Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #151 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
If the car has temperature control, then it's cheaper use the display to set the temperature than to have separate buttons and LCD display.
But why do you need an LCD display for temperature? You simply adjust heater/defroster levers to "comfortable" and "I can see out". Comfortable is not going to be one fixed temperature.

Quote:
I've never had a single issue with automatic windows.
I have one quite frequently. If it starts to rain (granted, not something that happens that often where I live), I have to hunt around for the keys before I can roll up the windows.

Quote:
Finally, the type of people who buy a Tesla are the type that like automated design.
Which means they're deliberately choosing to limit their market. Fine for the sort of people who like that sort of thing, but unless they change, they'll always be a niche player.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #152 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
But why do you need an LCD display for temperature? You simply adjust heater/defroster levers to "comfortable" and "I can see out". Comfortable is not going to be one fixed temperature.
My son's Charger SRT-8 has infrared sensors that monitor the occupants of the front seats so it adjusts their zones appropriately.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:53 PM   #153 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
To me, the best location for EV plug stations would be at hotels/motels along interstate freeways, since long-distance traveling is the EV's "Achilles heel." Around town, most people recharge overnight at their homes.
Exactly. Nobody considers 30+ minutes to be a "quick" charge, especially when that only gets you another 100 miles or so.

Eliminating even 1 of these quick charge stops by plugging in at the hotel and getting a full charge makes for a much more pleasant experience.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 08-11-2017, 02:54 AM   #154 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
It all depends on your needs.

The longest trip I took in the last 5 years was 400 km (250 miles) one way, twice.
Still needed to rest and eat along the way.

130 km (80 miles) trips are frequent though. A 300 km range should suit me fine for that. Wouldn't even need to charge at my destination.

The charger network over here is dense, so one could pretty much chance it on range and just take a 10 minute charge somewhere when it runs short.

Anyway, the road agency's advice over here is to rest for half an hour after every 2 hours of driving. Following that advice, anything with a range over 2 hours worth and a quick charge option would suffice.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:09 AM   #155 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
250 miles is the most I have ever done in a day. But that would include at least one stop for lunch and another couple of stops for coffee.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:45 AM   #156 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
To me, the best location for EV plug stations would be at hotels/motels along interstate freeways, since long-distance traveling is the EV's "Achilles heel." Around town, most people recharge overnight at their homes.

ADDENDUM - other good candidates would also be freeway-adjacent restaurants and diners...but probably NOT fast-food joints (wink,wink)
I think it's most important to get 110vac outlets first, especially at motels/hotels/places of work.

It would be nice if there were an L2 on my one long weekly trip, but I doubt it would ever happen.

220vac at gas stations would be nice though, today they are all 110vac which only nets a mile or two during a pit stop.

Today there is zero quick chargers along Hwy 10,51 or 29 in Wisconsin,
When there is it's in a city, to be honest I need L2 in the middle of no where not in the city

Ah well
Old 08-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #157 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Anyway, the road agency's advice over here is to rest for half an hour after every 2 hours of driving. Following that advice, anything with a range over 2 hours worth and a quick charge option would suffice.
I drive for as long as I have fuel, and use the bathroom and stretch when filling the car. This is usually every 400 miles or 5.5 hours.

The problem is that "quick" charges aren't quick. They are about an hour for 120 miles of range. You end up stopping for 1hr every 2 hrs, which is extremely slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
250 miles is the most I have ever done in a day. But that would include at least one stop for lunch and another couple of stops for coffee.
I stop for coffee and food when I stop for petrol, about every 5.5 hours.

My longest trip in a day was 1,200 miles. Santa Barbara > Santa Monica > Gresham OR > Salem The trip would have taken several days in an EV, and I had a van full of people.

In May I drove 560 miles 1 way Vancouver, WA > Twin Falls, ID. I was on the company clock, so they wouldn't have been OK with me spending 3+ hrs charging on the trip. Not only that, but I was already running 2hrs late since I hadn't planned to drive (bridge to the airport was shut down due to wreck).

I will need to drive to Medford (300 miles) occasionally, which would require at least 2 charges, possibly 3. Completing the trip in an EV would be made more enjoyable and less time consuming if I could charge at a hotel.

It makes sense to drive anything less than about 400 miles since it takes time to get through the airports, and then travel to your destination.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 08-12-2017 at 07:13 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #158 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Last weekend I drove to Buffalo NY from Burlington VT, which is about 400 miles. It's hard to find even a gas station in the Adirondacks, much less an EV charging station. I could certainly use an EV for most of my local driving, but I've basically replaced my car with an electric bicycle for that anyway, and an EV is not appropriate where I live for any of my weekend trips.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:04 PM   #159 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I drive for as long as I have fuel, and use the bathroom and stretch when filling the car. This is usually every 400 miles or 5.5 hours.

The problem is that "quick" charges aren't quick. They are about an hour for 120 miles of range. You end up stopping for 1hr every 2 hrs, which is extremely slow.

I stop for coffee and food when I stop for petrol, about every 5.5 hours.

My longest trip in a day was 1,200 miles. Santa Barbara > Santa Monica > Gresham OR > Salem The trip would have taken several days in an EV, and I had a van full of people.

In May I drove 560 miles 1 way Vancouver, WA > Twin Falls, ID. I was on the company clock, so they wouldn't have been OK with me spending 3+ hrs charging on the trip. Not only that, but I was already running 2hrs late since I hadn't planned to drive (bridge to the airport was shut down due to wreck).

I will need to drive to Medford (300 miles) occasionally, which would require at least 2 charges, possibly 3. Completing the trip in an EV would be made more enjoyable and less time consuming if I could charge at a hotel.

It make sense to drive anything less than about 400 miles since it takes time to get through the airports, and then travel to your destination.
I've driven a rental car in California and Nevada; if Oregon is anything like that I can get how you can drive for 4 hours on end
The Netherlands are 7 times as small as Oregon and 5 times as densely populated, and I live in one of its busiest areas. Our roads are very crowded and traffic is always merging and splitting. You have to be constant at the alert. You are never alone, not even in the dead of night. 2 hours of that then you desperately need a break.

A 'quick charge' on a Tesla Model 3 with its 75 kWh battery should top it to its full range of almost 300 miles if you allowed it to last a full hour.
But it will be over 80% full in about half an hour?
Ain't perfect, still not that bad.

It all depends on your needs. My trips are seldom longer than 80 miles and I can charge for free at the office. I'm looking into buying an EV...

I don't mind the stops, if I ever need them, that bad. I can work during a stop if I feel like it.
I hope for self-driving to become reality well before I retire; then I could even work while I'm on the move.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 08-11-2017 at 03:40 PM..
Old 08-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #160 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Sometime in the not too distant future I will have to give up my licence (because of my age I have to reapply for it next year and every three years after then). I hope driverless cars are on the go by then.

Reply  Post New Thread