Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #181 (permalink)
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
Basic process is you need install a gearbox linkage cables taken from some regular manual and need to modify the ECU to manual. Body itself is pretty much same shape only used lighter materials here and there.

Mario Please describe the process with VAG-com if you know how to do it or know where to get the information. I know few shops in germany and Holland do the convertions but they havent answered my emails. My gearbox is falling apart. It takes already about 45 seconds to pump enough pressure to the system to allow startup with cold engine.

And for ceasar I am very much interested to buy even those gearbox faulty 3L if they cost only 1000€ in Lithuania? Please post links when you see one next time that cheap. I need extra car for spare parts...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #182 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2TDI View Post
A lot of the ecoMODDER experiments would be labeled as not wide by many, including over inflating your tires
But we go under the limits (sidewall max) - are you under the speed limits - 100 kp/h ?
Old 01-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #183 (permalink)
Euro Golf 4 TDI s.e.

Golf4 tdi "115" - '01 VW Golf TDI Sport Edition
Diesel
Send a message via MSN to Mario_Marques
ceaser, like i told, i never ever done this on a lupo but i know how to do it, u just need to find a junkyard with nice parts
U can use gearbox from a seat ibiza 1.4 tdi/audi a2 1.4tdi/seat arosa 1.4 tdi, transmissions from an arosa or lupo 1.4 tdi, gearbox shifter and cables from a 1.4 tdi, pedals and clutch pump from those cars again, and some bits, the bets way to do it its buying a full and wrecked 1.4tdi on a junkyard

Old 01-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #184 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ok I find out in one junkyard there is lupo 3l already with conversation to full mechanic gear box. he asking 300euro for kit so in total its good deal. but he said that its not same ecu, so probably 1.4tdi. now I read little bit detail brochure about 3l and there writing and how I understand you can achieve that ultra low fuel consumption only with ECO button, what reduces the power. If ECO mode is off, so it's normal or how they said sport and in that case you can output those 61hp from engine, right? so if you keep it original 3L ECU you set ECU keep all time Drive mode (where normally on DSG you can shift up/down manually) and you can't achieve 3l fuel consumption?

Vekke, ok little bit later.

Last edited by ceasar; 01-29-2012 at 10:38 AM..
Old 01-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #185 (permalink)
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
You can get that 3 liter fuel consumtion even with 61 hp. What the eco button does it reduces the power and torgue output and this means gas pedal is not so rapid and the acceleration is easier to control. There should be only one map inside the ECU

ECO button also enables the neutral gliding which lowers a lot the fuel consumtion. You can do that with manual also.

With my current knowledge more power you have on smaller engine the better fuel consumtion figures you can reach if you use it correctly. This means you need to know how to make gear changes in same points as the car would have done in ECO mode. Also in some circumstances you can change much better because you can estimate the road ahead better that the ECU.

What you should notice that Lupo and polos have basicly the same 085 gearbox, but Lupo 3L has the best gear ratios for low fuel consumtion targets. So if you just switch a regular manual gearbox to lupo 3l you fuel consumtion will get higher for sure.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast
Old 01-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #186 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Scudo - '98 Fiat Scudo (van) 1.9 TD
90 day: 40.94 mpg (US)
So it is impossible to hit 2L at 100kmh? The guys who posted saying it s hard to tune a perfectly tuned car were right. With the budget the R&D department has in VAG I'm sure any quick fixes would have been found and implemented before the car left the factory. The only thing I can think of is aero, Why not make a temporary boat tail, do some aba testing and see what the results are. If you get under 2L then you know it is possible, if not you know you need a different project.

Car Spares
Old 02-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #187 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
But we go under the limits (sidewall max) - are you under the speed limits - 100 kp/h ?
My speed limits are more like 104 km/h and 112 km/h since I reside where there is (non imperial) MPHs

But yeah my project car is def "under the speed limits" for now:

Old 02-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #188 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekke View Post

What you should notice that Lupo and polos have basicly the same 085 gearbox, but Lupo 3L has the best gear ratios for low fuel consumtion targets. So if you just switch a regular manual gearbox to lupo 3l you fuel consumtion will get higher for sure.
I am not familiar with the Lupo transmissions (gearboxes) but would if they follow the rest of the VW family you should be able to swap out the 5th gear for a taller one (as I will be doing on my 02A), I will be using a 0.622 5th gear from a VW T4 TDI transmission, and thereby have very low RPMs at 100km/h but this will also req almost doubling my TQ values.

So yes there's two ways to approach this, the smallest lightest engines or rather powerful with very high gear so you can "idle along". Since I don't have easy access to 3 cyl 1.2 TDI engines (as I wanted to use) nor any (fresh and new) smaller & lighter VW I decided to go with the latter, since I would prefer to avoid having a daily driver with parts that I have to wait 1-2 weeks to get parts for when needed (from across the Atlantic).
Old 02-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #189 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauki View Post
So it is impossible to hit 2L at 100kmh? The guys who posted saying it s hard to tune a perfectly tuned car were right. With the budget the R&D department has in VAG I'm sure any quick fixes would have been found and implemented before the car left the factory. The only thing I can think of is aero, Why not make a temporary boat tail, do some aba testing and see what the results are. If you get under 2L then you know it is possible, if not you know you need a different project.
Having done a lot of research on this subject (not 2L per se but my goal i 3L in a larger vehicle Mk3 Golf) and being a car nut overall I think the car manufacturers while they have a lot more money to "play with" than most/any of us on here have, I believe their largest obstacles are: safety, emissions, comfort and last but by no means least PROFIT!

Take the prime example of Lupo as this thread is focusing on, it was an engineering achievement when it was first shown (as the Seat Arosa) 15 years ago *BUT* is used a lot of very expensive materials such as aluminum panels and magnesium steering wheel, so much so that it was discontinued only after six years.

Yet to date in 2012 we don't have anything to replace it that resembles it with such use of "exclusive" materials (correct me if I am wrong but both the Polo Bluemotion/Fabia Greenline & Up! and Up! Lite concept all use "traditional" metals, no?).
Old 02-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #190 (permalink)
The PRC.

C1 HDI - if they only still made it. No fancy tech, just a small Turbo D in a light car. Well lighter than a lardy Polo / Fabia

Tags
audi a2 3l 1.2 tdi, tuneko, vw lupo 3l.