Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now
 


Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #51 (permalink)
Rat Racer
 
Fat Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Route 16
Posts: 4,150

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,784
Thanked 1,919 Times in 1,246 Posts
I'll withhold judgement on the disrespect thing for the moment, but you're loking like a hater.

Read my little story again and you'll see what a complete meathead this guy was. He was either on the gas or the brakes the whole time because of his impatience, but he did this through two perfectly good passing zones without bothering to pass me until the third one. When he did pass it wasn't the simple proceeding on his way like most people would do, it was with a gratuitous amount of gas and downshifting of his automatic. Kind of silly, when you consider that he could have already been past me miles earlier if he had only noticed all those dotted lines back there.

Do some reading in the aero section- it turns out that dropping your tailgate is bad for FE. Yes it lowers the frontal area of your rear end, but it makes the truck's overall shape less efficient. Now there's nothing dumb about getting that wrong, but it shows that he had FE in the back of his head.. while abusing the throttle and brakes and having no concept of how to pass somebody. He wasn't in a hurry, he was in a coma.

And yes, you're missing something on gas prices: Gasoline futures have soared 19% over the past two months, setting in motion an increase in retail prices, which are up 7.2% over the same period, according to AAA Fuel Gauge Report.

__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 08-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gealii View Post
i would disagree it was $3.35 gallon in my area now its up to $3.80 (and has not changed for a month) and people don't like us anymore guess what going with the speed of traffic is illegal in areas, highways come to mind every1 goes 15 mph over the speed limit its called a limit as in the cops should be having a field day not letting every1s mileage drop.

As far as cars go if you lived in my are you would see alot of lifted trucks that never leave the pavement, as well as stock 4banger civics riced out to the point my grand am gets better mileage then them all
Just went down from around 3.70 here for the last couple months. Prices are different everywhere, it will surly be going up to something insane before labor day either way.

There is a 85th percentile law here so it is not possible to get a ticket for going with the speed of traffic. I'm more referring to the people driving 50 in a 60 with a line of cars piled up behind them but steeling time from other people just because you want to save a few cents a mile rather than driving with traffic is pretty lame too, and it is steeling when you cost someone time without compensating them for it which could really add up if there is a line of cars piled up.

Anyway after reading 5 pages about how people must be envious, stupid, or have some sort of psychological issue to have a problem with people that are trying to improve their mileage. I posted here to point out that it is far more likely they are just sick of getting stuck behind someone slow all the time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: 18603, USA
Posts: 759

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
Thanks: 221
Thanked 60 Times in 45 Posts
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #54 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
I'll withhold judgement on the disrespect thing for the moment, but you're loking like a hater.

Read my little story again and you'll see what a complete meathead this guy was. He was either on the gas or the brakes the whole time because of his impatience, but he did this through two perfectly good passing zones without bothering to pass me until the third one. When he did pass it wasn't the simple proceeding on his way like most people would do, it was with a gratuitous amount of gas and downshifting of his automatic. Kind of silly, when you consider that he could have already been past me miles earlier if he had only noticed all those dotted lines back there.

Do some reading in the aero section- it turns out that dropping your tailgate is bad for FE. Yes it lowers the frontal area of your rear end, but it makes the truck's overall shape less efficient. Now there's nothing dumb about getting that wrong, but it shows that he had FE in the back of his head.. while abusing the throttle and brakes and having no concept of how to pass somebody. He wasn't in a hurry, he was in a coma.

And yes, you're missing something on gas prices: Gasoline futures have soared 19% over the past two months, setting in motion an increase in retail prices, which are up 7.2% over the same period, according to AAA Fuel Gauge Report.[/URL]
Or you kept speeding up and slowing down till the guy finally got annoyed and passed you. I couldn't care much personally I just found this thread off putting as far as the community involved with this site.

Like I said before, time is money or in some cases it is a matter of getting another half hour of sleep before another 14 hour day, or the difference of being home in time to take the lady out to a show.

I have a 88 celica alltrac making around 350hp awd at the wheels that does 12-20mpg driven very little, a 88 supra turbo that manages 35 on avg also driven very little, a 91 b2600i 4x4 that does 27 when I need to move things(boat, furniture, engines), and a 91 merc tracer lts with the 1.8l mazda engine that does around 40-45 for a daily driver which I have no complaints about.

