Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2013, 11:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
In the academy, running was my challenge-regardless of my affinity for lifting heavy objects and climbing. I found that chasing the leader was the best thing for me. It left me really struggling to walk, or do anything, after the runs, but I built up my endurance. Since I was still professionally lifting back then, I got to the point of running 7-9 miles, the basic PT we did before, after, and during the run, then squatting or deads after. Nothing like running a 10k then pulling 5+.

Point: Do what workout you NEED to, then get your own workout in afterward. Find someone better than you, and chase them. Find someone stronger, try to beat them.

(I've never been the fastest or the strongest, but I've gotten fast and strong chasing the other two!)

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I stayed up later than I wanted last night trying to do schoolwork, but everything seems to go wrong for me, and I still do not even have the software installed that I need for the assignment.

I have always had great difficulty with motivation. I stared out my sixth week of exercise with the same dismal results that I have had from the beginning, which is demotivating, but I tried to push myself harder, figuring that I would not see results otherwise.

Despite my lack of motivation, I wasted little time, put a clean t-shirt in the freezer, and at eight in the morning, it was already 91°F with 39% humidity.

I failed my run by over four minutes, changed my shirt, and quickly soaked the new one, fresh out of the freezer. According to my scale, I lose a couple of pounds each time that I run--I was down to 210.6, and usually the sweat evaporates before I get weighed after a PT test.

What kind of relationship do you think there is between ambient temperature and run time? If there is an inverse relationship between run speed and temperature in Kelvin, I will lose one minute from my atrocious run this morning and my PT test October 18th.

I ran two miles as fast as I could, then went another three blocks, about a quarter mile.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
The weight loss after running, is just sweat.
The real weight loss, is utterly minimal.
Are you hungry when you return from a run ?

Go back to the basics :
7000 kilocalories (kcal) less = 1 kg (just over 2 pounds) less.
Cut down the intake.

Running hard for short periods will NOT improve your condition.
You'll just get tired.
Train for longer periods, at least over 1 hour, but not as hard, say 70-80% of your max. heart rate
(rough formula : 220 - age ; if you were a sporty guy : 205 - half your age)

If you want to lose fat, training @ 60-70% max. heart rate for a longer time will do the trick.
You shouldn't really sweat (in normal conditions - AZ isn't really normal)
You shouldn't be hungry when you get home from training - unless it's your regular time to eat .
If you can stand it, go out and train sober to loose more fat - you force your body to use the stored fat as no fast sugars are available.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
The weight loss after running, is just sweat.
The real weight loss, is utterly minimal.
Are you hungry when you return from a run ?

Go back to the basics :
7000 kilocalories (kcal) less = 1 kg (just over 2 pounds) less.
Cut down the intake.

Running hard for short periods will NOT improve your condition.
You'll just get tired.
Train for longer periods, at least over 1 hour, but not as hard, say 70-80% of your max. heart rate
(rough formula : 220 - age ; if you were a sporty guy : 205 - half your age)

If you want to lose fat, training @ 60-70% max. heart rate for a longer time will do the trick.
You shouldn't be hungry when you get home from training - unless it's your regular time to eat .
If you can stand it, go out and train sober to loose more fat - you force your body to use the stored fat as no fast sugars are available.
Well, yes, I just multiply each pound that I lost by sixteen to get the liquid ounces that I lost. I will be weighed after running the same distance, so I should sweat the same amount.

No, I do not even think about food when I come back, I just want to lie on a hammock in a cold and dark room, but I understand that if I do not eat and drink, it will take me longer to restore my energy, and if I do not consume protein, my push-ups are supposed to be for nothing.

Seven thousand is the average between fat, starch, and protein?

I eat about half of what I used to--I used to have a high metabolism, but it betrayed me!

I think that I would have been fine had I exercised the entire time that I was home, but I worry that as I eat less, my metabolism slows down further.

I used to always order two foot-long sandwiches from Subway (the low-fat ones, with plenty of vegetables) or two chicken burritos from a Mexican restaurant. Now I only eat one, which is now too much, I need to find something smaller.

When I would go out to eat, I always tried to find something reasonably healthy, with plenty of vegetables, although few places had servings large enough for me.

Many times I took a girl to dinner and she watched me eat two plates.

Now the girls out-eat me.

For breakfast, I have two servings of Slim Fast Protein after my run. For lunch and dinner I have chicken and vegetables.

