it's "Responsive" -- more to follow on the review!

RH77

_
_
Old 01-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Congrats! I like the exterior looks better than the Prius and it's sportier for sure. Have fun. looking forward to your post-baseline numbers.

What's the stock rubber on the Insight?

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Reply  Post New Thread