Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #81 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I have seen articles claiming people were blaming victims, but all that I saw were accusations, not any relevant proof, even quotes.

Politics.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #82 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
I'm not advocating for vigilante justice, only saying that I have little sympathy for thieves, and expect a variety of actions to be taken against them by the public when caught.

I confronted a thief who broke a window out of my car and stole my wallet. He had a 30cm screwdriver in his hand when I approached him. First I told him to drop the screwdriver, which he did. Then I told him to give back my wallet. Finally I said that he has to pay for my window plus labor or I will call the police. Of course, the lowlife had no money on him, so I called the police.

This lowlife gets 1 night in jail, which is essentially free room and food, and never pays me back for the broken window.

The window only cost $10 at a junkyard and was easy to replace, but the problem is the thief has no motivation to stop his criminal activities. If he breaks into 10 cars per night, that is a lot of unnecessary loss and frustration that the public has to endure.

I agree that criminals should be doing the most humiliating work they can as punishment. I worked 10hr days of hard labor doing landscaping when I was in prison. In my opinion, that's what people who commit misdemeanor crimes should be doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I have seen articles claiming people were blaming victims, but all that I saw were accusations, not any relevant proof, even quotes.
The proof is in conversations with people, not some legal precedent or official statement. Some on the right blame women for sexual assault when they wear skimpy clothing, and some on the left blame owners for having their vehicle broken into by a crackhead.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 04-30-2018 at 03:10 PM..

Old 04-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #83 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
This lowlife gets 1 night in jail, which is essentially free room and food, and never pays me back for the broken window.
And you as a taxpayer pay for that room and board, plus all the associated costs of the legal system.

Quote:
...and some on the left blame owners for having their vehicle broken into by a crackhead.
While I blame a system that makes crack illegal, therefore expensive, which means your crackhead breaks into 10 cars every night to fuel his habit. Not only do you pay loss & damage if it's your car, you're paying all the costs of the legal system too.

The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #84 (permalink)
Not Doug

I have never heard that jail food compares with McDonald's dollar menu. I do not know who would be happy to have a jail bed except the homeless and I am sure that we could provide comparable homeless housing without jail security for much less, except the hippies would want them to have free puppies and junk.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:54 PM   #85 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
I have never heard that jail food compares with McDonald's dollar menu. I do not know who would be happy to have a jail bed except the homeless and I am sure that we could provide comparable homeless housing without jail security for much less, except the hippies would want them to have free puppies and junk.
McDonalds dollar menu is way more appealing than prison food. There is a reason why commissary food is popular despite inmates making only $2 /day for their labor. Of course, the menu varies, so some things are worse than others, but it's fairly poor overall. They are being fed for something like $2/day, which means most of the food is low grade and expired. This is how it should be though. The food needs to meet a certain minimum nutritional threshold and not cause foodborne illness, and that's about it. I gained 25 lbs by forcing down that slop.

Incarceration is better than being addicted to drugs and living on the streets. At least it forces a person to clean up, and any necessary medication is provided. It has a simplified structure that is pretty easy to figure out, which would appeal to those who struggle to navigate the complexities of freedom.

Homelessness is not really the problem. Those who are living on the streets generally have drug addiction and / or mental health issues. People with normal mental health and aptitude and no drug addiction who find themselves on the streets generally get off the streets very quickly. We need to address the mental health and addiction issues to tackle homelessness, not simply kick the can down the road by providing free shelter. People need to have some skin in the game. Free usually does more harm than good.

Criminalizing addictive drugs may not be the way to handle the problem, but it certainly should not be legal. Being caught with illegal drugs should involve surrendering the drugs, and participating in rehab. Incarceration and fines is likely pointless.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #86 (permalink)
Not Doug

Thank you for clarifying. It sounded like you felt cocaine was adequately harmless. There are interesting arguments against convicting people solely for possession of drugs. It is good they are required to break their addictions, but I am not sure prison is a healthy environment to prepare people to return to society.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #87 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying. It sounded like you felt cocaine was adequately harmless. There are interesting arguments against convicting people solely for possession of drugs. It is good they are required to break their addictions, but I am not sure prison is a healthy environment to prepare people to return to society.
I've never clearly stated my position on drugs before. I'm not knowledgeable enough to strongly advocate anything because I've never tried an illicit drug and don't have a good sense for what demons people face who are on them (and what they are trying to escape).

It seems crazy that people even try drugs like meth for the first time. I mean, how many stories do we have where people had miserable unsuccessful lives that quickly turned around after they picked up a meth habit? Zero. Why try something that is proven to only cause misery, which costs a lot of money, and which you're not already addicted to? See, this is why I cannot speak intelligently on the subject, as I can't identify with addicts at all.

That said, people generally are not rehabilitated by prison. I got lucky in that my sentence was short (13 months), and I'm not the type to give into peer pressure or care if I fit in. In a sense, I viewed my incarceration as a behavioral observer rather than part of a group of social outcasts.

Prison is appropriate for dangerous people, or those most likely to defraud or otherwise menace society.

Rehabilitation and reconciliation with society is what is most needed because people must belong to groups. They either feel like a contributing member of society, or they feel outcast from society and part of a downtrodden group of rebels. If they don't feel accepted by society, then they have no shame in burdening it.

Last edited by redpoint5; 04-30-2018 at 04:52 PM..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-30-2018), Xist (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #88 (permalink)
Banned

Punishment need to start young, even before teenaging, as educational actions and also check if the kid's parents are abusing them anyway. It also must punish bad parents, or even sterilize them to stop put people on world to became as bad as thenselves.

The main root of criminality is bad parenting. Crap people should not be allowed to reproduce.

About drugs... What is a guy while high murder someone ? I remamber a case when a guy high on cocaine rapped his owm grandmother. He will say it wasn't his fault, but it was the cocain.
it's always like that, people want to whatever they want, make noise for the righ to get high with heavy drugs, but when they make s... they don't take responsability. I call it coward people with no character at all.
Bosses should be allowed to get drug test on employes and fired druged ones.

I propose a experiment, create a comunity with only strong drugs drug addicted people, and see if it willwork. Id fireman, if doctor, if dentist, if babystitter, truckdrivers etc... will manage to go around. It would be interesting.

Last edited by All Darc; 04-30-2018 at 04:59 PM..

Old 04-30-2018, 04:56 PM   #89 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
The main root of criminality is bad parenting. Crap people should not be allowed to reproduce.
That's easier said than done. I certainly don't want the government deciding who is fit to reproduce.

At the very least, we should be offering IUD contraception free for those most at risk of making poor parenting decisions. It's cheap and reversible, and doesn't depend on being responsible for efficacy.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #90 (permalink)
Banned

Well, you can start with the worst people, criminals, dangerous ones, rapiest, child abusers (mothers and fathers).

Believe me, even with free contraceptives most crap people keap making kids. Implants require maintenance.
And left wing will say the state must pay for services for each one of the 8 kids a thief drug user have and never controll how much kids they want to have. They have no problem abou kill 9 months/fetus babies, but will say sterilization it's a crime against humanity.

Sterilization got bad reputation due nazis in 40's, using castration technics instead of vasectomy and ligatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
That's easier said than done. I certainly don't want the government deciding who is fit to reproduce.

At the very least, we should be offering IUD contraception free for those most at risk of making poor parenting decisions. It's cheap and reversible, and doesn't depend on being responsible for efficacy.

Last edited by All Darc; 04-30-2018 at 05:12 PM..

Closed Thread  Post New Thread