Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
So tell us what "EFIE" stands for, and how it works.
I'd like to read his description too because it would be more brief than the murk of internet searching. But in the mean time there seems to be hundreds of threads in two sub-forums devoted partly to EFIE over at Fuel-Saver Forums ... lots of reading over there...

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
I googled EFIE and it came up with this as its first result.

No insult intended to George at all, as he is as yet an unknown quantity and therefore deserving of at least common respect, but that lands EFIE squarely in the Snake Oil store at the Mall of Broken Promises.

If I'm reading it right, the EFIE device could be entirely responsible for MPG gains by fooling the engine computer into leaning out the engine. I could do that with a carburetor and a screwdriver in five minutes, or a WAI on another car in an hour or so. HHO would not enter into the equation; in fact the EFIE is touted as "correcting" problems that running HHO would otherwise cause.

Here's where I am on that: Engine + HHO = bad mileage, + EFIE = back to normal. Couldn't we have skipped some steps and stayed at normal?

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Civic Type-DX - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)
Welcome! A vehicle that can accelerate from 50-80 in a couple seconds (beats ferrari's by the numbers) and get 30+ mpg is impressive indeed!

I am not trying to be derogatory, but this reminds me of the gadgetman groove. I too cobbled my first vehicle together (78 chevy truck, 350 block, 383 crank, aftermarket heads, hooker longtubes, Holly 650cfm 4 barrel, goes on and on) and had similar experiences in power though idle, FE and drivability suffered.

It seems short of intentionally tuning the engine to run lean, there is no magic combo for MPG and power, it's all one big compromise. Turbo's are sort of there through tuning, but one romp into boost will kill any fuel economy of a conservative tune when not in boost.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Welcome to the forum, George.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeWiseman View Post
As soon as I've earned the privilege, I'll post some links to blogs you should find interesting and I'll be happy to discuss them.
FYI, we do look kindly on people willing to discuss their projects, here, on this forum. Not so much on the posting of links to outside sites followed by minimal participation. Just a friendly heads-up.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 01-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
A 63 F series was fairly light. The key to his mileage was the 2 to 1 differential (first post). That's some low revs at 45 MPH.

regards
Mech
Old 01-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello George, it looks like you're also in Washington State? Do you ever get over to the Seattle area?
Old 01-29-2014, 01:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Blue Aveo - '08 Chevrolet Aveo 5
90 day: 25.13 mpg (US)
The EFIE is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
I am usually skeptical, and Frank often is as well.

I instinctively mistrust alphabet soup acronyms, because they draw people in but don't impart any information.

So tell us what "EFIE" stands for, and how it works.
Guys I'm a slow typer and I just relearned to copy and save before submitting a post. I took at least 30 minutes to write out a wonderful answer and it got erased because the website had logged me out. Sigh...

So, again, maybe not as brilliant because I'm tired and bed is calling.

It's good to be skeptical, I'm fine with that. I'm pretty skeptical too, believe it or not. In my opinion, acronyms are needed to save time and give something the brain can latch onto, in this case for marketing.

When I originally developed the circuit I called it the Oxygen Sensor Correction Circuit (OSCC). But that didn't lend itself to being shortened so I renamed it Electronic Fuel Injection Enhancer (EFIE).

As for the EFIE history, why I developed it and how it works...

We've been building various fuel-saving technology since 1974. Our best results have always been from systems that vaporize the fuel before the spark plug fires.

During 1989 we started experimenting with various fuel-vapor systems on EFI vehicles. We quickly discovered that EFI vehicles typically LOST mileage when combustion enhancement technology was applied to them.

This was mystifying because we were often getting double mileage when applying these same fuel-vapor systems to carbureted vehicles (since 1984). The engines were essentially the same, so what was happening?

It took us several months to find there were two challenges, with EFI, that did not exist when installing on carbureted vehicles.

First, by this time, most EFI systems had oxygen sensors which the CPU uses to optimize the air-fuel ratio (or so the vehicle manufacturers want you to believe).

In truth, the oxygen sensors are used to optimize the operation of the inefficient pollution control systems and only incidentally cause the vehicle to use a little less fuel (real fuel economy has NOT decreased). See my book Extreme Mileage, 101 to understand how to reduce pollution by increasing efficiency of combustion, and burning the fuel in the engine instead of burning the fuel in the exhaust pipe. But I digress…

When you actually increase combustion efficiency, creating more power with less fuel, the net result is more oxygen in the exhaust.

