Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Bought a New Honda Insight

I finally took the plunge and bought new Honda Insight!

Specs:
2010 Honda Insight EX 5-Door (non-Navigation)
Black over Dark Blue
98-Hp 1.3L SOHC 8-Valve 4-cyl (with 123 ft-lbs. torque total from the electric motor)
IMA Hybrid System coupled to a CVT Automatic with Paddle Shifters

We waited to take advantage of year-end deals and came away with a low interest rate and competitive out-the-door price. I had to wait on a dealer trade (through 2 snow storms), so we took delivery yesterday (I would take a pic, but it's currently covered in road salt and snow )

Decision to Purchase:
This decision has been based on research over about 8 months (with much input from threads here at EcoModder -- thanks to those who tolerated my ramblings ). Since becoming an EcoDriver, I knew that it was important to replace my daily driver with one that offered significantly better FE and emissions. Smaller, gas-powered vehicles didn't offer the room or FE that a new hybrid could. The 2010 Prius line was simply too expensive in base trim. I was able to purchase the upper lever EX-trim much cheaper. The excellent family track record with Honda/Acura reliability sealed the decision. A used Prius was an attractive prospect, but didn't fit the long-term replacement scheme with the higher odometer readings for cheaper models. The gap began to close on new vs. used. Financing, insurance, and personal ownership maintenance made new, cheaper.

Driving Impression:
There is an abnormally high amount of snow on side streets and blowing snow on highways and elsewhere in the KC Metro area. From mile #000014 to ~50, the average FE has been a touch over 40 MPG with some short-runs on cold starts. Winter performance is excellent, with a host of stability, braking, and traction controls/aides. It really just trudges through the snow with ease. During earlier test drives, the Honda felt more responsive than the Prius (up to '09) and has better interior and instrument panel, in my opinion. The 2nd Gen. Prius is used in comparison due to pricing. FE is down in comparison, but the cost, simplicity and brand loyalty won out.

When the weather improves, a better analysis can be offered (it's currently windy, near zero-F temps with significant snow cover). Over 5 test drives in good weather, I liked the driver feedback, driving position, ECO feedback/operations system (regulates a variety of systems, including heating-A/C, muted throttle response, and mild cruise control response), and the styling is pretty swift. The FE potential is there: documented moderate EcoDriving yields 60 MPG. I'm looking forward to getting some good numbers after the break-in procedure.

I really enjoy driving this car. It's simple and efficient, yet still has personality.

Teggy is still in the stable as a Winter runner and for trips to the recycling center plus other cargo.

Once it warms up, expect a full report. I need to dive into the research here, learn a whole new driving style, and get to know the new Insight.

RH77

_
_
The Following User Says Thank You to RH77 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-06-2010)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
RH77 -

Congratulations! One of my friends got a black 2nd Gen Insight and she loves it.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 01-09-2010, 01:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
Thanks for the review. The problem with a new car is that you're not likely to want to stick a bunch of Coroplast all over it for blocks and dams and whatever.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Hyundai Accent - '01 Hyundai Accent
90 day: 38.4 mpg (US)

Gixer - '97 Suzuki GSXR600
90 day: 43.12 mpg (US)
I'm jealous, congrats. Temps are supposed to be in the 30s and 40s all next week.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. I look forward to seeing what a competent driver can get out of the 2nd gen Insight.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Yes, it'll be good to see what an EcoModder can do with the new Insight. Even though it's brand new, I hope you do decide to slap on some plexiglass and coroplast. Maybe some body-colored rear wheel skirts?

That's very good mileage for this kind of weather. I don't know about the 2010 Insight, but my 2000 has the same battery chemistry, and IMA is unimpressive in single-digit °F weather. Regenerative braking is so weak I mostly just DWB instead, and the battery's usable capacity is tiny. I still need regen to run 12V loads, so I allow it to regen in the background while the engine is warming up, so it warms up faster.

Good luck with yours, and post with your findings as you figure out how to drive a CVT IMA.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

Thanks for the well-wishes (and complements on driving style). I still have a LOT to learn

I probably won't do a whole lot of modding at first -- mostly driving style adjustments and just learning the car.

Buying this car was a huge pain. I just simplified the process and made offers, "out-the-door" without options -- so no EBH or floormats yet. I can get some cheapy mats, but the block heater would have been a nice addition. I should have an OEM heater installed by next Fall/Winter. With the black paint and dark interior, I'm really in the market for a beaded seat cushion

The plan is to drive without a lot of technique at first, to establish a well-defined baseline.

In some highway driving today, it's definitely apparent that it needs a little more aero help to pull off some decent numbers (the majority of my driving is highway). The TSX has a better Cd, but the Insight's CdA is unpublished or hard to find . There are several aero treatments, so where it needs help has to be carefully examined.

The regen seems to be pretty aggressive, but at the same time, it easily digs into the "assist" during even light acceleration. With a light foot, you can run completely on the engine around the neighborhood, even in 4-6" of snow accumulation. Temps haven't cracked 10F yet, and FE remains at 38.x. The number dropped after 70 MPH runs on the highway. Odo = 99 miles.

I need to attach the SG to monitor a few parameters. There's no temp gauge, just a "Cold" dash light. Maybe it could benefit from warmer intake air. It would be easy to adjust and put it back to stock for the free oil changes

In the meantime, I may throw on the data-logger to see what's going on in there.

More to come!

RH77

_
_
Old 01-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Sports Cars

Team Honda

EV-Only Mode

I discovered a way to run in "EV" mode pretty easily.

At speeds greater than ~11 MPH, lifting the accelerator, then very lightly applying throttle evokes power from the battery only. There is some drag from the engine as it maintains compression, with the valves in the closed position, but downhill runs or efficient deceleration can be manipulated.

I haven't found much at all on driving this vehicle efficiently (or the highly technical aspects), so the plan is to compile some methods and information as a primer in developing a separate thread.

Other HI-2 owners are welcomed to add any info...

RH77

_
_
Old 01-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Congrats, Rick! Nice to see you managed to bag one.

(Special request: please don't call it a "HI-2". Some sites are maddening in their use of acronyms that make it hard for newbies coming fresh to the world of high effciency cars & mods to ease into new knowledge. Why add more TLA hurdles?)

Happy to see another hybrid join the fleet. Envious even! Looking forward to following your progress with it.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
jkp1187 (03-21-2010)
Old 01-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Black Beauty - '09 Honda Accord EX-L
90 day: 27.44 mpg (US)
Way to go Rick!

I am so jealous because the Honda Insight came out two months after I bought my Honda Accord last year!

I would have bought one if I had to do it all over again.

Many people are going to be watching your MPG values. I hope you knock it out of the park!

Reply  Post New Thread