Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2021, 08:03 AM   #681 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I hope your move away from a toxic supervisor is successful. Been there...good luck.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #682 (permalink)
Growin a stash

Run a screen recording session in the background so you can get this stuff captured. For two reasons:

- capture your supervisor being obnoxious
- maybe when you replay the video, you will find that there was something you could have done better. Might not be 100% their fault.

Also sounds like you need better pdf filling software!

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
Old 10-15-2021, 10:51 AM   #683 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
So, I don't know why when I saved the Word form only half of my entries were preserved, but it was locked so that others could only edit the answer fields. Word doesn't let me unlock it, but WPS Office did.

Now it is a normal Word document. Spell check works. One of the Yes\no questions didn't have boxes, but I was able to add that.

I think that I liked the Word form at first because when I wrote a couple of sentences it automatically shifted things down. It doesn't seem that PDFs are flexible like that. Every PDF form has had a set amount of space for answers.

I would have been able to edit the PDF if I saved it, but one problem with my program is that even though I bought it it puts a watermark on all of my documents, so I print to PDF, which flattens the elements.

I recently discovered that Adobe Reader allows us to sign documents and check boxes. If that is all that I need to do I just use that.

Anyway, now that I unlocked the document I inserted my signature and I should be able to make any continued changes as easily as with any other Word document, print to PDF, and submit it.

They only seem to value SLPs at this agency and I no longer feel comfortable asking this one to write my letter of recommendation for grad school. Hopefully the new agency can provide one, although that would be weird.

"Hey! Nice to meet you! Will you write me a letter of recommendation?"
"Uh... okay. To whom it may concern, I just met Xist, but he seems great..."
Old 10-15-2021, 01:53 PM   #684 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
. I e-mailed the boss and he wrote 2 paragraphs about how I need to do what my supervisor says and we should have finished this a while ago.

Yes, but my supervisor keeps telling me to redo it again.

Snip

For the record, this is the first issue that I have had with this supervisor, but I worry that it will be the last, and the boss seems to side with supervisors 100% of the time.

Seems pretty clear to me. The boss is backing your supervisor so write your reports how your supervisor tells you to or plan to find a new job.

Didn't you recently change supervisors?
Old 10-15-2021, 06:21 PM   #685 (permalink)
Not Doug

Reading is hard!

Quote:
I saw a job posting last week that offered at least as much an hour as I currently earn. I applied, but didn't hear back, so I called today, she asked me to e-mail her the ZIP codes in which I want to work, and she said "Welcome to the team! We found one client and we are going to keep looking!"
The last supervisor was great until she started changing my progress reports and refused to tell me what she wanted me to do differently or what she had changed. She acted like I was insubordinate for refusing to sign off on legal documents when I didn't know what changes she made.

I needed to fix changes she made previously. It is amazing how these people magically know what happens in sessions they didn't observe with clients they never met.

This one had me make what I think was the sixth version last night and the seventh this morning. She isn't complaining about the changes that I make, she is telling me exactly what to write, but usually she tells me to remove entire sentences. She keeps finding new thing she doesn't like.

The paragraph explaining it is my professional opinion that an iPad isn't medically necessary for my former client is now half as long as it used to be.

If she tells me to remove so many reasons that she then says that I don't have a good argument against a free $5,000 iPad, I might as well recommend in favor I will flatly refuse and tolerate no discussion.

The whole document is my professional opinion, not one of a third party that recently learned of my client and myself, and has never met either of us.
ME_Andy (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 11:00 PM   #686 (permalink)
Not Doug

I finished my notes and was playing chess when my screen turned green and Lappy froze

When I recovered Event Viewer just said "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

I am not finding anything relevant on-line. The whole screen was green. If there was an error message it was green-on-green. It was like there was an R&B party elsewhere, just leaving the G.

