Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 04:19 AM   #31 (permalink)
electricman

Truck Loads & AeroCaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
While I like aerocaps for the potential fe benefits for pickups, I gotta wonder what the point of driving a pickup around with an aerocap is? Doesn't the cap largely defeat the purpose of driving a truck in the first place?

I suppose truck users with loads that 1) are too much for cars and 2) fit under aerocaps could benefit. I think, realistically, there aren't many in that position. If they don't have such loads perhaps they should be in cars.
As I said on my project - it was also bought because the 2005 Optra Station Wagon only has a 1000 lb towing limit, and the Firefly EV ( www.myelectricfly.com ) weighs in at 2000 lbs with smaller group 24 PbA Batteries. So - Why would I want to tow it with a (aerodynamically) dirtier vehicle than required - and - also - this project is in practice for aero designs for larger trucks, cube-vans, and on up!

So - the project is but a stepping stone, and the EV is not so cheap itself, what with searching for and finding and buying instrumentation, battery power controlls and equalizers, and of course - a new set of batteries shortly after buying the car, custom uppostery on it's seats - for a bit of flair, and the required rust removal and whole metal body work and other items to pass the safety after buying it!

And - some people simply prefer pickups for the ride height on the highway - and would not be cought dead in a Mini-van! (Therefore the reasoning that maybe I could make this test it - prove it and replicate it for sale if the demand was there!) Enjoy!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #32 (permalink)
electricman

Latest test numbers - short drive

Quote:
Yes, more. As in, more fuel log data.

This last weekend, I got 10.0 litres per 100 km on the new tank after about 73 km total, street and highway mix. I Went from Downsview to North Brampton, and later back. On the way back from the stret drive and highway drive back to 401 & Keele Street, I got 9.8 l/100 km. (That is the rating for the 2008 dodge Dakota from Tansport Canada.)

The problem is how does this compare without the cap on? Well I need to take th cap off to check that - and so far - it has been along time since it was off! (After all - having it on makes it quieter - too, so why whould I want to have more noise!)

I have a more running story on it on my own blog at Dodge Dakota Aerocap - check that out for more regular updates.

Oh yeah - it has seen two car washes and it handles them OK in it's current condition - and since it is made from foam - I have searched for and found a good source of a coating for foam - from Industrial Polymers Incorporated - in Texas - Styrospray 1000 - Industrial Polymers Corporation-StyroSpray

Hope some of this helps. I still need to clean up the edges at the bed for a nicer fit and finish, the forward face behind the cab back window - needs work and shaping yet, but I have rounded the corners so that makes it look a bit nicer.

Robert
Old 06-02-2009, 02:22 PM   #33 (permalink)
electricman

Gap Fillers & Pizza Pans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Whuups ...... back again.

I just noticed that you are LEASING your truck.

Scratch the gap filler idea.
Well - I am Leasing it, but - I Did pay extra fro the privaledge of returning it with some scratches, dents, holes, etc. - normal work nicks and so on. And - I just looked at the wheel wells yesterday - a good candidate for some extra holes with Sealed or closed / Capped/Dome type Anchor Nuts mounted in there to attache a wheel sell cover project. The Capped ones don't get dirty threads - easier to remove, and easier to seal! (Just Use a little B2!)

Reference links - Locknuts for Aerospace from Aircraft Fasteners International
http://www.spstech.com/aero/prod_lit/esna_catalog.pdf - page 8

I like the Pizza Pan Smoothies Idea - need to check that out and measure my wheels for similar fits! Might be able to buy $$ actual smoothies - I know a shop that found some for a Honda Civic that would fit on my electricfly! Maybe we can get some bigger ones for the truck!

Robert
Old 09-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #34 (permalink)
electricman

Aerocaps & Access

AEROCAPS.info - A Project to improve the Aerodynamics of a Pickup using an Aerodynamic CAP

Quote:
While I like aerocaps for the potential fe benefits for pickups, I gotta wonder what the point of driving a pickup around with an aerocap is? Doesn't the cap largely defeat the purpose of driving a truck in the first place? .
Hi Frank, I am not sure of the other designs, but I have been thinking heavily of this issue along the way - and looking at various ways to get the best aero while not carying - but access with ease also.