I have tried to measure my heart rate after a run and I always mess up.

Considering my performance, I would not call myself "a sporty guy."

I have heard many times that running slower burns more fat, but yes, I would imagine that would really require that you exercised longer, at that slower speed. Also, muscle is supposed to burn fat throughout the day, so many argue that weight-lifting burns more calories than cardio.

When I was Active Duty, running slowly always hurt my knees, while I did not have that problem if I could run quickly. Sadly, my speed is now slow, but my knees have not hurt since I started running. Maybe two miles is not enough to cause problems.

I always figure that if I ran enough to lose weight, my knees would hurt less.

No, nothing about Arizona is normal, but we love our "winters!"

I am afraid that I do not understand the last bit. Train sober?

Fasting?

I started taking a one-ounce serving of Zzzquil (with melatonin tablets) some months ago and was able to sleep much better, but that is the only alcohol that I consume.

Unfortunately, I keep sleeping nine hours. Sometimes more. I would set an alarm, but it always takes me a while to fall asleep. I guess that I should allot eight and a half hours.

Until I deployed, I usually woke up after six hours, although I had a problem falling asleep in class, at Church, and when visiting people. At least I do not do that anymore, although I usually seem to be daydreaming.

As usual, this post is far too long, although I edited down a fair amount. Usually, the more that I edit a message, the more disjointed and robotic it sounds.

When I got back this morning my roommate asked about how I was moving my arms. Several times, Sergeants told us that if we needed to run faster, to move our arms harder, while if we were running slowly, to move our arms less.

I only pump my arms when I consider that I am running quickly, but I consider myself to be a very slow runner now.

So, I am not moving my arms enough? A quick Google search shows that runners need to move their arms, but nothing conclusive about the effect.

I want A-B-A testing!
Old 09-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Sleeping 9hrs instead of 6 will certainly "slow" your metabolism. It takes way less energy to sleep than to be awake, regardless of what you're doing. And you're right about muscle burning more calories. When I'm lifting, I have a lot of difficulty getting above 190lbs.

Quote:
You shouldn't be hungry when you get home from training - unless it's your regular time to eat.
I sweat any time it's above 20 degrees F, and I've noticed I go much slower when the sun is beating down on me and causing more sweat than usual. When it's colder out, it seems to not drain me as fast. I loose my appetite after a run for several hours. Weight lifting makes me hungry though.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 09-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Sleeping 9hrs instead of 6 will certainly "slow" your metabolism. It takes way less energy to sleep than to be awake, regardless of what you're doing. And you're right about muscle burning more calories. When I'm lifting, I have a lot of difficulty getting above 190lbs.

I sweat any time it's above 20 degrees F, and I've noticed I go much slower when the sun is beating down on me and causing more sweat than usual. When it's colder out, it seems to not drain me as fast. I loose my appetite after a run for several hours. Weight lifting makes me hungry though.
I can lose weight by never going to sleep?! :P

I am tired enough...

I have a picture on my phone of a puddle that froze over at school back in January. I was still wearing shorts, but not enjoying it nearly as much as normal. I walk fast enough that I sweat even when it is cool out.

Woah, the professor was actually on time today! She passed out a three-point extra credit quiz and kept saying that it was easy--for once I agreed!

Apparently, I was the only one to put away my laptop during the quiz...

Last edited by Xist; 09-03-2013 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: Brevity and relevance
Old 09-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I will be weighed after running the same distance, so I should sweat the same amount.
Use the lost water as an extra insurance you'll weigh less.

I know my weight will easily vary 1 kg on a day to day basis.
That's what I can leave behind in the restroom / toilet / crapper / head / ... in a single - ahum - sitting.

Quote:
I understand that if I do not eat and drink, it will take me longer to restore my energy, and if I do not consume protein, my push-ups are supposed to be for nothing.
You got to get an idea about how many calories you're burning through the day, all activities combined, then see how much you may take in given the weight you want to lose ...

I'm about 5' 8" and went by on 1800-1900 kcal / day, while walking anywhere between 30 and 48 km a week - that's 5 to 8 hours of condition training / week - losing 1 kg or even a bit more /week.

No running for me, I merely walk @ 6 kph / 3.7 mph.

Running faster uses more energy, so you need to take that into account.

