Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I think the next non-ecomod I'm going to the Metro is adjusting the steering wheel angle (for lower tilt).

I've done it to all my previous Suzuki clones, but haven't gotten around to it for the Metro yet. For slightly more comfortable highway ergonomics. It's just a couple of extra washers on the 2 fat bolts that secure the steering column to the dash.
That sounds really simple. The joys of older 90s cars! The hacks are often so much simpler. My next task is probably some paint, sone testing of windshield tint, and then the flat spoiler rebuild/testing... some ABAB testing coming in June or July.

All I did today is some shopping for polymetal... shipping costs are awful $120.00+ for shipping!

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-01-2020, 11:05 PM   #32 (permalink)
Luddite

ol-green - '96 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 50.11 mpg (US)
Would you buy eBay suspension parts?
I noticed I have a bad inner tie rod end.
I also noticed a kit on Ebay would easily convert my car to a manual steering system.
A Complete kit. https://ebay.us/dO0mBR
Old 06-02-2020, 02:16 PM   #33 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxx View Post
Would you buy eBay suspension parts?
I noticed I have a bad inner tie rod end.
I also noticed a kit on Ebay would easily convert my car to a manual steering system.
A Complete kit. https://ebay.us/dO0mBR
That is interesting because it claims to be a complete kit for your specific car. I have thought of this mod too, but never saw a kit. Waiting for my own steering components to necessitate replacements, then a swap is likely. I might take inventory of this kit's components and hunt for a rack about which I might get more details as to the gearing, how many turns lock to lock. I had notes on manual racks from sport trim Civics and Integras, but I cannot find it. They have fewer turns, lock to lock. So when it comes time for me, I'll try to nail down that info and then hunt car-part.com for the right part.

The kit probably works? It is probably lighter than your existing PS rack.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
deluxx (06-03-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 11:10 AM   #34 (permalink)
Luddite

ol-green - '96 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 50.11 mpg (US)
I think I have read about that but it was for the fifth gen civics.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:54 AM   #35 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxx View Post
I think I have read about that but it was for the fifth gen civics.
Yes, that might be right. But a lot of parts are swappable across the generations of Civics, especially 1992-2000. Some even from the 4th and 7th gen cars. My transmission is from a fifth gen. There is a good list on Honda-tech at https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...ivics-1024818/

Is a bit of a slog to read through it, but I bet the steering swap I mentioned comes from that thread.

deluxx (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 05:32 PM   #36 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Today, I picked up some AluPoly sheet for the rear decklid spoiler. It's a 3mm thick sheet of polyethylene thermoplastic sandwiched between two thin layers of aluminium. Great for shaping, supposedly. See if I am able to form one good spoiler out of this 51 dollar 4'x8' sheet!

Also did the mass airflow sensor volume knob cleaning trick to my OEM 1998 Honda head unit. Works great.

skyking (06-07-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 10:14 PM   #37 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Spoiler build should be interesting!

--

Today I installed my "air conditioning" ... beaded seat cover.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 06-06-2020, 11:51 PM   #38 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Was peacefully working on the cardboard template for the decklid spoiler after ordering my jigsaw, when my daughter & her boyfriend rolled up in his lifted Tacoma with a medium sized screw sunk in a tire slowly going flat. Out came the jack, tire iron, mallet, torque wrench, sockets, my tire patch kit, and my air compressor. By sundown we had him prepped for the road in the morning. He is going on a offroading ride tomorrow at 7 a.m. ... later, in the dark, I worked a little while on my new cardboard template of the spoiler... good end to the day.

skyking (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 10:09 PM   #39 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Working on spoiler template when my daughter interrupts with her need for help on her car's HVAC (the endless repair). Did that for an hour. Then made some decisions about my flat rear decklid spoiler CAD. Took rubbings of the taillight side markers so I can adopt those radii into the radiused corners of the spoiler. It'll help the spoiler look kinda "OEM." I also have a spray can of paint in the OEM paint code. Been saving it a long time.

Old 06-10-2020, 04:51 PM   #40 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

What little success or changes has anyone else made? Complete/incomplete, fueleconomy or not... makes no difference for this thread... notes...

During the last two days I have not had much time for car, but I have made progress with the cardboard template of the flat decklid spoiler. Corners will be radiused the same as the taillight fixtures. I wish I had a meaningful picture, but I am going slow. Already started my measurements over twice and the cutting once. No more time today...

Reply  Post New Thread