Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2015, 07:47 AM   #101 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It has been a while since I posted so I decided to write a quick update. So what has Centurion #4 been up to? Currently sitting in my garage looking at all of the other projects collecting dust LOL

I have not made much progress on the body however I will be making a trip to the body shop here this week to purchase some sanders to at least get the sanding going at greater than hand sanding speed

Even though not much in the way of physical work I have been busy depleting the wallet! One item that I was able to purchase that I really needed was an Overdrive propshaft. Triumph Spitfire and GT6 cars had quite a few different length propshafts depending on what transmission they were using and whether they were equipped with an overdrive unit or not. This adds an element of difficulty to the quest but can be overcome once you know which transmission you have and if you are going to be using an overdrive unit along with it.

Now for Centurion #4 build remember that I am actually using an overdrive unit from a Volvo 1800. This means that I will have to modify the Spitfire propshaft on the Overdrive end in order to bolt to the Volvo D type overdrive. Even though the Volvo has a 3 bolt pattern do not be misled it is not the same as the Triumph bolt pattern. This can be pretty easily fixed with a good drill press Once the proper bolt pattern has been drilled out bolt it up and we are in business.

I will be using the standard Triumph Spitfire propshaft to start with in order to test it out with the 2 cylinder diesel. This also gives me some time to save up some dinero for the expensive carbon fiber unit that will eventually replace it.

Another part that I was able to get compliments of Ebay was the steering wheel. I opted for a 320mm 12.5' diameter guy that is used in karts. It uses a 6 bolt hub pattern so I should be able to get it to work with some off the shelf adapters. What I liked about it was its shape and colors. It had Kubota Orange and white striping along with a black base. I am exited to see it installed once I get my hands on it.

What else oh I was able to get some good deals on electric components. I have wrestled long and hard whether or not to hybridize this Centurion and after last week I think the hybrid design is winning out lol. I was able to get a solid never used GBS Lithium 48V battery pack and ME0913 electric motor along with some other electric goodies. The cost on the batteries along with BMS and charger was $300 which included shipping. The ME0913 motor I was able to get for $450.

So ya the wallet took a solid hit this month but all in all some good thrifty purchases that will save me money in the long run!

GH

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steering Wheel #1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	18353  

Last edited by GreenHornet; 07-27-2015 at 07:54 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #102 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

To expand quickly on the last post in regards to the hybrid decision. Firstly Centurion #4 will be driven primarily in a Suburbia setting. Secondly my work schedule is 12hr shifts half the month and I live only 6.5mi from my job. I can get to work either by surface streets or utilizing the freeway. Either way I go I am experiencing stop and go traffic. Lastly I really want to get away from using fossil fuel where I can.

So hybridizing makes sense for me with Centurion #4 due to its small size and light weight. Shoot it almost makes more sense to go all electric since It is primarily an in town low speed commuter. However there will come a day when I drive it out East for the Green Grand Prix and unfortunately battery technology is not quite there just yet lol for me to use on a cross country road trip. So the 2 cylinder Kubota has to be a part of the design in order to make it long distances.

The electric components I have selected will enable me to drive on electric only not only on surface streets but also on the freeway without issue. This turns Centurion #4 into an BEV the vast majority of the time. The lithium batteries will give me a range good enough to get me to and from work and then some on a single charge. I will first start off with the 48V architecture and then after that is tested out move to a more capable 72V setup. The components were selected with the help of other finished cars that can be viewed in the EVAlbum. The car I paid most attention to was a Geo Metro build completed by John Loveless = John's 1992 Geo Metro John also has a website dedicated to his electric movement = Home - John Saves Energy

John's website is great and fact filled with all kinds of tips. There is also an BEV Range calculator that can be manipulated for your specific cars specs. Eventually the Centurion will be using the 72V system which is what the Geo Metro build used and the ME0913 is a similar sized electric motor as the Geo but with a more beefy top end at 30kw peak. The next components that I will need to source are the DC to DC converter as well as the Controller for the PMAC motor. I will not be using an onboard charger since I have the Kubota diesel which will act as a superb generator for the Lithium batteries.