If you go to a nutritional consultant, they can tell you to within 100 kcalories/day what you can take in and still lose weight ...

Quote:
Seven thousand is the average between fat, starch, and protein?
7000 kcal less with a balanced diet, will translate in losing about 1kg.

Quote:
but I worry that as I eat less, my metabolism slows down further
You should.
Eating too little, means your body will go into harvesting mode.

My sister's been in that position ...
she went to a nutritional consultant, and had to eat MORE !

I've been eating a lot while on a diet.
Much of it stuff that's "free for use" in other diets - I counted all of them.
Carrots. Tomatoes. cauliflower.
Strawberries. Ananas is good, too.
You can eat lots of this kind of stuff, keeping your metabolism rather busy, which in turn also burns energy, without adding much calories.

Some of this stuff gets called "negative calories" these days.
But it isn't
Negative calorie food - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
I used to always order two foot-long sandwiches from Subway (the low-fat ones, with plenty of vegetables) or two chicken burritos from a Mexican restaurant. Now I only eat one, which is now too much, I need to find something smaller.
What's wrong with the Subs, is the bread ...

If you eat lots of bread or similar food with dough in it: cut down on it, it's a lot of calories and it really adds up.
Industrial bread / dough products are the worst.

BTW I've lost 6lbs during 3 weeks in CA and AZ last year.
Lots of walking, and staying away from McDo and the like, but frequenting SubWay

Quote:
For breakfast, I have two servings of Slim Fast Protein after my run. For lunch and dinner I have chicken and vegetables.
Quote:
I have tried to measure my heart rate after a run and I always mess up.
Measure it while running , that's when it counts ...
The tools to do so have gotten cheap these days.

I used my dad's old bicycle heart meter to get an idea of what kind of load put me at 70% of my max. heart rate - chosen to be right in between burning fat and improving my physical condition. And it's done both.

Quote:
I have heard many times that running slower burns more fat, but yes, I would imagine that would really require that you exercised longer, at that slower speed.
Of course, but that way you build up your condition, and over time you'll get to run faster for longer.

I've cut some 12 minutes off what was once a 55 minute walk ... keeping around the same heart rate

Quote:
Also, muscle is supposed to burn fat throughout the day, so many argue that weight-lifting burns more calories than cardio.
Whatever physical activity you do, it's always muscles that make it happen.
Having more muscles by body weight %, is what burns more calories.

The brain uses a fair deal of power too ... if you use it

Quote:
I am afraid that I do not understand the last bit. Train sober?
After having slept, but before you've eaten anything.

There 'll be little or no easy sugars to burn, so the energy has got to come from the long-term storage ... fat.
That's also why you shouldn't push it too hard, and have to keep going for a while : you need to give your body time to get hold of that long-term storage energy.

Quote:
Fasting?
Nope - puts the body in emergency mode ...
Slows down metabolism, and gets more nutritional value out of whatever you'd still eat.

Quote:
i only pump my arms when I consider that I am running quickly, but I consider myself to be a very slow runner now.
More movement = more calories burned ...

One of the tricks to cheat the scales that I noticed :
take in your regular kilocalories for the day, but doing so using cookies, roosted peanuts, chocolate etc . : all the stuff that's way too many calories but adds less weight, will translate into an artificial extra weight loss the next day ... but you'll feel hungry, despite getting in the right amount of energy.

Not drinking diet / light ... drinks usually helps to stay away from other sweet, calorie rich stuff.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Not Doug

Oh boy!

Quote:
I know my weight will easily vary 1 kg on a day to day basis.
That's what I can leave behind [...] in a single - ahum - sitting.
For lunch the day before my last PT test in Active Duty I ate a kilo of carrots. I figured that it would get rid of some weight that I did not need at the time.

Quote:
No running for me, I merely walk @ 6 kph / 3.7 mph.

Running faster uses more energy, so you need to take that into account.
That is definitely speed walking. I do not have any idea why I used a WoW character name instead of my usual handle, Strider, like I do everywhere else, except that Strider is common, and Xist is not.

I was always late to classes in eighth grade, so I started walking like Aragorn--at least in the books. The nickname was obvious.

I always maintain a fifteen-minute mile. People say crazy things about how quickly they walk or can walk, but I am quite certain that most people walk 2 MPH--or less!

