Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Actually an electric hub motor could be programmed for traction control and dynamic braking is anti-lock by nature. I could go for day light running lamps especially with a bike motor battery pack and LED lamps. Call me unAmerican but I paid cash for all my bikes.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-29-2010, 01:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Lexus shows off new hybrid concept... bicycle?

Lexus Brings Hybrid Bicycle Concept to the UK

One of the comments:
Quote:
How do you adjust the saddle height ?
I guess it's electronically adjusted

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 04-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I'm surprised that they're not using the HSD technology that is used in their hybrid cars. And 240w sounds very weak, ironic considering what Lexus is often known for.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 05-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A 250w motor is available from BionX and is enough for flat land commuting a light frame and road tires. For hillclimbing, the Wildeness 600w is a popular unit. More power means more battery weight or less range.

A bicycle seat that adjusts up/down, front/back, and tilts while in the saddle would be sweet. Pneumatic controls would save weight.

Too bad the Lexus hybrid is not on sale but I image 7,000 USD would be the base price.
A smart shopper could build a similar bike from parts for half that.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
I would think, engineers would devlopa slick light efficient frame on 2 very light weight wheels capable of effortless pedaling ...

Then market testing would prove that it needs a lightweight fairing to protect occupants from wind and bugs, which leads to a windshield, wiper eventually an a/c system because the wind is directed around the passengers ...

Then they would decide that fiberglass wont get them a 5 star crash rating so they consider CF, but it becomes to expensive, so they decide on a thin metal skin.

Because of the metal skin they have to add airbags and now a radio because without wind noise, everyone gets bored. Eventually they realize that the bike has become to heavy for just 1 person to hold up so they offer 2 additional wheels to help distribute the weight and stabilize the bicycle during turns and we have the latest rendition ...

The renamed, re badges 4 wheel bicycle, which they call the car, because it is still fresh in the consumers mind ...

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

The Following User Says Thank You to trikkonceptz For This Useful Post:
VWCw (07-05-2010)
Old 05-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Engineers love an elegant solution. Marketing managers like value added features. Most of us want convenience and comfort. The irony of this whole thread is that we could build a very efficient, comfortable, and safe bicycle that includeds many features listed. The components and materials are available now. The wonder bike could be put together for less than 1,000 USD and weight under 40 lb. Aluminum honeycomb is still cheaper than carbon fiber and has excellent energy absorption. I like hex mesh glued between sheet plastic for fairing material along with coroplast and foam. Yes, Craig Vetter's new Alcan fairing is aluminum. Check out the Gravity Racers for designs.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
The wonder bike could be put together for less than 1,000 USD and weight under 40 lb.
But the long-standing joke reminds us that all bicycles will forever weigh 40 pounds: a 30 pound bicycle needs a 10 pound lock, a 25 pound bicycle needs a 15 pound lock, and a 40 pound bicycle... doesn't need a lock.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Road & Track once tested a bicycle from Maserati, and was most astonished at how many places "Campagnolo" was written on it.
Perhaps the closest the car companies come to bike work is in their annual soap-box derby. In one of the early events, they were all soundly trounced by an actual bicycle company, tiny Windcheetah, which also makes Velomobiles. These are usually trikes, with full bodywork, up to twice as fast as a bike with the same rider. The usual bodywork is adequate to prevent road rash, but one can design a shell like a big helmet, and get enough structure that way.

Most velomobiles sell for around $10,000. The one designed for mass production didn't hit big numbers. If designed as electra-peds, the price can stay the same, with savings on the ultra-light parts not needed with a booster. The regenerative braking keeps the speeds downhill from getting lethal, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bicycle Bob For This Useful Post:
Grant-53 (05-12-2010)
Old 05-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I figure the 40 lb bike would include motor, batteries, and fairing. I can weigh my 2000 Jamis Aragon and U lock with cable. I looked at weights and prices of road bikes reviewed in [I]Bicycling[I magazine. Before I spend $2500 for a 14 lb bike I want to get my own weight down below 200lb. Check the IHPVA website for the article on crashing a fully enclosed recumbant. Like our bike helmets, a little plastic and foam can go a long way. The Gravity Racers are very slick on aero drag but not the best choice for a practical velomobile. Back issues of Motor Trend once featured patterns for paper models of the Mercedes C111 Mk2 (Aug. 1971) and the Aerovette (Jan. 1972). These cars had Cd 0.32 and could be scaled to fit a Rhodes Car and hybrid motor kits are available. I'd opt for the mag wheels.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Formula - '96 Firebird Formula/Trans-Am
90 day: 19.31 mpg (US)
The engineers would build the greatest bike ever. The stylists would force the engineers to sacrifice much of it for style. The bean counters would tell the engineers to build it cheaper, further sacrificing the bike. And then the gov't would tell the engineers it must be this safe, and run this clean (methane emissions must be kept under control!), and the design would be further watered down.

The engineers would look at back at their concept, saddened as they see the production bike go on sale.

That's the general history of much of the automotive world.

Lets see how far it can go

"All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. [...] But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for the same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours." -Sonny's Blues
Reply  Post New Thread