Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #41 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Comment A: the sheetrocker sure as heck doesn't wait for boards to dry. I THINK they dont shrink too much on length. And generally the anchor screws are about 12" apart in the center and 6" on the edges. While standard construction shrinks, it doesn't seem to affect drywall, but I'm NOT a sheetrocker. An inch of shrink spread over 8 ft is tiny, fastener wise.

Comment B: the 2 x6 requirement is for added fiberlass insulaton between studs. doesn't apply here because you have more structure than required.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-02-2020, 07:13 PM   #42 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I question everything about the homebuilding industry. It boggles my mind why most homes are a bespoke work rather than built from a large number of existing plans. Then, why are we still cutting lumber and nailing it together? There's got to be a better way were either the frame is printed on site, or the materials are all precisely measured and cut at a factory, and then Ikea assembled on site.
Look at the supply chain. Dimensional lumber is universal application.

The moment you cut the wood and bundle it as a kit, you ruin its usefulness for anything else. I've built some random stuff from the popular sizes of wood at the lumberyard, but I'm not going to figure out which shed kit I need to buy to get the wood I need to build something random. And once you do bundle your kit, you introduce another supply problem, getting your kit into the hands of the customer- and then to his jobsite. Even the shed kit I built said "get pavers to use as a foundation" and "go buy particleboard for the roof and floor". Because even though the panels needed to be trimmed, there was no point in loading the kit down with something you can buy anywhere. What that kit taught me was that aside from the prehung door, I can build one better and cheaper on my own without a kit. And I'm confident that with a little thought, I can get a door too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
In the 1920s Bucky Fuller talked about having a car handbuilt in the driveway as an analogy. His Dymaxion bathroom and houses were his response.
Except cars are much easier to ship than houses, and much harder to build properly on site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 03-02-2020, 08:23 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts

The Captaincy of the ”Dymaxegrity” – “Bucky” Fuller | Interactive Architecture Lab

The [pre-production] Dymaxion house shipped in the cylinder on the left. Site prep consisted of a single, central pier and a ring of tie-downs. Every piece was light enough to be carried by one person.

A modern reinterpretation might use a Foundation Frame™* for the pier and ETFE pillows on a conduit frame.

ibid.

*for a vertex zenith dome. They support 5000lb each, so for a 10,000lb structure go edge zentih with two Foundation Frame piers.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:55 PM   #44 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I question everything about the homebuilding industry. It boggles my mind why most homes are a bespoke work rather than built from a large number of existing plans. Then, why are we still cutting lumber and nailing it together? There's got to be a better way were either the frame is printed on site, or the materials are all precisely measured and cut at a factory, and then Ikea assembled on site.

They do. Look into SIPS. You get a super insulated house under roof in a day.

Then you also have modular homes but the problem with them is the stigma. Since they come on a trailer with a title they are technically motor vehicles not house. They decline in value like a car even though many are built more robustly than a site built house.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:53 PM   #45 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Styrofoam is a good insulator.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:53 AM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Structural+Insulated+Panels+(SIPs)

I've built housing that used single-sided and double-sided panels. The SIPs are good for walls and roof panels, but when they were stacked for delivery the inner and outer surfaces rubbed on each other. With single sided panels the interior finish is applied separately after the structure is closed to the weather.

I see the examples in DDG Images are delivered with raw OSB on both sides.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:58 AM   #47 (permalink)
Not Doug

I do not know how complete this comparison is. Risinger shows pros and cons of each and does not seem to give his opinion on which one is the best:
I keep wondering if anyone has made any of these systems at home. With a hot-wire cutter you could make lego-style pieces of foam board, although I wonder how the rebar is attached. Is using cinder-block-sized pieces easier than using 4x8 sheets?

Imagine me making an 8x8 shed. Two 4x8 sheets in the inside for each wall, two on the outside. Attach and pour concrete.

Of course, pouring concrete would be a challenge. What would I do? Build huge ramps 8" high and push a wheelbarrow up there?

You can buy a spray foam kit. Home Depot gave one to the girl that built one of their sheds. All of the SIPs that I have seen have been between OSB, but when I tried to find someone making their own, I found Raycore, and they use dimensional lumber and foil radiant vapor barriers:

Risinger has a couple of videos about ZIP-Rs and I like the idea of a stick-built building with as much exterior insulation as interior, but the only pricese that I can find are for thin sheets. I do not see the R-rating, but I would not expect much from something hardly thicker than siding: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Huber-7-...7198/202089190
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	insulated-wall-roof-panels-sips.png
Views:	106
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	27634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Raycore SIPs.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	27635  
Old 03-03-2020, 08:18 PM   #48 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Does this meet building codes for anywhere in the U.S. [with regulations]?
Considering that American houses are typically built in a way that would be deemed quite precarious even for Brazilian standards, it does surprise me that some of those sheds wouldn't meet some of those building codes there.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:33 PM   #49 (permalink)
Not Doug

How many American houses would be considered precarious by Brazilian standards?

How many decades ago were they built?
Old 03-03-2020, 09:59 PM   #50 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
How many American houses would be considered precarious by Brazilian standards?
You only ate as well as you did in the war because Dick Cheney's old company had a no-bid, cost based contract to feed you. Your combat vehicle and your personal weapon were built by the lowest bidder. New home construction and inspections are subject to even less oversight than those pathetic standards. Unless specifically proven otherwise on every count, I assume that any random $#*+hole country* cares more for its citizens' lives than my own government cares for mine**.

* Brazil is not a $#*+hole country.

** As a white male voter in New Hampshire who is not a member of either party, I am politically one of the most important people on the planet every four years (and scarily over-represented in Congress the rest of the time). So by "mine" I really mean "some random Joe in flyover country".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Reply  Post New Thread