Quote:
7000 kcal less with a balanced diet, will translate in losing about 1kg.
Years ago I had a friend say that if you were exercising so hard that you could not maintain a conversation, you were burning muscle instead of fat.

I have done a great deal of running since then. Once, while running in formation, a female Soldier complain that I was talking with the Soldier next to me, and I just said "run faster."

Quote:
Eating too little, means your body will go into harvesting mode.
I sure hope that my body is not harvesting as I eat a foot-long sandwich, laden with vegetables!

Quote:
My sister's been in that position ...
she went to a nutritional consultant, and had to eat MORE !
When I was a substitute teacher, I played a video (five times!) about some silly skinny girl that wanted to lose weight and a nutritionist told her to increase her fat intake; the girl lost weight, but they weighed her on the carpet!

Quote:
I've been eating a lot while on a diet.
Much of it stuff that's "free for use" in other diets - I counted all of them.
Carrots. Tomatoes. cauliflower.
Strawberries. Ananas is good, too.
You can eat lots of this kind of stuff, keeping your metabolism rather busy, which in turn also burns energy, without adding much calories.
Ananas? Like pineapples?

I used to get invited to advance screenings through The REEL Truth. I would sign up again, but I already have too many distractions from school! I watched "Bad News Bears" and the fat kid made all kinds of claims about his attempts at weight loss, like bringing a baggie of bacon to practice. He claimed that he needed energy to burn fat.

Several years ago, I actually started following a "meal plan" that I found in a body builder magazine in order to gain weight. I was 6'2" and 153 pounds!

I kind of regret that now...

The curious thing was that it had me eating vegetables! I had avoided those previously.

Quote:
Some of this stuff gets called "negative calories" these days.
But it isn't
I have only heard that said of celery, so I stopped eating it, not wanting my body to do something for no reason!

Quote:
What's wrong with the Subs, is the bread ...

If you eat lots of bread or similar food with dough in it: cut down on it, it's a lot of calories and it really adds up.
Industrial bread / dough products are the worst.
I used to always eat sandwiches on wheat bread, but when Subway started offering flatbread, I switched to that, although I was frustrated that it was white, not wheat, like when you can get a sandwich as a wrap, but with a wheat tortilla.

I took a girl to Subway, said something about the flatbread, and she said that it did not have much less carbohydrates than wheat. I do not have any idea, but I really liked her, so I started eating wheat again, until I realized that honey oat had more fiber...

Since flatbread is denser, I think that she may be right.

Aside from Subway, I do not eat many carbohydrates. As I mentioned, for lunch and dinner, I usually have chicken and vegetables. I think that it is absurd to avoid carbohydrates, though, since the brain runs on glucose.

I would love the opportunity to use my brain!

Quote:
BTW I've lost 6lbs during 3 weeks in CA and AZ last year.
Lots of walking, and staying away from McDo and the like, but frequenting SubWay
During our road trip, my sister, a nurse, told me that lunch meat was bad for me.

"Yeah? How is your Big Mac meal?"

Regarding the heart rate monitor, I can pick up one at Walmart. I am planning on going to purchase some more melatonin and to purchase a chair mat, like for a desk, but I will put it in front of our couch. For all that I know, my roommates will put it in my bed, points up, and light it on fire.

The carpet was ruined long before I moved in a few months ago. The owner paid for professional cleaning, but as my roommate said would happen, the stains were in the pad, and came back within a week. The owner just had the carpet cleaned again, but had us split half of the cost, and bought what he called "carpet runners," a plastic sheet that was supposed to poke into the carpet.

My roommates did not like that it bunched up, so they threw it unceremoniously against the wall.

A chair mat will not bunch up.

This time, stains started to return after a few days.

To be honest, I have been more concerned about my heart rate simply for my health. Losing weight should improve my run, but the weight is a secondary concern. Well, third. I have not seen any improvement in my push-ups, either.

Quote:
The brain uses a fair deal of power too ... if you use it
It is running CP/M and do not know how to reboot it.

Quote:
After having slept, but before you've eaten anything.

There 'll be little or no easy sugars to burn, so the energy has got to come from the long-term storage ... fat.
That's also why you shouldn't push it too hard, and have to keep going for a while : you need to give your body time to get hold of that long-term storage energy.
Heh. Apparently, before I went to Germany, one of our Soldiers had a habit of eating breakfast before going to PT formation. When our Platoon Sergeant returned from school, he asked if he still threw up during runs.

