Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2019, 03:13 AM   #5611 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I like facts and am fine with them. I'm not fine with that website as a source, mostly because of how much they set back environmental causes and give fodder to global warming deniers and other anti-environmentalists.

Anything on that site is opinion unless they cite other sources. If these facts you say are presented on their site, they surely they listed their source. If so, that can be linked rather than be regurgitated by their zombie content-fabricators.
I see. But a little fact checking goes a long way.
The tender was won by Vattenfall of Sweden, and they are apparently still negotiating with Siemens Gamesa to provide the wind turbines. Siemens Gamesa is already hiring dozens of engineers and project managers in the area though.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-16-2019, 06:49 AM   #5612 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Interesting back and forth on impending collapse from Jeremy Lent and Jem Bendell. They are both focused on climate change caused disruptions. Which might end up being enough on it's own, but barely even consider resource depletion, energy depletion, and the growth demands for function of the debt based free market. But do both briefly allude to it as below. Which I would argue are at least as pressing. It's also interesting to see how they are debating each other when they both seem to mostly accept the same basic premises. As I have experienced here.
"The primary reason for this headlong fling toward disaster is that our economic system is based on perpetual growth—on the need to consume the earth at an ever-increasing rate. Our world is dominated by transnational corporations, which now account for sixty-nine of the world’s largest hundred economies. The value of these corporations is based on investors’ expectations for their continued growth, which they are driven to achieve at any cost, including the future welfare of humanity and the living earth.

It’s a gigantic Ponzi scheme that barely gets a mention because the corporations also own the mainstream media, along with most governments. The real discussions we need about humanity’s future don’t make it to the table. Even a policy goal as ambitious as the Green New Deal—rejected by most mainstream pundits as utterly unrealistic—would still be insufficient to turn things around, because it doesn’t acknowledge the need to transition our economy away from its reliance on endless growth."
https://www.resilience.org/stories/2...ep-adaptation/
https://www.resilience.org/stories/2...o-jem-bendell/

The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-01-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 11:34 AM   #5613 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
It’s a gigantic Ponzi scheme that barely gets a mention because the corporations also own the mainstream media, along with most governments.
What would we do if corporations weren't people and money wasn't speech? What then?

Old 04-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #5614 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
If money wasn't speech, then it wouldn't be useful as money. Whenever we spend money on anything, we're saying something, even if what we're saying is "build more of these things".

There needs to be more personal responsibility with regards to corporate culpability. I'm not sure if that means dissolving corporations as legal entities, but the prospect of profit needs to be tempered by the prospect of utter ruin when calculating risk. Risks taken when ruin is not possible is not a risk then, but an incentive to be reckless.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-17-2019), freebeard (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 08:05 PM   #5615 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
It's like a half glass of water. I see value elsewhere, but it does inform the 'invisible hand' if capitalism isn't stifled.

Corporations need a death penalty, humans not so much.

Almost forgot: Boing Boing ran a story on shopping bags. Organic cotton shopping bags have to be used 20,000 times before they're better for the Earth than plastic disposables

Also those mad scientists have instantiated Cthulu! "Cthulhu was real!" say scientists

Sollasina cthulhu. What could possibly go wrong.

Last edited by freebeard; 04-16-2019 at 08:23 PM..

Old 04-17-2019, 02:04 AM   #5616 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That sounds a little extreme, but it's something I've been giving some thought to as Salem (or is it all of Oregon?) is disallowing grocery stores from providing free bags.

It got me thinking a variety of things, like how insignificant the grocery bag is in comparison to the packaging of all the products it holds, or the fact that I'll now have to buy plastic bags to line my garbage cans with, and the $25 I just spent on Amazon to ship some heavier duty reusable bags to me, and the realization that they'll probably eventually get snagged on something and rip, and I'll have to throw the bag away and buy another one.

Then, every time I forget my reusable bags when I go grocery shopping, or simply miscalculate how many I'll need, I will resent environmentalism as a religion.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 04-17-2019, 06:40 AM   #5617 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Whenever we spend money on anything, we're saying something, even if what we're saying is "build more of these things".
The consumer can play a big part in steering the market. But our inherited brain attributes of small tribes of hunter/ gatherers over the course of half a million years are still ingrained in us and were never programmed to care about the future of more than getting through the next winter or dry season or a few years at the very most. And our reward centers are now hijacked by modern super normal stimuli to hunt for the next big deal instead of for food. Yeast in a modern bottle of grape juice.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #5618 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
bend or break

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Sorry again. Continued growth is the short sighted economic band aid to our already debt problem. Population is still increasing exponentially and is headed to the sharper end of the hockey stick even if it is down to 1.1%. Resource depletion is looming and we are already several decades into overshoot, propped up by cheap fossil fuel. Renewable energy and electrification will not match the current levels of living standard. There will be an economic collapse. The only question is will we voluntarily bend back down to a simpler lifestyle? Or wait until it all breaks.
Right now,my dart has landed in between the two extremes.There are visionary,disruptive,and transformational technologies in the pipeline;and perhaps a little room for intellectual optimism.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #5619 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

remain

Quote:
And it's not just energy depletion that will force a downward trend on economies. Most resources have been diminished. And have been harvested according to the best, first. So what remains of ore grades and overburden are more energetically remote to get.
In Jiangxi province, for instance, the city of Jingdezhen, famed for its high-quality clay, has been a center of porcelain production for centuries, serving both China’s imperial courts and, more recently, American and European markets. But after hundreds of years of exploitation, only about one million tons of clay remain—two percent of the area’s historic reserves.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/c...id=41266339255
There's a list of strategic resources recognized by the world community that we'll have to keep in mind.I don't have that in hand.
Other than those,there may be some wiggle room with respect to substitutions.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #5620 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ledgerdermain

Quote:
Elektrek is not nearly as bad. Green Car Reports is pretty honest.
I actually made my first every report to Facebook for fake news the other day. 350.org of all organisations. They shared a BS article by some unkown click baiter site with the headline " 30% of world energy now supplied by renewables". This is off by almost a factor of 10. I wrote messages to them and they tried to spin their way out of saying "The transition is happening. We are well on our way".
Hydro is pretty well topped out, wind has almost become visible on the chart. solar is still not visible.

The secret, intellectual dishonesty of that graphic is hiding in plain view.
The quanta reflect 'primary' energy,which includes 2nd-law of thermodynamics,which aren't associated with renewable energy,as their input energy is 'free.'
If you look at the net,useable energy available,after the conversion of fossil-fuel chemical energy,to actual 'work',you'll find that renewables are up to 300% higher than reported in this graphic.
It's also why we don't need to build out capacity equal to this 'primary' data point.
This is a perfect example of obfuscation on the part of the authors.

The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (04-17-2019)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam