Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #31 (permalink)
Building the future! :-)

Brings to mind an analogy...

When I was a pup, I visited a lot of airshows with my toy sales business. In the midst of all the high horsepower, specialized airshow aircraft and the guys who flew them, there was invariably a "comedy cub" act.

Now, I grew up idolizing the best aerobatic pilot in the world at the time, Leo Laudenslager. and the act went something like this:

The announcer would announce that "drunken farmer Joe, the guy mowing the show grounds with his tractor was going to get a free plane ride as pay for his work"

Somehow there would be a staged commotion and the "real pilot" would fall out of the plane, leaving "Farmer Joe", having no flight experience, at the controlls.

The show would consist of the low level antics and near misses one would expect of a drunken novice in a runaway airplane.

But here is the point...

ANYONE can look good in a high horsepower plane, just push the throttle to get out of damn near anything.

To do all that, and that low, with a 70 year old airplane with less horsepower then a prius c, AND make it look good takes a DAMN FINE pilot. The comedy cub routine was ONLY flown by the absolute best pilots :-)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
When someone comments about my car looking ridiculous or nerdy, I tell them that my car isn't a NASCAR wanna-be like most of the modified cars you see out on the road, but rather is patterned after the land speed cars seen on the Bonneville salt flats. Then I mention things like the aeromods creating a performance boost at higher speeds and having to get up to 100mph before feeling any noticable wind load on the car. And how any aeromod that allows me to go faster on the same amount of horsepower translates into better mileage at normal highway speeds. And mentioning getting over 60mpg on 80mph road trips and the airborne consequences of deer encountering the low sloped front of my car also gets their attention.
Kodak (04-15-2012), slowmover (04-09-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #33 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,961 Times in 3,605 Posts
I'm liking your "shoot the messenger" explanation, euromodder.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 04-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by todayican View Post
When I was a pup, I visited a lot of airshows with my toy sales business. In the midst of all the high horsepower, specialized airshow aircraft and the guys who flew them, there was invariably a "comedy cub" act.
Guess I've witnessed a few too many airshow crashes to appreciate this kind of act.

I also recall an instance where it caused a massive surge through the crowd as the "stolen" plane headed their way.

To put it in perspective, that staged act caused far more commotion than the F-16 loaded with 2 fuel tanks at Volkel AFB, NL a few years back, having a bird strike right after take off.
Many spectators obviously didn't realize how serious it was.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #35 (permalink)
Fhqwhgads

Vibe o' the Ozarks - '07 Pontiac Vibe
90 day: 31.22 mpg (US)
We're seeing higher traffic for people looking to find the magic bullet of fuel economy (See the Unicorn Corral). Saving fuel takes a bit of work, and many of my fellow Americans are NOT patient.

I know it's difficult if not impossible to address some of these folks. Direct contact can lead to trolling and flamewars. We could have a forum that discusses insecurities with hypermiling and ecomodding...haters could have their own thread.

However, is there any way we can indirectly address the misgivings of some of these folks?
Perhaps we could write articles/blogs on the financial investments and benefits and prominently post them.
My fuel log already shows how much I pay for and save on fuel. Perhaps a field could be added to account for the cost of ecomods.

"Price is what the person pays. Cost is what society pays, here, now, elsewhere and into the future." Natural Capitalism
Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #36 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
That presumes logic has something to do with it.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Grasshopper - '11 Ford Fiesta SES
Team Ford
90 day: 50.37 mpg (US)

Feejer - '09 Yamaha FJR1300 AE
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.73 mpg (US)
Our very existence challenges their core beliefs in much the same way that certain people are very offended when they encounter homosexuals or atheists. Usually the people who have the strongest reactions are the ones who are least secure in their own belief.

If they come on here, they have just had their own reality challenged, and are possibly questioning their own beliefs.

So what should we do when they confront us? Attack? No! Engage them at their own level. As others have pointed out, talk to them about our common ground. They like cars (trucks, motorcycles), so do we. They like to modify their cars for better performance, so do we. The only difference is that our idea of performance is measured in miles per gallon, rather miles per hour. A Top Fuel dragster would do horrible in a Winston cup race, just as a Hyabusa might not make it all the way through the mud bog. That doesn't mean that they are not all high performance vehicles.

In short, we need to be welcoming if we hope to convert others.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
While different things motivate different people, may I also suggest that jealousy can be one factor. An actual quote from my sister-in-law this weekend was, "Why can't you just give in and pay for fuel like all the rest of us?!"

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel_Dave For This Useful Post:
Cd (04-15-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave View Post
While different things motivate different people, may I also suggest that jealousy can be one factor. An actual quote from my sister-in-law this weekend was, "Why can't you just give in and pay for fuel like all the rest of us?!"
I hate to think about the limits of conversation -- any topic -- with that.

Then again . . the tripping hazard of this thread is that it is them & us

Old 04-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #40 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
I don't live 1/4 mile from work, and 60 mph doesn't mean all that much to me. I do have to buy gas, though. That's a place where performance can really have an impact on my life, so that's where I focus. Besides, most of what I do is driving technique- the only hardware mod I have so far is taller LRR tires. I can stop hypermiling if I'm in a hurry and the hardware mod only costs me a little bit of acceleration.

On the other hand, hypermiling makes my morning commute take about 5 minutes longer while not really affecting my evening commute. But I'm saving more than a gallon a day. That means with $4 gas, the time I "waste" hypermiling is actually making me over $50 an hour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Reply  Post New Thread