Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #5751 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

i don't think it's ever been socketed before....it's a good piece and the board has protection in it so there's a resistor that will burn out before the converter. the only problem i know of with the converter is sometimes soldering it to the ground plane can be hard, but i think that's been fixed since then.

The Following User Says Thank You to isaac_alaska For This Useful Post:
electricstorm (05-28-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #5752 (permalink)
EV Connoisseur

I'd say that socketing may cause more problems because of resonance and bad connections.

You can always desolder a component if it fails..
Old 05-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #5753 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I have not had any problem with mine. One board is in a controller since 09, and another was in a charger. The one in the charger would run 8 to 10 hours a day for over a year not counting winter months. The control board still works but is just not being used now.

I used sockets almost everywhere too.

Alvin
Old 05-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #5754 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I socketed all the IC's but not the Cincon. Everything's running fine!
Old 05-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #5755 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks everyone for the response.

I was mainly concerned with having to replace the Cincon should it happen to fail. But it sounds like no one has had a failure so I guess I'll go ahead and solder it in.

One other question. Can the control board be tested without the power board as far as using a scope and checking signals? Or is it best to have the whole unit assembled before testing?

Planning on doing some checking of the circuit and then completing the power board, assembling and testing with an old starter as a first load test.

Jim
Old 05-30-2012, 12:21 AM   #5756 (permalink)
EV Connoisseur

Yes. You can test the controlboard seperately with a scope.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #5757 (permalink)
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricstorm View Post
Thanks everyone for the response.

I was mainly concerned with having to replace the Cincon should it happen to fail. But it sounds like no one has had a failure so I guess I'll go ahead and solder it in.

One other question. Can the control board be tested without the power board as far as using a scope and checking signals? Or is it best to have the whole unit assembled before testing?

Planning on doing some checking of the circuit and then completing the power board, assembling and testing with an old starter as a first load test.

Jim
for testing, i think you'll just have to hook up the current sensor. also, without any current actually flowing, the controller will just go to full on in an attempt to increase the output current. maybe if you use a really low kp and ki, you'll be able to see the transition between off and on, but i guess if it goes on and off, that means it's working.

as for desoldering, i'd recommend one of these. I've had nothing but success with mine and it's very affordable at $12.

RadioShack® 45-Watt Desoldering Iron - RadioShack.com

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ting-9325.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jyanof For This Useful Post:
electricstorm (05-31-2012), MPaulHolmes (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #5758 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I practiced different solder techniques yesterday for the TO-247 package backs to bus bars. I put a sample of paste on the Middle leg (it's connected to the back), and then put the component on a bar that is around 450-500 degF. It takes 5 seconds for the middle leg to melt the solder, and then I give it 5 seconds in melted state and then put it in a water bath. It cools in just a couple seconds. Here's some soldering of one of the phases of the AC controller (by the way, the skinny area in the middle is where the current sensor goes. Skinnier makes the current sensor more sensitive.:

That's going to actually be 4 igbts per phase later, but just one free (Thanks Rod Hower!!!) 50amp igbt per phase for testing.

I also ordered a 48 pound 200amp inductor that I'm going to use with testing the controller. I know I know, some resistance also needs to be added to increase the PWM duty and not just test the freewheel diode! haha. I have that covered too. This move proved necessary since my crappy motor threw some bars that the brushes rub against when it ran full tilt at around 120v. It was also rated for 24v. Man, that was friggen scary. Long story, must go to school!
Old 05-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #5759 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricstorm View Post
Can the control board be tested without the power board as far as using a scope and checking signals? Or is it best to have the whole unit assembled before testing?
Electricstorm,
if you clip your oscope ground to the top of R17 (FET ground), and attach the signal probe to pin 7 of U7, you should be able to see the 12v PWM trace with period of about 60usec (~16kHz). I also set ki=20 (down from 160) to slow the pwm rise time in order to see the duty cycle changes more clearly. This can be done without the power board attached.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foor For This Useful Post:
electricstorm (05-31-2012), MPaulHolmes (05-31-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #5760 (permalink)
EcoModding Noob

Electricstorm,
You can also build a quick voltage divider from 1/4W resistors to fool the control board into believing it's getting a signal back from the current sensor - keeps you from getting the yellow light - then scope the signals at U7 ....

Michael

Reply  Post New Thread