Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2011, 04:33 AM   #31 (permalink)
The PRC.

If its any consolation, our politicians are just as pathetic.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #32 (permalink)
dude...wait...what?

Diesel Rx-7 - '82 Mazda Rx-7 GSL

merc 300d - '82 Mercedes-benz 300d dt

b2200 diesel - '84 Mazda b2200 D
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
Because they won't get 65mpg over here. Maybe ~53mpg, but Ford probably can't get the volume to get them below the price of something like the larger/better equipped Prius, and most people would probably buy a larger Prius instead of a compact Ford diesel given similar pricing.
that 65mpg is US gallons- it gets 75 imperial

I see a lot of fiesta's driving around already i'm sure if the option was there a lot of people would go for it

All veggie, all the time!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
65 miles per tiny gallon EU combined is roughly 50+mpg U.S. EPA combined. Different tests so the results need to be adjusted to get a realistic U.S. EPA number. You may buy a diesel version, just like some other people may, but Ford would need to sell ~100k+ Fiesta diesels just to get prices down to where ~10k people would buy it. Considering VW's diesel sales are only ~60k a year, and Ford's Fiesta sales are about the same IIRC, I doubt they'll be able to sell enough diesels to compete with something like the Prius.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #34 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
...but Ford would need to sell ~100k+ Fiesta diesels just to get prices down to where ~10k people would buy it.
Ford already sell > 100K Fiesta Diesels in Europe at higher than US prices with the exchange rate between the Euro and the $ taken into account. The Fester also shares parts with other Ford models (the Focus) and some PSA (Peugeot / Citroen) models (engines for example) so the costs are reduced there.

I still believe Ford could do this if they chose to, as could GM with the Cruze Diesel. During the 70s Ford of Europe (FoE) profits kept Ford USA afloat for a good few years because they sold more cars at a higher profit.

Quote:
Considering VW's diesel sales are only ~60k a year, and Ford's Fiesta sales are about the same IIRC,
VAG (VW, Audi, Skoda and SEAT) sell far more Diesel cars outside the US - the US market is a tiny part of the overall total.

TBH I think VAG no longer target the US as their main market - they are after the real no.1 market in the world which is China, as are a lot of other makers. Skoda is a big seller in China (as is PSA) and Africa as well as parts of Asia such as Australia. As an example see the VW TDI Improving thread which was run by a site in Australia - that car is a Skoda, which is a VW really but not one sold in the US and with an engine not sold in the US either.

Quote:
I doubt they'll be able to sell enough diesels to compete with something like the Prius.
This depends on the market. In the US the Prius is priced to compete with those models. In Europe the Prius struggles because Diesels are more common so it is priced as a niche product - roughly 2x the US price.

Full discolsure - I have a foot in both camps here - Mrs A is about to get a Prius company car and I am keeping my TDI.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #35 (permalink)
The PRC.

PS - VW also sell 3 cyl Petrols here in Europe - the 1.2 Polo / Fox/ Fabia / Ibiza is a 3 cyl car.

My elderly neighbour has one and loves it.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ghost's gocart - '97 honda civic cx
Wow it's even in one off my brands (ford and honda). Even though it is a metro ripoff it's nice to see ford working on mileage and I could see the turbo making it more drive-able for the average joe. Borrowing seems to be going around lately I saw a nissan with the exact same specs as my CX.

hmmm.....crate motor . That could be really sweet.

California98 there is a place where you can manufacture your own car I saw it in a Top Gear article. They fab the chassis and use off the shelf components from common vehicles. It's sort of like a kit car but not one. Now if only I could remember the name of it (read it like 6 months ago ).

If you have high speed check this out

Hulu - NOVA: Car of the Future - Watch the full episode now.

My favorite american car manufacturer quote from the show was "Americans will buy the most horsepower they can afford." Shows how they market and how most people buy. Personally I would love to see a 1.0 turbo diesel here I guess I'm not a typical american .

I was having a conversation at work with my boss. He brought up this engine and was talking about hybrids. I said to him "okay you go out and buy a brand new $30,000 hybrid. How long will it take you to save $27,000 with the reduced fuel costs?" His answer was "what do you mean?" "My CX with purchase price ($2250) and all repairs will be under $3000. Oh wait yours will be more then that I forgot about the interest on the loan. Of course yours will brand new and have no wear on it. Then again mine looks pretty damn good for it's age most people are surprised when I tell them it's a '97." -cheers GW
Old 06-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #37 (permalink)
The PRC.

More info on the 3pot plus a look at the B-Max tiny MPV.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
If this has not already been mention in the thread: Ford will be selling the 3 cylinder Fiesta to the USA:

Three-Cylinder Ford Fiesta Coming To U.S.: Report

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 07-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #39 (permalink)
The PRC.

It will be good, and with 120hp maybe even a Focus ?
Old 07-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Personally, that would be fine; especially if they trimmed a few hundred pounds from the Focus.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Reply  Post New Thread