The hybrid design will be a parallel setup where the ME0913 will be attached via direct drive right to the Kubota crankshaft. This will give me the ability to use the Centurion in either electric assist or full electric modes. This setup will come in handy during pulse and glide scenarios on the freeway. Another benefit is while in stop and go traffic no diesel will be used thus reducing my CO2 and other harmful pollutant outputs. Another advantage is I can get rid of my little Kubota starter motor which was way to small to ever think about a start stop micro hybrid design setup.

At this point Centurion #4 is well on its way to being a very interesting ride with modern technology mixed with back in the day simplicity. It will be interesting to see just how it performs once I get it all dialed in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GBS Lithium 12V 40Ah Battery #1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	18354   Click image for larger version

Name:	ME0913 PMAC Electric Motor #1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	18355  
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenHornet For This Useful Post:
Xist (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 03:32 PM   #103 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Subscribed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #104 (permalink)
Growin a stash

Ambitious...

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
Old 07-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #105 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Might as well go for broke we only live once

Come to think of it after this car is done I think I will be broke LOL
Old 07-27-2015, 06:11 PM   #106 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The ME0913 motor really transforms the Centurion and is the real game changer. I got pretty lucky finding it so cheap these often go for over $700 and upwards of $875. While these motors give a peak 30kw power rating many people have pushed them to 45kw without issue. With the Controller I am looking to use I should be able to achieve the rated 30kw at 72V and then some. That gives me a solid 40hp of pure electric power with the additional modified diesel engine power I will easily have a combined 60hp which is more than enough HP and torque to move me at a fair speed up any hill I encounter. By placing the emphasis on the electric side this will give me solid acceleration and power and leave the diesel for when I am cruising along at 50-60mph on the freeway.

Another cool benefit is that while I am in the city or during stop and go traffic I will not have to be shifting any gears as with the electric motor I can just leave it in 3rd gear and simply hit the throttle. This makes it really convenient as its a pain to have to shift often during rush hour. Most likely I will use a simple thumb throttle to control the electric motor. This will give me greater control of the power output. There is no room for a separate foot throttle in the Centurion. I thought about integrating it into the existing gas pedal and I still might actually since it would be easy to do but I like the idea of having the fine control with the finger. The foot has a tendency to get really heavy
Old 07-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #107 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
...However there will come a day when I drive it out East for the Green Grand Prix and unfortunately battery technology is not quite there just yet lol for me to use on a cross country road trip.
-
That's what I'm talkin' about!! No pressure GreenHornet - The GreenGrandPrix is about 7 months away and I've already got your reservations made! lol!!! Looking forward to your build on this - there's lots of great ideas coming from your lab!
~CrazyJerry
Old 07-31-2015, 07:13 PM   #108 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hey Gang,

I finally got in the ME0913 E-motor a few days ago. I wanted to post up a few pics for you all. Back when I pulled the Triumph Spitfire 4 cylinder engine and took a picture of it up next to the Kubota I was astonished by just how much smaller the little Kubota was in comparison.

Well I am even more astonished how much smaller the ME0913 is in comparison to the Kubota considering with the right controller the ME0913 has the potential to do 50+ Horsepower and 80Nm from a complete stand still or 0 rpm This E-motor is extremely powerful for its size at only 35lbs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Triumph vs Kubota #1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	18380   Click image for larger version

Name:	E-Motor #1.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	18381   Click image for larger version

Name:	E-Motor #2.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	18382  
Old 08-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #109 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Is this electric motor reversible?
Old 08-02-2015, 06:04 PM   #110 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yes this motor is reversible with the proper controller. It is a permanent magnet AC motor.

Reply  Post New Thread