When I went on Christmas leave during Basic my sister's mother-in-law insisted on giving me a rich chocolate cake. It sat on my counter for a few days before I finally decided to have a taste--before a run!

It was a big cake. It was still big after I was feeling sick, but I am stubborn, so I went on my run.

However, the cake could not keep up. It fell out.

None of these Army running terms seem to work regarding food.

I often feel dehydrated when I wake up, so I will have some Gatorade, which I now make at half strength (and never put in the full amount of sugar).

I guess that I can stick to water before the run.

[waving my arms]

Quote:
More movement = more calories burned ...
Quote:
Not drinking diet / light ... drinks usually helps to stay away from other sweet, calorie rich stuff.
Well, 50% Gatorade is a little sweet, but sometimes it just tastes terrible. I keep wondering how to make my own flavoring so that I do not need to continue purchasing Kool-aid packets. I have literally gone through hundreds!

I once ran out of Kool-aid, so I tried drinking just the salt, potassium, and sugar.

I immediately ran to the store!

I have been thinking about trying lemon juice instead of the packets. I certainly do not need the artificial color and I do not like artificial flavor, but if it was clear, then people would not harass me about drinking Gatorade, and it would not stain my clothing, either!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Point: Do what workout you NEED to, then get your own workout in afterward. Find someone better than you, and chase them. Find someone stronger, try to beat them.

(I've never been the fastest or the strongest, but I've gotten fast and strong chasing the other two!)
This^. If you can arrange so that they are female, even better. Then the view looks good and you are motivated. (To catch anyway, maybe not to pass?)

Xist, your diet doesn't sound very good. An entire chocolate cake? Fast food, even if it isn't the worst type? Kool-Aid? Gatorade? Slim Fast Protein? Even consuming some good stuff (vegetables) doesn't make up for the bad.

Anything processed is questionable both for nutritional value and for calorie reduction. Processed foods are designed - literally - to be cheap and to make you want to consume them (in quantity), not for nutrition. Fresh (and as raw as palatable) is best.

I have seen a documentary on the evolution of cooking where a group of people were each given a cooler full of food that would meet all their nutritional needs for the day. The catch was the food was raw. None of the group were physically capable of consuming all the food in a day and they pretty much ate all day. I think there's a clue there if the goal is to consume less food and lose weight (fat).

Re. hydration: Water is best, if boring. The lemon (or lime?) juice sounds like a good idea. You can buy it in bottles (minimal processing - just some ascorbic acid as a preservative) so you don't have to squeeze it every time. Alternatively, freeze discrete portions of the fresh stuff.

Milk (plain) is a good source of proteins, vitamins and minerals, if you want more than water. Skim is not necessarily better in terms of weight loss either.

Also, take a look at the ingredients and nutrition data lists on the Slim Fast. It's a whole lot of chemicals, sugar and fat. You are going to get all the beneficial stuff, without the extra crap, with just plain milk and maybe some wheat germ or muesli.

Actually, watch out for anything liquid that has a lot of stuff in it, even home made fruit smoothies. It is really easy to consume a lot of them without feeling full.

Every person is different but these work for me:

Re. training: Running a fixed distance against the clock, trying to get faster, will only get you so far. Better is to run a fixed time at a given heart rate and try to run further or, eventually, for longer each time.

Even the cheapest HRM's will have high and low HRT alarms to keep you in the right range.

Listen to music while you run. It pumps you up, it takes your mind away from the pain and gives you an automatic means of timing your progress along your run route.

Choose the music to give yourself a warm up (speed walk?), pump up, motivation when it (usually) gets hard going and a cool down. I have several such playlists for a bit of variety.

You can also try: run for your allotted time and heart rate, then walk until recovered, then run again. Repeat a third time if you wish (or are feeling good enough after the first two).

To mix it up, climb stairs. Even done slowly that will be a hard workout if you climb high enough.

You can even figure out what your power output is if you know your weight and how far you've climbed over what time: Power (w) = {height (m) x g (9.81 m/s^2) x body mass (kg)}/ time taken (secs).

(I don't know what the units are in Imperial measurement - pounds and feet plus a conversion factor to get HP? - but the equation is the same. Find a stair well in a tall building and measure the height of one flight using a tape and multiply to get the height of how many floors you climb).

