Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #41 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
The new Ecomodder.com t-shirt:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You know you're an Ecomodder if...
... You start a thread to psychoanalize any ricer trolls that show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
Now if I spend upwards of $20,000 on ecomodding what do I do?
Buy a handful of decade-old Insights and give them away to friends, taking so many gasguzzling SUVs off the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
For example : a filthy rich man with family money a fancy car and a pin up girlfriend. Don't you hate him already!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathtrain View Post
Don't really care about a filthy rich man with family money a fancy car. I just want 5 minutes with his pin up girlfriend.
I hate you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
I had a few of those when i was a kid.
And you too.

I hate haters. How about we go over to a few performance forums and troll around some? Nothing like getting down to their level.
Oh, what was that?

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
I think that we all already knew that people with vastly different views existed - well before they began to vocalize their negative opinions of ecomodders.

It doesn't really phase me much.

But basjoos has a good point about communicating is the listener's language. It's kind of like when you speak more softly to match someone who is whispering, or try to make visual examples for someone who is a visual learner. The same techniques that good teachers use to get through to students are probably equally effective in persuasion.

I mean, there have been scores of books written on effectively communicating (ex. Influence by Robert Cialdini and Yes Factor by Tonya Reiman). Conveying a message in terms the audience can best comprehend is very important. Whether that means performance, finances, style, safety, competition or practicality. They all serve the same purpose, ultimately.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #43 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

During the gas price run-up in 2008, more than a few people felt the sudden need to communicate their hate for ecomodding and/or hypermiling on this forum.

We used to get people signing up specifically to tell us things like:

Quote:
"HAHAHA MY [insert overpowered car/truck model here] GETS 9 MPG YOU GUYZ CAN SUCK IT! STOOPID MODS!! YOU'RE CARS ARE REDICULUS!"
(Comments often included a general questioning of the masculinity of any persion who would be interested in efficiency.)
Your example is ridiculous! Remember the "gallons of electricity" dude? That type would never remember there's an apostrophe in "you're"!

Old 05-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #44 (permalink)
Saturn Freak

Freddy - '95 Saturn SL2
Team Saturn
90 day: 34.25 mpg (US)
I think everyone who mentioned cognitive dissonance hit the nail on the head. People naturally seek to reinforce what they already believe. Presumably, this served some evolutionary purpose at some point, but these days it just results in stubbornness as we find out that the first things people believe are often wrong. It's much more comfortable to try and change the world to fit how you view it than to change your worldview.

Another thought occurs. Many years of internets have trained me to suspect a troll in certain scenarios. I was driving today on a two-way street that I know well, and a guy yelled at me that it was one-way and I was going the wrong way. My immediate thought was that he was trolling me, even though he was probably just an idiot. What if they're all just trying to do a variation on this? xkcd: SUV
Old 05-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #45 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
I had a guy the other morning come zipping up behind me in a big Ford quad cab loaded with his family on a trip (out of state plates). I was halfway through a nice 2 mile EOC where I'm always a few above the PSL so I just sat there with his bumper filling my mirror. At the bottom I bumped and began my P&G with a 5 mph spread (I prefer 10, but traffic is trafic).

He didn't pick up any buffer. He stuck right with me on the pulses and had to hit the brakes on every glide. At the third passing zone, he decided he'd had enough and farted his way by me, clearly and decisively putting me in my place.

The punchline? His tailgate was down for FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 05-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #46 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post

The punchline? His tailgate was down for FE.
That is hilarious.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:12 AM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ok so having read through this thread it seem people are way off base. I'm here because I want to be, I have no disrespect for anyone on either side of the matter. I would find it far more likely the haters don't disagree one bit about people wanting to get better mpg, they are more likely sick of getting stuck behind people that refuse drive the speed of traffic or take forever to get up to speed after a stop. I know it drives me insane, at $40/hr time is money and I have places to be regardless of what that means in fuel costs. But that does not mean I'm not interested in saving some money either.

I'm not sure why someone doing what they can to get better millage while being in a hurry is supposed to be funny...

Btw hardly anyone is spending 20k on making a car fast and most people that build a car for hp don't get as bad of millage as this thread would have people believe either, and the ones that do generally are not daily drivers. Its a hobby and something for entertainment, not general transportation.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:26 AM   #48 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
See, prices go up and Ecomodders become stupid.

Gas has gone up $.20 a gallon in the last two weeks, and boom.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 08-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
See, prices go up and Ecomodders become stupid.

Gas has gone up $.20 a gallon in the last two weeks, and boom.
It is actually down about 20-25 cents from two weeks ago here, I must be missing something.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #50 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celiturbo View Post
It is actually down about 20-25 cents from two weeks ago here, I must be missing something.
i would disagree it was $3.35 gallon in my area now its up to $3.80 (and has not changed for a month) and people don't like us anymore guess what going with the speed of traffic is illegal in areas, highways come to mind every1 goes 15 mph over the speed limit its called a limit as in the cops should be having a field day not letting every1s mileage drop.

As far as cars go if you lived in my are you would see alot of lifted trucks that never leave the pavement, as well as stock 4banger civics riced out to the point my grand am gets better mileage then them all

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Reply  Post New Thread