Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2019, 12:13 AM   #1151 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
I'm on an electric unicycle forum of all things, and the Russians have figured out how to hack the Ninebot Mini (the Segway I have) both by replacing the CPU with their own, or by flashing their own tweaked code to it. The purpose; to increase the speed from 10 MPH to 13 MPH.

A lot of effort has gone into those 3 MPH for a relatively low volume product. The funny thing is they haven't released the software hack because they can't figure out how to monetize it in a way that can't be hacked and distributed outside of their control.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Xist (05-03-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-03-2019, 08:19 AM   #1152 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I have yet to see proof of anyone hacking Tesla's core software. AFAIK anything but the browser and sensors is immune so far.

Unlike VW for instance.

The Apple analogy does not apply. Apple has a software store and allows hundreds of thousands of developers to write software for it, so its system and tools are widely known and available. Tesla has no such thing going.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #1153 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,103 Times in 973 Posts
WHICH core software? Canbus , power and charger/batteries are hacked. Afaik, nobody cares about the infotainment. That leaves only autopilot which could be attacked through infotainment.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #1154 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
A lot of effort has gone into those 3 MPH for a relatively low volume product. The funny thing is they haven't released the software hack because they can't figure out how to monetize it in a way that can't be hacked and distributed outside of their control.
Funny .. and IRONIC perhaps?

A 30% increase in speed is nothing to sneeze at. Depending on how hard the task was. It sounds like an interesting hack!
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #1155 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
WHICH core software? Canbus , power and charger/batteries are hacked. Afaik, nobody cares about the infotainment. That leaves only autopilot which could be attacked through infotainment.
You can hack into the parts and access them directly but you cannot make the integrated system play along. The 150 km range limit won't be imposed on the parts themselves.
Even if you swap out the entire battery you won't be able to charge it for more than 150 km worth at the charger. And if you somehow managed to do it, Tesla would know.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #1156 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
The CANbus signals have been interpreted and reproduced, right? No one is claiming to have Dis-assembled the Tesla code, then changed a little bit, and flashed it back onto the original chips. If they have, I'd like to read about it, watch videos, etc!

Damien McGuire replaces the control boards to get the controllers and chargers to function. EVTV sends CANbus signals and has some hardware to fake hard-wired signals (like the High voltage interlock). Again, if someone has dis-assembled (or even got the code out of the non-labelled and perhaps proprietary chips) Tesla's firmware - please publish!

I don't have references .. so it is possible that I thought some of the autopilot sensor signals have been hacked .. but maybe not .. the description that I remember is that they appear to be semi-intelligent sensors sending raw, un-processed data.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
freebeard (05-03-2019), RedDevil (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 01:53 PM   #1157 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I have yet to see proof of anyone hacking Tesla's core software. AFAIK anything but the browser and sensors is immune so far.
Agreed. I have not heard of anyone even pulling the firmware out of the chips so that the code can be examined
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 09:50 PM   #1158 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Really, the only people with the financial resources and incentive to do this would be other car companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 05-03-2019, 09:51 PM   #1159 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
Funny .. and IRONIC perhaps?

A 30% increase in speed is nothing to sneeze at. Depending on how hard the task was. It sounds like an interesting hack!
The Segway was software limited to 10 MPH so that it could be classified as a mobility aide in some country. It does this by leaning back against your efforts to lean forward for more speed, and beeps at you. If you continually cause it to do this, it penalizes you by lowering the max speed to 6 MPH. If you try to force through the leanback, it will simply stop, sending you off.

The hardware mod has a person cracking into the watertight seal, desoldering the microcontroller, and soldering the (something like 64 pin) chip back onto the board. It has a much less aggressive leanback setting, allows 13 MPH, and does not penalize a person for approaching the limits repeatedly.

Interestingly, the max speed in reverse is 13 MPH. Some have disassembled the steering mechanism and reversed the left/right inputs so that it operates correctly in reverse. Rumor has it there's no leanback as you approach max speed, which is a bit scary since it would just dump you if it was exceeded. I think I'll try it.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 05-04-2019, 06:37 AM   #1160 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I have commented that I turned forty and was sick three times in three months. Happily, yesterday I realized that I was not sick in April. Then I woke up in the middle of the night with a sore throat and upset stomach.

I sure hope that gets better on its own!

So, I watched a bit of YouTube.

It seems that people have commented that Musk makes announcements for some product he will release in three years. Three years later, it is still three years away. This segment is about a thirty-two-year-old C.E.O. with a different perpetual three-year Tesla plan, he wanted to own one.

He was making a million a year, so it was probably a matter of priorities, but then his priorities changed further, and he announced that every full-time employee would earn at least $70,000 a year, while he slashed his own pay to $70,000 yearly. Some of the better-paid employees quit, but they had a flood of applicants, picked up new clients, and apparently people being paid three times as much or more work harder because revenue is up 75%.

I am not sure if the C.E.O. the age of my brother still hoped to earn a Tesla in three years, but his employees were so grateful that they bought him a Model S.

I know, this is a Model 3 thread. Sorry, I will see myself out. I just thought it was an interesting coincidence.

Maybe had he only increased their pay to $60,000 they would have bought him a 3?

Reply  Post New Thread