It seems to be working. I don't know what to do about it at this point, so I am going to finish that huge stack of paperwork.
  1. Title page with personal information and a checklist. It asks for my starting pay and I put
  2. My SLPA license
  3. My fingerprint card
  4. CPR\First Aid
  5. One of my certifications
  6. My résumé. I don't have any letters of reference unless 2 for graduate school are generic enough for a job, but 3 people agreed to help.
  7. My driver's license.
  8. I filled out a 5-page criminal affidavit and printed out the page to get notarized, but I didn't have time today. I need to see who is open on Saturday.
  9. I need to attach my professional insurance.
  10. I need to fill out my W9.
  11. I need to fill out a Business Associate Agreement...
  12. as well as a contract.
  13. I need to give my direct deposit information. Should I open an account with Quorum for a whopping 0.6% interest and live off of my first paycheck? Who said to put my money somewhere that will more likely than not earn more than inflation?
  14. I need to attach a couple of professional numbers I have.
  15. I need to fill out an Internet agreement.
  16. I need to fill out an orientation form.
  17. I do not need to create an account with CAQH. Does this sound like a lot of stuff? Does it seem like I should be working on this, not just talking about it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iiUd6uX.png
Views:	72
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	31375  
Old 10-22-2021, 02:31 PM   #687 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
The last supervisor was great until she started changing my progress reports and refused to tell me what she wanted me to do differently or what she had changed. She acted like I was insubordinate for refusing to sign off on legal documents when I didn't know what changes she made.

I needed to fix changes she made previously. It is amazing how these people magically know what happens in sessions they didn't observe with clients they never met.
So you have the same problem with both supervisors. That tells me the problem is you, not the supervisors. There is a way your company wants the paperwork done and you aren't doing it that way.

Quote:
This one had me make what I think was the sixth version last night and the seventh this morning. She isn't complaining about the changes that I make, she is telling me exactly what to write, but usually she tells me to remove entire sentences. She keeps finding new thing she doesn't like.

The paragraph explaining it is my professional opinion that an iPad isn't medically necessary for my former client is now half as long as it used to be.

If she tells me to remove so many reasons that she then says that I don't have a good argument against a free $5,000 iPad, I might as well recommend in favor I will flatly refuse and tolerate no discussion.
How much does your company make on that $5,000 iPad if you say the client needs it? How much does the way your write your report effect how much the company makes? There is likely a reason you supervisors and boss are telling you to write your reports a certain way.

Can you even make the call if they need the iPad or it that decision up to the SLP that is responsible for the clients treatment plan?

Quote:
The whole document is my professional opinion, not one of a third party that recently learned of my client and myself, and has never met either of us.
That 3rd party is the SLP that is responsible for the client. You are their assistant.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:43 PM   #688 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
I haven't followed all this.

Bosses have occasionally insisted on doing something wrong. When it's very wrong, I make it a point to exactly follow as instructed and allow the fallout to accumulate until the system is changed.

A bad system isn't fixed by ignoring instruction from management because either a. they won't notice you didn't follow the instruction, in which case their system is still wrong for everyone else, or b. they eventually fire you for not adhering to their system. That leaves only option c. to exactly follow the bad system until its dysfunction is made apparent and changed.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 10-22-2021, 02:50 PM   #689 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I haven't followed all this.

Bosses have occasionally insisted on doing something wrong. When it's very wrong, I make it a point to exactly follow as instructed and allow the fallout to accumulate until the system is changed.

I do the same. If I don't agree with something I voice my opinion. If the boss still says to do it their way then I execute to the letter and document, document, document. (Unless it is illegal which hasn't been a problem anywhere I've worked)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
A bad system isn't fixed by ignoring instruction from management because either a. they won't notice you didn't follow the instruction, in which case their system is still wrong for everyone else, or b. they eventually fire you for not adhering to their system. That leaves only option c. to exactly follow the bad system until its dysfunction is made apparent and changed.
Or option D - Find a new job were they do things the way you think it should be done.

I agree you can't change the system by trying to buck it - that just gets you fired.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (10-22-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 04:49 PM   #690 (permalink)
Not Doug

The agency doesn't benefit monetarily from making me fill out this form repeatedly. If my supervisor ever approves it the support coordinator will send it off for review, and someone unaffiliated with my organization would decide whether or not to send an SLP from Northern Arizona University to evaluate the client and if that SLP decides that the verbal client needs a communication device then the state would buy it a from medical device vendor.

If my supervisor were responsible for anything she would fill out the packet herself.

By the way, she ranted at me for not consulting her before filling out the packet our boss told me to. I pointed out that our boss told me to.

"Yeah, but..."

"Is there anything else?"