Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 10:50 PM   #51 (permalink)
MP$

Send a message via MSN to diesel_john
Smile

I often times I get tail gaters when I am slowing down for a corner. And coincidently about the same time, the autocross receptor fires in my brain and I don't touch the brake and just drift thur the corner. Then I watch in the mirror to see how much they have to saw on the wheel to stay out of the weeds. But I always assume they were just drafting.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-24-2008, 11:11 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_john View Post
I often times I get tail gaters when I am slowing down for a corner. And coincidently about the same time, the autocross receptor fires in my brain and I don't touch the brake and just drift thur the corner.
Ah, yes. The drag race fans, who like to go fast on the straight, but freak out on curves. I see a lot of them on the mountain roads around here. From both directions, unfortunately. Either the guy behind's crowding me on the straight, then winds up way behind after the curve (good!) or he manages to pass at the last second, then jams on the brakes going into the curve, which puts me about 2 feet from his bumper.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:42 AM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
Quote:
The next time I find you tailgaiting me hopefully I will be driving a diesel so I can leave a non-removable greasy black layer of soot on your windshield and car.

I find that effectively removes the problem.
Ah the joy of owning a diesel. I have a pot on my dash allowing me to change the output of the modulating piston movement sensor of the fuel pump, so I can dump a whole lot more fuel in at full load then what the ECU would normally allow. Now I normally used that with a solenoid controlled turbo bleed so I can push more air in and not smoke like a freight train. But sometimes when I had tailgaters I often forgot to flip the solenoid on when mashing it to get out of their way.

FE tends to cool the temper down, but the pot is still there, inches from the stick, so tempting, and sometimes it wins.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 09-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wildfire - '96 Ford Bronco XL
90 day: 14.88 mpg (US)

Blackford - '96 Ford Bronco XLT
90 day: 20.26 mpg (US)

Y2k - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 73.98 mpg (US)

Redford V10 - '01 Ford F250 Lariat
90 day: 15.64 mpg (US)

FireFly - '00 Honda Insight DX
90 day: 69.43 mpg (US)

LittleRed - '00 Honda Insight
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions and sharing your experience. It set my mind straight, as well as makes me seem like I'm not the only one with ideas and tactics! I can relate to just about everyone's comments.

I'm using 4-ways now while RR on approaching traffic - seems to work the best. I did some research on the legality here in Colorado and I think I am doing this legally the way I read it. I can still P&G while they pass and don't have to maintain 55mph. Passing trucks appreciate the headlight flash for clearance, as I always have done - after all, truckers are on the job working and I'm not.

A tailgater yesterday had his engine revving at 8k +/- while we were doing 45 on an uphill merge ramp. Once he got around me, he hit the next curve so fast (probably 80 in a 45) he had to use all 3 lanes to make the curve, and even then was having control problems. Yup, you guessed it, I caught up with him at the next red light. What are you going to do, right?

I just drive my drive and not allow anyone to force me to drive "their" way. Just sippin' my coffee, playing my piano and singing my little songs...(not bothering anybody and minding my own business).

later
Old 09-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99metro View Post
...we were doing 45 on an uphill merge ramp.
Here I may have to disagree with you. The point of a merge ramp is so that you can accelerate to the traffic speed BEFORE you merge into the traffic lane. I see too many people go slow on them, only to pull into faster-moving traffic (causing chain-reaction braking many cars back). May save you a bit of gas, but causes all those other people to waste theirs.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wildfire - '96 Ford Bronco XL
90 day: 14.88 mpg (US)

Blackford - '96 Ford Bronco XLT
90 day: 20.26 mpg (US)

Y2k - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
90 day: 73.98 mpg (US)

Redford V10 - '01 Ford F250 Lariat
90 day: 15.64 mpg (US)

FireFly - '00 Honda Insight DX
90 day: 69.43 mpg (US)

LittleRed - '00 Honda Insight
This "merge" lane is FROM a 45mph route, 45mph on the ramp, and 45mph zone at the merged road. The problem being is that the merge lane starts at a red light, so you are accelerating on the merge ramp. It isn't an interstate. I wasn't clear on that (probably still not clear). Of course I wouldn't hold up traffic going from a 45 to say a 75 Interstate merge ramp.