Carbon mon-oxide (CO), hydrocarbons (HC), nitrous oxides (NOx), go to near nothing, carbon di-oxide (CO2) rises a bit and oxygen rises from about 12% to 14% (sometimes up to 16%). The vehicle’s exhaust becomes ‘technically’ breathable (I've had hamsters breathing the exhaust of a vehicle I had a HyCO 2A system installed on).

The ‘extra’ oxygen comes from:
1. The oxygen that is NOT tied up in oxides of nitrogen.
2. The oxygen that is NOT tied up in carbon mon-oxide
3. The oxygen that is NOT burned because you are using less fuel.

Oxygen sensors compare the oxygen inside the exhaust to the oxygen outside the exhaust pipe. The greater the difference (less oxygen on the inside) the higher the voltage signal. When there is more oxygen, the voltage drops.

The vehicle’s programming automatically assumes more oxygen in the exhaust means the fuel mixture is lean (perhaps because of clogged injectors) and INCREASES the fuel use; to bring the oxygen back to ‘normal’.

It’s almost as if the vehicle manufacturers were DESIGNING fuel systems that would NOT double mileage when combustion enhancement technology (that worked with carbureted vehicles) was applied to EFI.

We discovered the ‘problem’ could be cured by adding voltage to the oxygen sensor signal (our initial experiments were pretty primitive, just a battery and a voltage divider).

We then developed an oxygen sensor voltage ‘correction’ circuit; which we eventually named Electronic Fuel Injection Enhancer (EFIE).

I knew what I wanted the circuit to do and I knew (as a certified automobile technician) how to prevent damage to the computer but I didn't know enough electronics to DESIGN a circuit that would do the job. I first took the specifications to several electronics design teams. The LOWEST bid to design the circuit was $30,000.00. At the time (about 1990) that was 2 years of my income and obviously unaffordable, so... I taught myself electronics. I smoked a lot of components and my 'style' is not school-taught but my circuits work as advertised and are duplicatable by YOU for only a few dollars (see EFIE Manual).

The EFIE is designed to add a ‘floating’ voltage (so the computer does not know there is extra oxygen in the exhaust) in a way that CANNOT damage any part of the oxygen sensor or vehicle’s computer.

My EFIE also uses my CAL technology so it can be shorted out, again without damage to the EFIE or the vehicle. I designed the EFIE to outlast the vehicle.

Before you ask.
CAL stands for Capacitive Amperage Limiting. Part of my Capacitive Power Supply innovations.
HyCO 2A stands for HydroCarbon Oxygenator version 2 series A. Just a way we kept track of our experimental progress/upgrades, fully documented in our HyCO 2A Manual.

And NO! I am not here to promote my stuff. I'm here to help as many people as possible and hopefully get to talk to people as passionate about saving fuel as I am. In fact, I'd like to talk to an administrator about having a coupon code to ecomodders can get my eBooks at no cost (for a limited time).
Old 01-29-2014, 01:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

I'll be entering my stuff into the garage as I get time. I want to have as much fun as you guys are
Old 01-29-2014, 02:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

High Gear ratio...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
A 63 F series was fairly light. The key to his mileage was the 2 to 1 differential (first post). That's some low revs at 45 MPH.

regards
Mech
YES! Exactly, I think I was only a little above 700 rpm at 45 mph, if I had a tailwind, (on the prairies) I got as high as 36 mpg (average 32 at 45 mph).

The 361 ci engine had the torque to start out OK with those high gear ratios but I could only spin the tires on gravel, not pavement. Once it got up into the higher rpms (highway speeds) went into its true power curve, which is why I could accelerate so fast at highway speeds. I did pretty well against a lot of hot cars, even with the poor aerodynamics, until I needed to corner... It would also catch air as I'd come over the top of hills at 120+ mph... I was young and lucky...

So, for fuel economy with larger engines, gear them up any way you can to make use of the torque and keep the engine rpm low. Larger diameter tires are one way.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
EM has several of it's own EFIE threads, some not even that old: efie - Google Search

As far as I can tell it is not a resounding success, and it isn't found on the 65+ vehicle modifications list- Evidently Fails to Improve Efficiency.

Reply  Post New Thread