Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Events & Meet-ups
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #41 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Is the course on public roads with speed limits and stop signs etc?

Can you run the course the afternoon before so you have an idea what's up ahead?

I'm tempted. It's about a 350 mile drive for me, each way. I'll lose a day's work if I want to be there to run the course on Friday afternoon. But, I'm tempted.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Having run the course once, I now don't know how much advantage you'd gain from running it once before the official run. Most of the miles are straight with good forward visibility. Most of the times where you have to figure out the best throttle position for the bottom of the hill are times when you can see the crest of the hill, or the hill is too large to be able to pick a higher speed at the bottom, then pick a lowest speed for by the time you reach the top. There are a couple of nasty DWL hills on the course that you just have to tough out. I posted an elevation map with 1-mile data points in last year's GGP thread if you're interested in that. That helps as much as you can expect to prepare; I personally would've found it more beneficial to run the Adirondak run beforehand with all the unexpected twists, turns, and medium sized hills. Do what you will though
Old 03-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #43 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
Having run the course once, I now don't know how much advantage you'd gain from running it once before the official run. Most of the miles are straight with good forward visibility. Most of the times where you have to figure out the best throttle position for the bottom of the hill are times when you can see the crest of the hill, or the hill is too large to be able to pick a higher speed at the bottom, then pick a lowest speed for by the time you reach the top. There are a couple of nasty DWL hills on the course that you just have to tough out. I posted an elevation map with 1-mile data points in last year's GGP thread if you're interested in that. That helps as much as you can expect to prepare; I personally would've found it more beneficial to run the Adirondak run beforehand with all the unexpected twists, turns, and medium sized hills. Do what you will though
The wife says we can go, she wants to see the park anyway...

Unfortunately, I won't be running, but I'll definitely be there for support.

What's the entry for an innocent bystander?

Old 03-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #44 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
Thanks Wonderboy.
That's pretty good - I could work about a 5-6 hour day and then leave for Watkins Glen. Won't lose much income that way.

New question -
I think I'd be in the non-sanctioned event since I'm new to the FE rally scene. Does that seem right to you? Which event are the rest of you guys entering?

Wifey keeps asking if I'm going to become obsessive about these rallies. I said no. Of course, I'm already obsessive about fuel economy. That train left the statioln years ago.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #45 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
If you're anything like me, you will immediately become obsessive about these events the minute this one is over. I expect that you will find yourself disappointed if you're unable to make any future local economy runs.

Yes, we will all be part of the "non-sanctioned" run. The actual SCCA rally is a time-distance rally, and seems pretty boring to me, but to each his own - many people would find driving really slowly around a lake boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ
Unfortunately, I won't be running...
Even if I furnished you with a car to run with?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #46 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
If you're anything like me, you will immediately become obsessive about these events the minute this one is over. I expect that you will find yourself disappointed if you're unable to make any future local economy runs.

Yes, we will all be part of the "non-sanctioned" run. The actual SCCA rally is a time-distance rally, and seems pretty boring to me, but to each his own - many people would find driving really slowly around a lake boring.

Even if I furnished you with a car to run with?
In all honesty, I had originally planned on talking to you about this very idea. However, due to the circumstances, I think it would be prudent to spend the majority of the day with my family, and meet up with the fellow forum members later on at lunch/dinner time, after the runs have finished.

I haven't had a good chance to take my wife somewhere interesting in quite awhile, and I can't see myself taking her there, then leaving her with our Son and possibly my Father while I go off to drive at a snail's pace around the lake.

As much as that sounds fun, I think I'll bow out of this one... maybe next year.

But, it does seem like we'll be able to cameo... We'll work at it one step at a time?

Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Saab EV - '19 Chevy Bolt EV LT

Pierre - '07 ZENN MC2 Base
I ran in a road rally yesterday with the South Jersey region of SCCA and among the fancy sports cars in attendance, look what also showed up to run with us.

This car was driven by Ken Barbour and his wife Aimee, who were running their first ever road rally together. What's interesting is that they were driving an all electric MINI. I didn't write down the details Ken told me, but going from memory, he said that there are only a small number of these in the country on a trial basis. He mentioned that currently, there aren't any plans to sell them here and this one will need to be turned in soon. He said that it was a shame because he wishes he could buy it, as he is impressed with it's performance and capability. I think he said he's gone 140 miles without a recharge [he must have been hypermiling the thing].

The case where the electircal controls are stored. The batteries are in the rear of the car. After the rally I saw it plugged into an outlet behind the restaurant "fueling" up for the ride home.

I mentioned the Green Grand Prix to them and they had not heard of it. Well suffice to say that they have now.

Last edited by blownb310; 03-30-2010 at 10:20 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blownb310 For This Useful Post:
brucepick (03-30-2010), SVOboy (05-10-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #48 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
I'm in - registered!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #49 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
I posted an elevation map with 1-mile data points in last year's GGP thread if you're interested in that.
I couldn't find it, but I'd be interested in looking at the route and elevation profile. Also, what will be our average speed?
Old 04-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Saab EV - '19 Chevy Bolt EV LT

Pierre - '07 ZENN MC2 Base
I posted a note regarding my intentions to run in this event with my Datsun B210 on the Finger Lakes region SCCA road rally forum and received this note from event organizer Bob Gillespie:

"Great news, Mike. This will be a good time and great publicty for
Eco-Modders. A video of you guys will most likely end up on the National
SCCA website by way of a promotional video that schools are entering. We
expect several video crews."

Mike