I have had the idea of putting something together to do a lot better for cross country road trips rattling around in my head for a while now, the whole reason I ended up here. I'm also really curious about what a person would get out of running e85 on a high comp engine built for economy rather than hp. I know its a lower energy fuel but there is a lot of potential gain in what could be picked up with an optimal compression ratio for the fuel also.

I'm not sure what in that makes me a hater other than calling b.s. on 5 pages of people hating on others for not driving the way people here think they should.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #55 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder
 
UFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,300

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Thanks: 315
Thanked 178 Times in 138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celiturbo View Post
There is a 85th percentile law here so it is not possible to get a ticket for going with the speed of traffic. I'm more referring to the people driving 50 in a 60 with a line of cars piled up behind them but steeling time from other people just because you want to save a few cents a mile rather than driving with traffic is pretty lame too, and it is steeling when you cost someone time without compensating them for it which could really add up if there is a line of cars piled up.

Anyway after reading 5 pages about how people must be envious, stupid, or have some sort of psychological issue to have a problem with people that are trying to improve their mileage. I posted here to point out that it is far more likely they are just sick of getting stuck behind someone slow all the time.
To whom are you referring? I don't recall anyone doing this or claiming they save fuel doing this...are you trying to use a strawman argument?
__________________
I'm not coasting, I'm shifting slowly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
To whom are you referring? I don't recall anyone doing this or claiming they save fuel doing this...are you trying to use a strawman argument?
If you read through the thread its pretty clear there is a bias here against anyone that builds a car for power, there was also a bunch of silly remarks as to why people would send hate mail or whatever to the page. What you quoted from me is not an argument, just saying its more likely that if someone has a problem with someone else doing what they can to improve FE it is likely because they perceive that to mean making a car slow and driving slow. Which is useless and a step backwards in the minds of a lot of people.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #57 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Daox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 11,177

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,476
Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,534 Posts
There is a reason there are passing zones/lanes. Its pretty simple to use them too. If someone is driving under the speed limit you can use them to pass. That at least is the legal intended reason for them being there. What a novel concept!
__________________
Current project: A better alternator delete
  Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
chumly (08-28-2012), Gealii (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #58 (permalink)
Rat Racer
 
Fat Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Route 16
Posts: 4,150

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,784
Thanked 1,919 Times in 1,246 Posts
A 5 mph spread is nothing to complain about, especially when that spread is above the speed limit. The guy roared up, parked on my bumper and then tap danced on his pedals when he could have simply gone past. Add that to the misguided aero mod and it's a hoot.

Hypermiling isn't about driving slowly. I leave home at the same time I did before hypermiling, and work starts at the same time as well. I manage. My fuel log documents almost $1900 saved (over EPA) since last May, and I didn't steal it from anyone behind me. I might be adding five minutes to my 40 mile commute. So what? I'd promise to show up for work five minutes earlier for the next year if someone would give me $1900, but it isn't worth it to anyone.

Oh, well. Some people there's just no talking to.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #59 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder
 
UFO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,300

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Thanks: 315
Thanked 178 Times in 138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celiturbo View Post
If you read through the thread its pretty clear there is a bias here against anyone that builds a car for power, there was also a bunch of silly remarks as to why people would send hate mail or whatever to the page. What you quoted from me is not an argument, just saying its more likely that if someone has a problem with someone else doing what they can to improve FE it is likely because they perceive that to mean making a car slow and driving slow. Which is useless and a step backwards in the minds of a lot of people.
I think that is your perception only. I build vehicles for power, and I have not seen that "bias". You seem to think you have to drive slowly to save fuel, and while that is partially true, it doesn't mean driving significantly under the speed limit, it means you drive the conditions so you aren't rushing up to conditions that force you to brake. Also, if you are serious about saving fuel, that does not mean accelerating slowly either, as engines are more efficient when loaded. Just stay out of the enrichment.

Again, hypermiling is not driving slowly, it's driving with intelligence, planning and foresight.
__________________
I'm not coasting, I'm shifting slowly.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UFO For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (08-23-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #60 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 595
Thanks: 106
Thanked 113 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanspeed1 View Post
They work for the oil companies as shills. Let's call them "ProTrolls". They get paid to travel around and cause trouble
.
heh, sometimes I wonder that about E85 discussions.

__________________
2005 Escape 2.3 MT 2WD
2002 Mustang 3.8 AT
2015 Ram 1500 5.7L 4WD
2002 Motobecane 700DS
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com