Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #131 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPGranger View Post
The big road I use a lot has three lanes for each direction. I know normally being in the rightmost lane is considered the polite option, but I think me occupying the middle lane is the safest for everybody around. Speed LImit is 65 but people frequently do 10-15 over that. So when I go the speed limit in the right lane and traffic builds up behind me the middle lane becomes very hard to get into because people don't give others space down here. So I have moved to the center lane to allow traffic to flow around me on both sides for better flow and greater overall safety.

Am I inconsiderate for doing so? I don't think so, but if you ask the people who couldn't gauge my speed and have to slam on their brakes because they were edging on triple digits they would say otherwise.
I don't think you are inconsiderate, but, I do believe you are wrong.

Passing on the right is NEVER a good idea. When you drive, particularly at lower speeds, in the middle lane, you are reducing the number of safe passing lanes from 2 to 1. You are also inviting people to make unsafe passes on the right.

There is one situation where I will abandon the right lane for the middle. That is where the right lane has been hammered to bits by semis. In such a case, I will spare my suspension and drive in the smoother center. But, even then, I have my eye in the mirror for heavy traffic. If I see a numbe rof cars coming up simultaneously in a situation where some may try a right side pass, I will get over and deal with the rough pavement.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #132 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jousai7 View Post
I'm really, really, really confused as to how you think no one has the "right" to drive below the posted speed limit. That is exactly what everyone has. The posted limit is the LIMIT. Defined as the maximum allowed speed. Therefore everyone has the right to drive below it. Its has become well known that most people drive 5-10 over the limit. But this does not change the fact that it is a limit.

I'm actually a very courteous driver. I do drive normally 5 under the limit in my far right lane. And do consider the flow of traffic as I drive. I will always do what I can to prevent a semi from having to brake to get around me, or Ill move over for him. I also do try to prevent normal traffic from having to avoid me.

HOWEVER, when it comes to the self entitled a-holes who do 20 over and ride my bumper having seen me coming miles ahead of them when they have a clear lane. Or during rush hour when I can maintain a stead speed and since I'm not on the guys bumper in front of me, people will fight tooth and nail to just get in front of me. I wont move.

All comes back to my safety and those around me. I help the everyday people and ignore the hopelessly reckless ones.

The line of people I would happily hold up are the ones who would cut you off trying to get ahead of you even if you were doing 20 over. -- screw those people--

I understand both points in the argument well. There has to be a balance between it all. But don't confuse that with being how its legally supposed to be. Were all legally supposed to be under the speed limit.
I don't think anyone here is saying you don't have the right to drive below the posted limit. What we are saying is that you really should be cognizant of the fact that there are situations where driving below the limit will cause traffic to build up behind you and the considerate thing to do is either pick it up a bit or allow said traffic to pass when it is safe.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #133 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
We're all supposed to be at or under the legal speed limit. Therefore, I have the right to piss people off behind me, if they happen to want to break the law and I'm preventing them from doing so. For instance, by doing exactly the speed limit in the passing lane of the highway. Right?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #134 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

InsertUniqueName - '07 Toyota Yaris sport

SaturnMPGbeater - '02 Chevy cobalt
Team Saturn
90 day: 47.82 mpg (US)
I am very confused as to why any person would tell some one too break the law out of courtesy. If people need to be somewhere, leave earlier. Plan ahead. Everyone drive the exactly the speed limit and you would see how glorious it would be if we all had such smooth traffic flow. Its the people pushing the speed faster that are the problem. Not us. I don't care if they are the majority. The majority is wrong.

ECOMODDED
Your argument is based on your driving style,your preference to driving below the posted speed limit(actually its based on federal and state laws). Which is fine but don't hold up other drivers while driving below the speed limit.
Other people have lives, places to go, people to see and only so much time or patience for people out on Sunday cruise,on Wednesday.(leave earlier or on time so this wont be an issues)
Why would one driver thinks he has the "right" to hold up 5-10-20 or more drivers while he "chooses" to drive at his own irritating slow pace.(Because the law says I cant go over the that speed limit sign thingy, which they are. Really thought this was self explanitory)
Thats my whole point, who ever reads this can decide if they do or do not fit into the description of the road menace.(Road menace as the law breaker, or the law abider?)

The pessimist says “The glass is half empty,” the optimist says “The glass is half full,” and the minimalist says “We’ve got about twice as much glass as we need here.”

Last edited by jousai7; 06-21-2012 at 06:24 PM..
Old 06-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #135 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
We're all supposed to be at or under the legal speed limit. Therefore, I have the right to piss people off behind me, if they happen to want to break the law and I'm preventing them from doing so. For instance, by doing exactly the speed limit in the passing lane of the highway. Right?
If you are driving the speed limit, exactly, or for that matter if you are well over the speed limit and you chose to remain in the PASSING lane, even though you are not in the act of passing, you should be dragged from your car and horse whipped!!!

Just sayin'
The Following User Says Thank You to pete c For This Useful Post:
chumly (06-22-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #136 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Saturn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
I don't think anyone here is saying you don't have the right to drive below the posted limit. What we are saying is that you really should be cognizant of the fact that there are situations where driving below the limit will cause traffic to build up behind you and the considerate thing to do is either pick it up a bit or allow said traffic to pass when it is safe.
I do this all the time. I actually P&G from 70-60. Speed limit is 65. I time my lows when people are passing and speed up when people are gaining on me.

The pessimist says “The glass is half empty,” the optimist says “The glass is half full,” and the minimalist says “We’ve got about twice as much glass as we need here.”
Old 06-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #137 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Quote:
I am very confused as to why any person would tell some one too break the law out of courtesy. If people need to be somewhere, leave earlier. Plan ahead. Everyone drive the exactly the speed limit and you would see how glorious it would be if we all had such smooth traffic flow. Its the people pushing the speed faster that are the problem. Not us. I don't care if they are the majority. The majority is wrong.
It does not give you the right to pre-emptively enforce speed limits. That's what the cops are for.

You do not get to decide what is best for the majority. If, by your actions, you choose to go 15% above or below the prevailing traffic speed, you're the problem, regardless of whether or not "you're following the law."
The Following User Says Thank You to t vago For This Useful Post:
Duffman (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #138 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I don't care if they are the majority. The majority is wrong.
Yes the law is the law but there is this other thing called convention. In my corner of the world I can do 10km/h (6mph) over the limit in a 100 zone and the cops wont even blink as I go by. While 1 km/h is technically illegal there is not a court in my country that would uphold a speeding ticket for that, it would be deemed selective enforcement. Not everything is as black and white as some would make it out to be here.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #139 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Saturn
Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
It does not give you the right to pre-emptively enforce speed limits. That's what the cops are for.

You do not get to decide what is best for the majority. If, by your actions, you choose to go 15% above or below the prevailing traffic speed, you're the problem, regardless of whether or not "you're following the law."
I don't enforce anything?

This subject is massively simple
Above minimum and below maximum speed limits = right
anything else = wrong

That is it.
There is no more than that.
If you are out of those boundaries you lose.
Do not pass go.
No 200$ dollars.
Anything that deviates from above is an opinion.
This is determined by the people who decide whats what, not me and not you.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #140 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Yah, I'll bet you're a LOT of fun to drive behind.

Reply  Post New Thread