You won't always improve each day but will over time. Stress or fighting off a bug (you won't always get noticeable symptoms if an infection is kept to a low level), even hormone cycles, will affect your performance. Men do have cycles in hormone levels they are just less obvious than those in women.

You also need to rest properly. That is when the adaptation to the stress you are imposing will occur. Walk - speed walk - every second day as part of the recovery process. (~6 km/h is indeed about right for a speed walk.)

I'm not convinced melatonin (or anything else) is a good thing to be trying. Is there a medical reason for using it? If not, if I can't sleep I find some light-medium level exercise to get a bit of a 'glow' happening works.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occasionally6 View Post
Xist, your diet doesn't sound very good. An entire chocolate cake? Fast food, even if it isn't the worst type? Kool-Aid? Gatorade? Slim Fast Protein? Even consuming some good stuff (vegetables) doesn't make up for the bad.
Woah! Hey now! I said:

Quote:
It was a big cake. It was still big after I was feeling sick, but I am stubborn, so I went on my run.
I ate enough to feel sick, but most of it was still left, and then I ran and threw up. That was five years ago. I hardly ever eat stuff like that and I try to keep the portions small.

As for Gatorade and Kool-Aid, as I mentioned before, I was reserving that conversation for a trained medical professional who will actually listen to me.

Quote:
Listen to music while you run. It pumps you up, it takes your mind away from the pain and gives you an automatic means of timing your progress along your run route.
I am preparing for a PT test where I will be prohibited from utilizing an iPod.

Quote:
You can also try: run for your allotted time and heart rate, then walk until recovered, then run again. Repeat a third time if you wish (or are feeling good enough after the first two).
I have considered that, but it is usually too warm when I run the first time.

Quote:
To mix it up, climb stairs. Even done slowly that will be a hard workout if you climb high enough.
My knees!

Quote:
You can even figure out what your power output is if you know your weight and how far you've climbed over what time: Power (w) = {height (m) x g (9.81 m/s^2) x body mass (kg)}/ time taken (secs).
Woah! You want me to do math?! Are you crazy?! Get out of my thread right now! :P

Just kidding. I enjoy math, sometimes I even attempt to do math while exercising, but I usually struggle just to count.

Quote:
(I don't know what the units are in Imperial measurement - pounds and feet plus a conversion factor to get HP? - but the equation is the same. Find a stair well in a tall building and measure the height of one flight using a tape and multiply to get the height of how many floors you climb).
Boo. I do not care too much for Imperial. I understand metric. I live five blocks from the building where I have most of my classes. It is five stories and one of the highest in the area. Why don't I just climb to the top, release a water balloon, and time the fall?

Maybe I should release several balloons and figure out the average.

Quote:
You also need to rest properly. That is when the adaptation to the stress you are imposing will occur. Walk - speed walk - every second day as part of the recovery process. (~6 km/h is indeed about right for a speed walk.)
I did not get to bed until just before midnight, trying to finish an assignment for school. I was not up late because it took that long, I was up late because I found a new distraction and had difficulty staying away. Then I looked at the weather, and it was supposed to be coolest at 0500.

For the love of Macguver!

So, I set my alarm for 0430 so that I could do push-ups and sit-ups before the run. My goodness! It took me a long time to turn off that alarm! It was completely dark outside and, of course, I just went back to bed.

Strange, even with Zzzquil, but without melatonin, I still tossed and turned in bed, and got really bored and frustrated, but it took me way too long to get out of bed when I did wake up.

It is 96° outside! Shouldn't that be motivation enough?!

Quote:
I'm not convinced melatonin (or anything else) is a good thing to be trying. Is there a medical reason for using it? If not, if I can't sleep I find some light-medium level exercise to get a bit of a 'glow' happening works.
As a Soldier, I can walk into the aid station, tell them that I have difficulty sleeping, and they will throw sleep aids at me. A friend started taking those years ago and she told me to absolutely not ever take them, but supposedly Zzzquil is magical and stuff. If I do not take it, I toss and turn all night. When I fall asleep, I wake up a short time afterward, and I am a wreck the next day. Instead, I use Zzzquil and my life is a wreck.

I should do something about that.

Let me see if I can get to the end of that site first.

I am an American! I have an excuse for everything!

Last edited by Xist; 09-04-2013 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: I am an American! I have an excuse for everything!
Reply  Post New Thread