Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2021, 08:19 PM   #671 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'm seeing signs at fast food joints advertising $15/hr and signing bonuses.
At full time hours all year long that's a $30,000/year or $2,500/month before taxes job. But rent is at least $1,200/month in my area right now with two bedroom homes going for more than $2,000/month.

I'm not quite sure how that would work out for a +$500,000 house monthly though, but it's probably not that much cheaper. And getting a house less than that is hard to do in my area.

But I think we could live off $1,000/month for food and everything else besides rent/mortgage if we had to. But with some rentals requiring you make at least 3.5 times the rental amount that may not happen with a job like that.

The thing is that a lot of places here are in great need of workers since so many workers are leaving due to the living costs. But they don't or can't pay according to what a living wage should be. Yes, los of places hiring at $15/hour. I've been begged to work as a commercial driver, but they wanted to pay me $15/hour. That's not going to happen with the housing costs the way they are.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-09-2021, 12:22 AM   #672 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
At full time hours all year long that's a $30,000/year or $2,500/month before taxes job. But rent is at least $1,200/month in my area right now with two bedroom homes going for more than $2,000/month.

I'm not quite sure how that would work out for a +$500,000 house monthly though, but it's probably not that much cheaper. And getting a house less than that is hard to do in my area.

But I think we could live off $1,000/month for food and everything else besides rent/mortgage if we had to. But with some rentals requiring you make at least 3.5 times the rental amount that may not happen with a job like that.

The thing is that a lot of places here are in great need of workers since so many workers are leaving due to the living costs. But they don't or can't pay according to what a living wage should be. Yes, los of places hiring at $15/hour. I've been begged to work as a commercial driver, but they wanted to pay me $15/hour. That's not going to happen with the housing costs the way they are.
In my hometown Amazon or Walmart pays $15 an hour and a 3 bedroom / 2 bath brick house sells for $100K (Much less if you want to live in a bad part of town)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...67236339_zpid/

Or you can live a few miles outside of town in the township among the cornfields for a little bit more ($125K)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...67288598_zpid/

EDIT: Or if you are really fancy you can live with the rich folks over in Saginaw Township for $145K

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...67280956_zpid/

Last edited by JSH; 09-09-2021 at 12:35 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 12:27 AM   #673 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
My wife just said the front desk staff at the clinic she works at pays $20/hr plus benefits.

It wasn't that long ago I was making $17/hr for providing tier 1-3 IT services. It was a position that had no boundaries with regards to what I was asked to service. I bought my first 4 bedroom 2.5 bath house by saving from those wages.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zachary (09-09-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #674 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Isaac Zachary, do you have bike trails? I want to start riding my bike, but we don't have bike lanes, and we made the news when some guy in a truck ran over several cyclists.

I didn't feel comfortable riding my bike here before that!
Old 09-11-2021, 04:57 PM   #675 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Isaac Zachary, do you have bike trails? I want to start riding my bike, but we don't have bike lanes, and we made the news when some guy in a truck ran over several cyclists.

I didn't feel comfortable riding my bike here before that!
Now that you mention it biking has gotten a lot worse. There are bike lanes, but the mass of SUV owners have decided that they need that lane too. I've known a few people who've been hit and killed on their bikes.

It seems back before the SUV craze it wasn't as much as a problem. Either that or I want aware that it was back then. Then again a while ago the first article on the IIHS's website was about how SUVs have a much much higher statistic for running over pedestrians and cyclists and not much is being done about it.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:50 PM   #676 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
That is one way to state it. From the news articles I read a pickup truck driver purposely swerved over 3 lanes and plowed through a pack of about 40 cyclist taking part in a bike race on a closed section of road.

No amount of bike infrastructure is going to protect you from an intentional attack like that.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:44 PM   #677 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
It will always be easier to tear down than to build up. Lazy people tear down. Angry people tear down. Useless people tear down.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 09-22-2021, 10:29 PM   #678 (permalink)
Not Doug

From what I read the road was open, but don't believe the propaganda, you don't receive points for running over cyclists, okay?

It said that he hit a telephone pole. That was around when our power was out after hours and someone told me somebody ran into a power pole.

Nobody I knew knew about the bike race ahead of time and it wasn't new.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:24 AM   #679 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
It will always be easier to tear down than to build up. Lazy people tear down. Angry people tear down. Useless people tear down.
We like to call ourselves energy vampires

Old 10-15-2021, 12:46 AM   #680 (permalink)
Not Doug

I reached out a couple of times to Navy Federal about renovation loans, but never heard back. The company through which I have life insurance notified me that they do construction loans, but their employee said even buying a lot and putting in a mobile home would cost more than I could afford, but it sounds like a large part of that is that construction loans have a 5.5% interest rate.

He asked about one- or two-bedroom houses, but I would rather keep saving up than commit everything to one of those.

I asked about renovation loans and asked if the stork house was still on the market. I told you guys that it sold, but apparently that fell through, so he said that we would look into it.

He keeps asking what my realtor's name is and I have not found it, but I have had lots of work drama. Over a month ago my boss dropped a client, but told me to fill out a 7-page packet they had requested. My supervisor spent a week telling me we needed to discuss it, but she didn't have time, and then she spent almost half an hour telling me to change my observation, and she didn't allow me to discuss anything.

I told her "This is a PDF. I can't edit it. I need to completely redo it."
"That's fine."

Then she made me redo everything for a small change--twice.

I asked our boss how many times I needed to completely redo a packet for a client we dropped weeks ago and he said he thought this was the last time.

"Last time, Sir."
"Thank you."

Then she kept telling me that I didn't make the change we discussed. We didn't discuss anything, she told me what to do, but I made that change. I e-mailed the boss and he wrote 2 paragraphs about how I need to do what my supervisor says and we should have finished this a while ago.

Yes, but my supervisor keeps telling me to redo it again.

I saw a job posting last week that offered at least as much an hour as I currently earn. I applied, but didn't hear back, so I called today, she asked me to e-mail her the ZIP codes in which I want to work, and she said "Welcome to the team! We found one client and we are going to keep looking!"

Then my current supervisor wanted to observe a session, but the client didn't connect. We discussed progress reports and then I asked what else she wants me to change. her calm demeanor disappeared and she raised her voice. She told me to remove yet another professional observation made over almost 3 years seeing this client and she raised her voice further, just like every time that I try to discuss anything.

She seems to take that as questioning her authority, yet she keeps claiming that we discussed things.

I pulled up the document and removed yet another part, but Word was being weird, and I was having difficulty focusing because my supervisor was yelling at me.

"Got it. Are we finished?"

She did not like that!

She kept yelling at me and I closed Zoom. I mentioned to our boss that I asked my supervisor what she wanted me to change this time and tried to change it, but she started yelling at me, so I ended the call. Then I finished the packet, sent it to her, redid a progress report, let her know, and resumed working on the application for the new agency.

I am going to catch up on notes tonight.

For the record, this is the first issue that I have had with this supervisor, but I worry that it will be the last, and the boss seems to side with supervisors 100% of the time.

I think her side is that I completely disrespected her by saying "You already said that, Ma'am" and "If there's nothing else, I am going to let you go."

Then I wrote my own letter of recommendation about how respectful I am towards my supervisor, but this was my Sergeant, and he never yelled at me.

Lots of Sergeants yelled at me, but none of them accused me of insubordination.

Last edited by Xist; 10-15-2021 at 02:24 AM.. Reason: Errant punctuation.
Reply  Post New Thread