Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I raked the windscreens on my bikes down so that my helmet was in the full airstream, but my chest* was in the windshade. At a certain angle the buffeting drops noticeably, which helps of course.
The AM windscreen on my XJ750 was narrow and rounded and could be held fairly upright.
The windscreen on my CB400n was flattish and kept buffeting somewhat even when tilted back strongly. In both cases though my helmet needed to be in full air.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 11-11-2016 at 04:13 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-11-2016, 03:28 AM   #22 (permalink)
Two weels Zero sparkplugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil View Post
I like what you have started with that fairing, it looks aerodynamic. As for the wind buffeting, you could try a spoiler that attaches to the top of the wind screen. I have heard of good results with them, I'm in the process of figuring out a windshield arrangement for my Honda PCX.

Here is one such example.
Puig Clip-On Windscreen Visor - RevZilla
We'll see if it is needed after a few test rides. Should be easy to mod on if needed but I hope not because it is not good for the streamline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I raked the windscreens on my bikes down so that my helmet was in the full airstream, but my breast was in the windshade. At a certain angle the buffeting drops noticeably, which helps of course.
The AM windscreen on my XJ750 was narrow and rounded and could be held fairly upright.
The windscreen on my CB400n was flattish and kept buffeting somewhat even when tilted back strongly. In both cases though my helmet needed to be in full air.
I'm trying to get a bit higher windscreen so me helmet more or less is beneath the buffering. I also ride in the winter so some shading from the wind would be neat.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:08 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Cheers from the electric motorcycle forum

I'm on a similar track as Erasmo, but haven't been able to coordinate well.

My DSR has a Parabellum windscreen with MRA spoiler, custom mount (tuned for slow airflow over the rider's body), and crude wheel covers.

I'm crossing fingers that the local fabricator I hired can finish up the Airtech dustbin DBL2 mount shortly. I use a kayaking/duffle bag to hold the auxiliary charger in the passenger seat and provide a bit of aerodynamic continuity between my back and the top case.

I use a high-powered AC charger instead of Erasmo's DC CHAdeMO charging kit. These things are temperamental right now, but reliable enough for technical adopters to achieve 400 miles per day while traveling. I hope to raise that figure or reduce the charging hours involved with aerodynamics.

The idea once the dustbin is on is to sculpt some aluminum-skeleton Coroplast around the rear luggage rack for a bit of a tail. Or something like that. I'm digging around intently between the Vetter/Hershner guides and others to piece something together to start with.

I've attached a recent photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6924 (1).jpg
Views:	217
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	20961  
Old 11-25-2016, 02:11 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Here's a shot showing the windscreen arrangement more clearly, in addition to the crash bars which will be adapted to support the dustbin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6884.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	20962  
Old 11-26-2016, 06:08 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Did you lose any efficiency after adding the big windshield?
Old 11-26-2016, 02:04 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Did you lose any efficiency after adding the big windshield?
Not at all. My efficiency and range went up by 10-15% generally. I did spend two months adjusting the mount just to get the best airflow over and around my body. Air quietly runs over the top of my helmet and down my back. I use an aerodynamic backpack to hold my hydration bladder when traveling in addition to the duffle on the passenger seat to close up that gap.

I did make the mount adjustable-length at the lower-end, though, so that in the face of heavy headwinds, I can tilt it down a bit and tuck to maintain that. I usually only use that while traveling; for example, to cross a stretch of Big Sur with 100 miles of no casually-accessible chargers, I took the spoiler off and tucked behind the screen. I got 120 miles of range out of that charge at ~45-55mph through fog and a small headwind.

I should say that I wound up with a long commute this year after switching jobs, and ride an 85 mile round trip along highway 880 which is windy and rough, and sitting straight upright I can usually get 100 miles of projected range at 65-70mph (mph varies based on headwinds).

If the Zero's cockpit space were not as short and small as it is, I'd be able to use a smaller windscreen to get the same effect, and I did start with a smaller screen, then added the spoiler, and then decided to mount the Parabellum.
Old 11-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I forgot to add a relevant note to explain the drag reduction:

There is a three-inch gap between the lower edge of the windscreen and the headlamp, so there's just the right amount of air flowing up from under the screen to minimize the pressure difference at the trailing edge, which keeps down the vortices. I definitely experienced strong vortices in initial testing with a naive lower mount!

My forum thread with the process I went through to make it work satisfactorily (link originally obfuscated because I hadn't made enough posts here yet):

Larger Windscreen: http://www.electricmotorcycleforum.c...php?topic=5525

Last edited by briantrice; 11-30-2016 at 03:52 AM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 11-27-2016, 05:44 PM   #28 (permalink)
Two weels Zero sparkplugs

Dropped the fairing at the panel beater this weekend, the bike will follow soon. Still have to source a new fender but my guy says he should be able to adapt an upside down fork fender to match the mounting holes, which make the search a bit easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briantrice View Post
I'm on a similar track as Erasmo, but haven't been able to coordinate well.

My DSR has a Parabellum windscreen with MRA spoiler, custom mount (tuned for slow airflow over the rider's body), and crude wheel covers.

I'm crossing fingers that the local fabricator I hired can finish up the Airtech dustbin DBL2 mount shortly. I use a kayaking/duffle bag to hold the auxiliary charger in the passenger seat and provide a bit of aerodynamic continuity between my back and the top case.

I use a high-powered AC charger instead of Erasmo's DC CHAdeMO charging kit. These things are temperamental right now, but reliable enough for technical adopters to achieve 400 miles per day while traveling. I hope to raise that figure or reduce the charging hours involved with aerodynamics.

The idea once the dustbin is on is to sculpt some aluminum-skeleton Coroplast around the rear luggage rack for a bit of a tail. Or something like that. I'm digging around intently between the Vetter/Hershner guides and others to piece something together to start with.

I've attached a recent photo.
Ah I've seem to lure you out of the lurking status after 3 years I'm waiting for the V2 version of your charger but as you know the development has hit a bit of a rough patch...

I've met another DS owner who's also looking in designing a more cargo oriented tail but for bot of us it is more of a long term project...

How are your wheel covers working out? Can't wait to see the finished dustbin on your bike.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:53 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmo View Post
Dropped the fairing at the panel beater this weekend, the bike will follow soon. Still have to source a new fender but my guy says he should be able to adapt an upside down fork fender to match the mounting holes, which make the search a bit easier.
Nice.

Quote:
Ah I've seem to lure you out of the lurking status after 3 years I'm waiting for the V2 version of your charger but as you know the development has hit a bit of a rough patch...

I've met another DS owner who's also looking in designing a more cargo oriented tail but for bot of us it is more of a long term project...
Heh, yes. Well I didn't want to speak up until I had a real project going, and while this year certainly has pushed me further into this area than I was prepared to go while I lived in Seattle, there've been a lot of hiccups that delayed my goal.

For the record, I'm only a Supercharger customer who does technical documentation and testing in exchange for early access. But yes there's a V2, I've seen a prototype and looked over the specifications and sourcing, and it has a much better story all around. I think it'll be much more quickly deliverable, too.

Quote:
How are your wheel covers working out? Can't wait to see the finished dustbin on your bike.
So, the rear ABS plastic has been reasonably robust and I've had CAD drawings for fabrication for a while, but my front set were shattered by a rock at highway speeds, which was quite concerning and that's why you see Coroplast in my photos. The Zero front wheel for 2015+ models has 5 stanchions supporting the brake disc on one side as well which makes fitment trickier.

I've decided based on this to make a custom Moon disc order and will clear the stanchions by drilling holes. I'll probably line the edges with rubber trim and backing with a little foam to reduce wear, but I need to work out how to mount them against or through the cast wheel robustly. Probably stainless steel bolts of the right length with nyloc nuts and nylon washers. Any thoughts?

Ref http://www.mooneyesusa.com/product-p/md116mc.htm

Last edited by briantrice; 11-30-2016 at 03:52 AM..
Old 11-29-2016, 09:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fred Hayes uses the Airtech dustbin and tail section on his Vetter Challenge diesel bike. Some of the other riders noticed he had some wobble at speed so a bit of vertical fin might be useful. Check with low&slow for his input.

Reply  Post New Thread