Quote:
I'm thinking of my own truck situation... yeah, an aerocap could help the fe to some degree... but then I wouldn't have unfettered access to the box! It would be quite a chore to load a snowmobile or riding mower or snow blower or whatever even if there was a conventional cap on, not to mention an aero cap. IF I'm driving that sow in the first place it's because I'm hauling or towing something! When I'm not hauling or towing... I don't use the truck.
So - What about a removable trailing 40-60% segment, or better yet - a cover found like in Tonneaus - a slide up or roll up center area, either manual or powered?

By the Way - some new pics posted on my truck at my new website - AEROCAPS - see the second item in menu too!

Also - my Blog has a few new items in it -with mileage results, etc.

Robert

Last edited by electricman; 09-02-2009 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: Fix Typo's - add blog link
Old 09-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #35 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
What I'm getting at is the best solution while not carrying is probably a car, scooter, bicycle, feet...

Old 09-02-2009, 12:49 AM   #36 (permalink)
electricman

Well, My Car - is the electricfly, and it would not have carried the items for a cruise, and the camping gear for a trip to Oshkosh, Wisconsin, this summer, let alone drive the distance - therfore one of the reasons for the AeroCap are shared. Another thing - the Wagon I had before the Truck - had a maximum towing capacity of 1,000 lbs - so could not take the electricfly to shows beyond it's own driving distance on a charge! (It weighs in at about 2,000 lbs with batteries in!)

A Scooter - parked in an open an unsecured apartment building parking lot could be scooped by a couple of kids, and - our apartment is up stairs - no elevator!

Walking is what I often do to go to work, the Bank, or the Mall - Because I moved to a place wherein I could do such things by walking - so - your are right!

However - I would not be ready to walk from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale, to catch a cruise, or from Fort Lauderdale to Oshkosh to make Air Venture, nor from Oshkosh back to Toronto to get home and back to work! So - a variety of transportation methods still need to be around for varying types of trips, and uses.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:58 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to BMACM65
Electricman, did you get this idea from my truck on MPGResearch? I have a 98 Dak and built mine from plywood designed on Rhino3d. I am in Michigan and since my buddy in Nova Scotia wanted a bunch of stuff taken to him on my vacation there, I had to cut a hatch in it for border inspection. It worked out well but the wood was not exterior enough.
May be building another soon!
Old 09-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #38 (permalink)
electricman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMACM65 View Post
Electricman, did you get this idea from my truck on MPGResearch?
Nope! I Had the General Idea, over 20 years ago, when I bought a KitPlane - partly finished, after I got my Pilots Licence, and started understanding tuft-testing on the Van's RV-3; and from the last big fuel crisis - when they started a small Aero program on Semi's.

It got a bit refined when I read about Phil's Knox's Streamlined T-100, and the materials I chose were based on where I work, where I live, and the fact that Kit Planes with foam are very creative in shape. I figured a curved shape might be different, or better, than a straight slope, like Phils Cover.

Robert
AEROCAPS HOME - A Project to improve the Aerodynamics of a Pickup using an Aerodynamic CAP
Old 09-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
electricman

Oh yea - I also have had to open the tailgate for a few Border Inspections while going to the States with the AeroCap on, but that is easy to do, and we had a bunch of our camping gear in the box under the cap last trip. Also- we will be heading off to Detroit this coming Friday - Sept-11-09, for some other business training events over the course of the weekend, so will be seeing how the Border hop across the Ambasador Bridge goes.

Robert
Old 12-30-2009, 02:24 AM   #40 (permalink)
electricman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Honestly, I swear I searched.

I'll try again.

I'm back : 14 entries under the aerodynamics forum and 'dakota'.
Hey - I know your looking - and this one might not be the one -
Aerocap travels from Toronto, Ontario, Canada to Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA.

but if it has some interest - the story continues here - for your interest.

My own plans still include - a full or nearly full botton tray, bed side fills under the box outside skin - as it is a lot of open space in there too, and the other aero things in front an back often discussed or shown here.

Last edited by electricman; 12-30-2009 at 02:27 AM.. Reason: link messed up
Reply  Post New Thread