Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2024, 01:36 PM   #1531 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,556 Times in 2,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
So far, 2024 is the hottest since records began.
I'll take being hot over having peices of fiberglass stuck in my foot any day of the week.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-20-2024, 03:20 PM   #1532 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,803 Times in 7,261 Posts
Quote:
' Hottest year on record '
Source?

I'm willing to be convinced about abiogenic origins and she makes good points, but I have questions:
Why the 'almost all' biogenic qualification (7:01)?
Why do the Tucker Carlson excerpts have subtitles that only paraphrase what is being said? Rumble doesn't even have subtitles, who added them?
Proofs:
isotope ratio
composition
My understanding is that the realization that came 50 years ago was because Russian oil fields that had been tapped out were somehow replenished. What was the isotope ratio in those cases?

Given that the origin is immaterial to the change in climate, do arsonist's forest fires fall in one set or the other?

What's the isotope ratio from vulcanism?

Why can't people make videos without 1 seconds clips of Freddy Mercury and Britney Spears interrupting the flow?

Old 07-20-2024, 07:08 PM   #1533 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ctif.org/news: How much do forest fires contribute to CO2 emissions? - it can range from 5 % to almost 300 times that of all fossil fuels burned, depending on the area and population density
Quote:
Worldwide, wildfires in 2021 released about 1.8 billion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere, compared to about 38 billion from fossil fuels and industry, according to Phys.org. That is less than 5 percent of total emissions.

However, for a country or region with a small population compared to the forested area, the percentage which forest fires emit can be quite different.

In the Canadian province of British Columbia - a province with only 5 million people and vast forests - forest wildfires in recent years have emitted more CO2 than all fossil fuel burned by the population and industry in the province.
So... what percentage are human-caused? Like Lahaina.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-05-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 09:48 AM   #1534 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,156 Times in 1,020 Posts
When you get a payment for clicks, you don't have a need for reading the article, just the click and automatic download payment. Further clicks for outrageous embedded statements causes more payments. The stuff in the middle is just fluff. Hence the term clickbait.
Old 07-22-2024, 11:54 AM   #1535 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,317 Times in 4,725 Posts
' source '

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Source?

I'm willing to be convinced about abiogenic origins and she makes good points, but I have questions:
Why the 'almost all' biogenic qualification (7:01)?
Why do the Tucker Carlson excerpts have subtitles that only paraphrase what is being said? Rumble doesn't even have subtitles, who added them?
Proofs:
isotope ratio
composition
My understanding is that the realization that came 50 years ago was because Russian oil fields that had been tapped out were somehow replenished. What was the isotope ratio in those cases?

Given that the origin is immaterial to the change in climate, do arsonist's forest fires fall in one set or the other?

What's the isotope ratio from vulcanism?

Why can't people make videos without 1 seconds clips of Freddy Mercury and Britney Spears interrupting the flow?
1) The information is from FOX WEATHER, Channel 27.6, Dallas-Ft Worth television broadcasting area, last week, Meteorologist Ian Oliver reporting.
2) Can't help you with Tucker Carlson, he's dead to me.
3) Methane ice from outer space was a component of the accretion disc which formed our solar system. The 'Tungusta Forest' explosion event is thought to have originated from a methane asteroid impact explosion in this region. We don't know how to attribute the 'source' of the intersteller gas.
Some exoplanets are composed entirely of frozen methane.
4) Oil & Gas on Earth is typically from decomposed organisms, acted on by heat and pressure, as they were 'buried' under successions of ocean inundations driven by plate tectonics, over hundreds of millions of years. It cannot exist as a 'liquid' below a certain depth, due to the hydrocarbon vaporization temperatures encountered at the pressures there.
5) There are at least a half-dozen radioisotopes used in paleochronological work. I wouldn't be the guy to provide specifics. You'd find it in either SCIENCE, or NATURE.
6) I'm under the understanding that those who follow fires, always attempt to attribute them to either natural, or man-made origin.
7) 'Replenishing' oil fields are a 'REAL' thing. Hydrocarbon gases and liquids migrate along crustal fissures, moving upwards from deeper reservoirs ultimately getting captured under the caprock of formerly-producing fields.
8) Not sure about 'magma' radioisotopes, as ancient frozen 'lavas' are 'recycled' endlessly, from subduction and reheat under tectonic plates, rising again to form 'new' volcanos.
freebeard (07-22-2024), Piotrsko (07-23-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 12:55 PM   #1536 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Comes now abiotic Oxygen:

www.popularmechanics.com: 4,000 Meters Below Sea Level, Scientists Have Found the Spectacular 'Dark Oxygen'
Quote:
  • Scattered across an abyssal plain known as the Clarion-Clipperton Zone (CCZ) are polymetallic nodules that are a potato-sized prize for mining companies in search of materials needed for humanity's green energy transition.
  • A new study analyzing these modules reveals that these rocky lumps are capable of producing “dark oxygen” 4,000 meters below sea level where light cannot reach.
  • While this discovery could upend our understanding of how life started on Earth, the study also complicates negotiations around deep-sea mining regulations as it showcases how little we really know about the ocean’s depths.

aerohead (08-01-2024)
Old 07-28-2024, 05:42 PM   #1537 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

While everyone and their canine companion are excited about 'Dark Oxygen' this hasn't got as much attention:

science.nasa.gov: NASA Rocket Discovers New Energization Process in Upper Atmosphere
Quote:
Using data from the Twin Rockets to Investigate Cusp Electrodynamics (TRICE-2) rocket launch, NASA scientist Francesca Di Mare and Gregory Howes from the University of Iowa studied waves traveling down Earth’s magnetic field lines into the polar atmosphere. These waves were known to accelerate electrons, which pick up speed as they “surf” along the electric field of the wave. But their effect on ions — a more heterogenous group of positively charged particles, which exist alongside electrons — was unknown.

By estimating the ion mixture they were flying through — predominantly protons and singly-charged oxygen ions — the scientists discovered that these waves were accelerating protons as they circle about the Earth’s magnetic field lines as well as electrons as they surf the waves. The findings reveal a new way our upper atmosphere is energized.
Source, for those that can comprehend it: journals.aps.org: New Regime of Inertial Alfvén Wave Turbulence in the Auroral Ionosphere

Requires a reestimation of Solar forcing.

aerohead (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 11:40 AM   #1538 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,317 Times in 4,725 Posts
'what we really know '

If you have an above-TOP SECRET security clearance, the Dept. of The Navy could probably fill you in on some stuff. Of course, you'd have to take it to the grave.
Old 08-01-2024, 02:47 PM   #1539 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Long live and prosper, aerohead.

I'm content with Open Source intelligence. See S2 Underground: The Wire - July 31, 2024. He gives precedence (Flash/Immediate/Priority/Routine), bottom line up front, (body) then analyst's comment. All non-partisan.

What he has said is if the news is scary, first thing to check is whether the E-6Bs have turned their transponders off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self
While everyone and their canine companion are excited about 'Dark Oxygen'
At www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dark+oxygen I counted 100 stories (not counting the Shorts) and then the page refresh with even more.

No comment on the new avenue for Solar forcing?

Old 08-02-2024, 10:20 AM   #1540 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,156 Times in 1,020 Posts
Wouldn't necessarily be just E6 aircraft, and which transponder? Wouldn't matter they show on Doppler as a moving really fast something. Reason you cant see "stealth" aircraft is that they reflect very little back to the radar receiver

Btw: just because you have a secret clearance don't mean they will tell you. You have to have a "Need to know" mostly because you are part of that project. I myself know nothing about my associates work in HS350 sattelite while building things for my HS318.

Tags
climate change, cringe, lies, scam