Most all do at least 55 in the 45 ramp, then accelerate even more to 70+ even though it is still all 45 mph. The cops hang out here at the end of the month for their "performance requirements". I just can't bring myself to do 15-25 over just to keep up with traffic.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #57 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
I just hope to god that a deer doesnt jump in front of me, because thats all too common here. The ones who most commonly do that to me are the 18 wheelers, ride a few feet from my bumper. Its nothing new, its been like that since I started driving in 1992. I can speed up to 70 in a 55 and they still just stay right on me so I figure why bother trying. Its nice when the mpguino numbers go up, but kinda scary otherwise. If anything ends up in front of me, Id be dead. And in that case it wouldnt really be a big deal whose fault they say it is. I just hold off till I need to turn, then slow down really slowly so they wont run me over.

I had one about 1 1/2 weeks ago where I just hit the shoulder. I was headed south on Friday, not many people out since the masses are headed north on Fridays, going about 65 in a 70. A Dodge Sprinter with Parts Plus logos came barreling at me, had to be going at least 90. I just hit the shoulder and just missed getting turned into an accordion. Even so, they didnt even move over to the empty left lane. It was like I wasnt even there.

Sometimes Im tempted to call up some of these commercial folks with "hows my driving" stickers on the back. But then I wonder if rather than the company, Ill just get the cellphone of the jerk who is driving and cause more issues.

Call the 800 number and ask to speak to someone in their safety department. Be sure to have all of the details such as truck or trailer number tag number and date of the incident. I had a driver continue to cut me off in an 18 wheeler a few years ago. As it happened I came up on a state police that had someone else pulled over so I stopped and told him about it. The truck driver knew why I was stopping and also stopped so it cost him some time on his schedule since I had to wait for the trooper to finish with the vehicle he had stopped. Anyway the state trooper told me to go on and told the truck driver to wait a while so we wouldn't be travelling anywhere close to one another. The trooper told me I could take out a warrant for wreck less driving if I wanted to, but I'd have to come to the court hearing and I was about 250 miles from home so I didn't. Anyway I reported it to the company's safety department he drove for with his name which the trooper gave me when he checked his license and also the truck number and date of the occurrence. They assured me that they would deal with this driver.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #58 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Princess - '08 Chevy HHR LSSR
90 day: 23.66 mpg (US)
NEVER do a "Brake check!" or intentionally slow down. If you do things like that you are just asking for trouble. In my life I have learned if you look for trouble you can always find it. If you insist on doing "Brake Checks" please completly fill out you organ donor cards and have your will in place. So if someone does go off on you atleast others may benefit from your loss.
Road rage is not right but you causing it is not right iether.
Do not squirt them, Do not give them obscene hand signals, do not try to escalate the problem. It is not funny and can be deadly. Some people will kill you for nothing, please do not give them a reason.
One of the guys who works for my lost his girlfriend, she was decapitated right in front of him due to a crash caused by road rage. So I really do not see any humor in doing "Brake checks" or anything else to intentionally piss off others. You may think it is funny but do you think it is worth dying for?

Maintain your speed and try to give them and opportunity to get around you. Use a little common courtesy and respect for others.

If you have to pull over on the shoulder so they can get by just do it and let them go. Farmers do it all the time and give you a polite wave when you pass them. A little common courtesy. What is wrong with that? Curly
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Curly1 For This Useful Post:
CigaR007 (12-30-2010), DieselFuelOnly (07-18-2012)
Old 10-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #59 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly1 View Post
NEVER do a "Brake check!" or intentionally slow down. If you do things like that you are just asking for trouble. In my life I have learned if you look for trouble you can always find it.
Sound advice -- I completely agree.

By the way welcome to EM

RH77

_
_
Old 10-09-2008, 08:56 PM   #60 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly1 View Post
One of the guys who works for my lost his girlfriend, she was decapitated right in front of him due to a crash caused by road rage. So I really do not see any humor in doing "Brake checks" or anything else to intentionally piss off others. You may think it is funny but do you think it is worth dying for?
We have a "shrine" near my parent's house from a road rage death maybe 4 years ago (teenage woman killed).

As RH77 has stated in other posts, you can't assume that the person in the other car is as "rational" as you are.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread