Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2021, 03:48 PM   #711 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,709 Posts
My Commander-in-Chief wanted to tax everything in World of Warcraft, but was only able to tax our monthly subscription.

I don't have any idea how you assess a value on items in-game--not everyone who plays the game values everything in-game!

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-29-2021, 05:30 PM   #712 (permalink)
Not Doug

Can I afford this? Do I want to?!

640-square-foot fixer-upper.
It ishalf the size of Mom's house and without a garage, somore like 40% of thesize. Ihave talked before about buying a small house and building a garage with an apartment above it, butthis seems better suited as a guest house if there is room for a real house on the small lot.

Of course, Mom would say to bulldoze it and put in a real house, but the last time that I talked to someone about buying a home he said that the land is too expensive for a mobile home, let alone a real one.

Do you think someone will go Full Smurf House on it? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4.../8420120_zpid/

I don't know why my phone isn't putting all of the spaces between all of the words.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:17 PM   #713 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,607 Times in 7,088 Posts
Smurf houses are round, so -- yes, do it.

Adobe print-in-place walls and a cap of prefabricated panels. Cheaper than a mobile home.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:59 PM   #714 (permalink)
Not Doug

This house costs 25% more, but it is 72% bigger--not counting the 480 square foot block building with a 3/4 bath, the 120-square-foot shed, and it isn't much, but there is a 1-car carport.

It is a weird house and it needs work, but at least we have 12 pictures. That is six times as many as the other house!

While it needs work it qualifies for a conventional loan! That is vastly better than the other!

It is 20 miles and 24 minutes away, which is more than I would like, at least in that direction. It is in Snowflake, which is lower in elevation, so it is warmer. If I am going to have an outside-the-box home I want it in Pinetop-Lakeside, which is higher than Show Low, gets more snow, and is greener.

Pinetop-Lakeside is also on the other side of Home Depot, Lowe's, and our Walmart, while Snowflake just has a smaller Walmart.

It is only 3 miles from that Walmart, but 23 miles and 28 miles from Home Depot and Lowe's.

It is also on 1.53 acres, compared with 6,534 square feet for the other, so the property is over ten times as large!

The other is in the middle of the lot and surrounded by trees. You could add on here or there, but I don't think you could add a garage.

I am unsure that Google street view knows where the house is, but it just shows dead brush and bare trees.

The other location sure is prettier!

"Fresh exterior paint and new roof."

Nice!

There is a length of of gutter over the front door. I would replace it and maybe do gutters the rest of the way.

The metal under the fireplace is discolored. Can you polish out that?

The tile in the front room and kitchen look good. The cabinets are dated, but if I could remove the stains from the corners where they have been grabbed for 50 years, remove the child lock tabs from the fronts, and remove the paint from the tops, it would be okay.

There is something seriously wrong with the door frame. Hopefully spackle and paint would make it look okay.

The first bedroom has cheap carpet and is missing wall plates.

Laminate?

Vinyl plank?

The next bedroom has the tiniest ceiling fan that I have ever seen. The edges suggest they were trimmed. It also has a cheap carpet without anything by the door.

I don't know if the seventh picture is of the master bedroom or what. It isn't big enough for a bonus room!

It has cheap adhesive carpet tiles in one part and what looks like a remnant in another, with dated and mismatched ceiling fixtures.

There is also paint on the door.

The first bathroom is missing a drawer.

If that was the master bedroom the electrical box is in a closet.

Who does that?!

I wouldn't mind if it were in the side, but it is in the shelves!

I don't know where the water heater and furnace are, but it looks like they took the cabinet that went over someone's refrigerator and ran wires into it.

I want an electrician's opinion on the 10th picture!

The shed needs to be repainted and the door needs to be resurfaced, but that is barely larger than Mom's and it has a normal door!

I don't know how great that would work for storing stuff like lawnmowers, though.

The block building doesn't look like much and it is attached to the carport, which is even worse.

It isn't an attractive place for sure, but I could move in and start fixing it up right away!

$175,0003 bd1 ba1,099 sqft 2656 Paper Mill Rd, Taylor, AZ 85939

Last edited by Xist; 10-30-2021 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: Wrong link!
Old 10-29-2021, 10:43 PM   #715 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I had an uncle that lived in the hills above Willamina. He built the shell of his new bigger house over the old little one and then tore it out from the inside.

Old 10-30-2021, 11:47 AM   #716 (permalink)
Not Doug

I have seen shells built around mobile homes, fifth-wheels, etc.

They don't tear out the original structure and it looks horribly lame.

There is a single-wide for sale right now that has a real roof on 4x4 posts, which I have seen a few times. I just think it is weird when the new roof is the same size as the mobile home itself. Why does it need to be so big?

This one is at least a double-wide roof, so yay. Covered patio.

It looks weird, though!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4.../8409177_zpid/
Old 10-30-2021, 01:30 PM   #717 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's hard to see in this example, but any trailer that has flat sheet sides and roof, and metal angle edging isn't fit to be outdoors. Although, the faux shutters stapled to the walls either side of the window is a nice touch.

That site built roof probably cost half as much as the whole manufactured home.

Three in my neighborhood have a roof without the posts. My next door neighbor has skirting that laps over the siding and it has pulled out about 1.5" which is full of leaf mold and moss. One thin layer of sheet metal between that and the edge of their plywood floor.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:14 PM   #718 (permalink)
Not Doug

I understand that some support a real roof and some cannot. I just think it is weird that they have the posts and stuck with the weird look and inferior mobile home insulation in snow country.

So, this place just hit Zillow. It is 29% smaller than the last house, doesn't have a 480-square-foot outbuilding and there isn't mention of a 120-square-foot shed. There isn't a rickety carport, but I could walk there!
It also seems move-in ready, if not exciting: $167,0002 bd1 ba780 sqft 400 N 4th Ave, Show Low, AZ 85901

So, including the outbuilding and shed, this has half of the available interior space.

Huh. I linked the tiny house in Show Low again instead of the one in Taylor. Fixed!

Compared to the previous house in Show Low this one 22% bigger with a 20% higher asking price--a slightly better value, but they list VA financing as an option, so in theory it meets their high standards, while the other house is cash only!

My sister pointed out that the Zestimate is only $161.80 per square foot, but somehow the other, which again is cash only and doesn't have interior pictures or many photos of the outside, is somehow $183.91 per square foot.

My sister then linked a house that is 1,000 square feet larger and they are asking almost $100,000 more. That sounds like a much better value, but both are on corners, and it is on much busier streets.

It is also $60,000 more than the last guy said I could afford. Zillow says the monthly cost of the smaller one would be $739 and that sounds like a stretch.

The listing says that there is room to add a garage or ???.

My sister says it would be totally worthwhile to build a garage. Of course a 20x20 garage with a 4x12 roof like the house wouldn't have any space for an attic.

Pity.

My sister also mentioned adding a master suite. Yesterday I joked about adding a 151-square-foot bathroom onto the 3-bedroom, 1-bath house in Taylor.

That would make it 1,250 square feet.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:38 PM   #719 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
The most I can afford is $100,000. The cheapest house in town is around three times that. Although I'd love to buy a house, we're just going to have to keep living where we're at for the forseeable future. And if that fails we'll just have to move into the nomatic lifestyle on public lands like everyone else.

The Hidden Homeless - Gunnison Times
Old 10-30-2021, 07:40 PM   #720 (permalink)
Not Doug

Being homeless is illegal in many places!