Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #41 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I wonder if we'll also get Dodge Colt re-branded version of this car
Nowadays it would be easier to see a rebadged version of the Fiat Palio as a Dodge

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am going to have a look at these when my local dealer emails me when they get there first one in. Should be in the next week or two they said. I am keen to see them in real life compared to just pics. Hope they drive well.

Jamie
Old 01-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #43 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Cool! Sounds like they're being really aggressive with pricing in Australia. They're basically already discounting to get sales going.

FYI, Tim and I have decided we like the prospects of this car so much we're setting up a dedicated forum for it (a whole new web site). Mitsu Canada has confirmed the "Mirage" name for this market. Still not sure about the U.S. name yet though.

We're aiming to get it online this weekend, since the North American debut of the car is next Thursday, in Montreal. We'll likely announce the URL this weekend.

(You can probably guess the URL, but if you go there it's obvious it's not quite ready to go yet!)
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It's no where near as horrible looking as some say. Not as sharp looking as a new Fit or Prius, but not so ugly you'd be embarrassed to drive it.

As for the CVT only deal, I suspect this has to do with aggressive use of stop start as it is not compatible with "normal" stick drivers. We hypermiling EOCing freaks are unfortunately a rare breed.

It would be nice to see someone market a vehicle for us. If I could pick one it would be a 6 speed 3 cylinder 1L Fit with manual steering/brakes and a shifter mounted ignition CO switch.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #45 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Well, the Mirage apparently has electric assisted steering, so that mod is a simple fuse removal. (Or switch with a high-current relay circuit).

And even without engine-off stuff, I still feel the manual will kick urban butt vs. the CVT: neutral coasting (engine-on), short shifting into top gear cruising, and deceleration fuel cut-off rather than light braking do wonders for economy. All things you may not be able to do easily or at all with the CVT. Even high load/low RPM pulse & engine-on gliding to the next transition is something you can easily do with a manual.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 01-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yes, the CVT can be beat.....by a hypermiler with good technique. The thing is, with a CVT and proper electronic controls, much of that hypermiling technique can be reproduced by a normal driver.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #47 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
Yes, the CVT can be beat.....by a hypermiler with good technique. The thing is, with a CVT and proper electronic controls, much of that hypermiling technique can be reproduced by a normal driver.
I don't agree.

The skilled hypermiler gains the most during the slowdown procedure - not using the brakes when there is (or soon to be) a red light ahead. It's all about driving as if you're brakes don't work. Only a hybrid can partially mask the "slowing down sins".

My brother in law has a Lancer with a CVT. While it may accelerate relatively efficiently, his mileage is horrible because he accelerates until he needs to stop and then piles on the brakes.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #48 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thats great that there will be a forum for these cars Been looking for one evan other mitsubishi forums etc don't have any info on them. I have been very interested in these cars since i found out about them some 12 mounths ago. Seems like i have been waiting for ages for this car to be released here in Australia. I was a little dissapointed when they announced the price here at $12990 + on road cost and that brings the price up to around $15000 for the basic manual version. Then about 3 weeks latter they droped the price to $12990 drive away at least for the first few weeks of sales and thats were abouts i thought they should have priced the car.

Maybe they will keep the lower price for a longer time as there are other cheaper cars here that they have to compete againts like the Suzuki Alto 1 liter 3 cylinder at $11990 drive away.

Cheers Jamie
Old 01-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I have neutral coasted in CVT cars for over 40k miles. They also accelerate at a constant engine RPM which you can choose with the accelerator pedal and maintain best BSFC constantly (more efficiently than a manual). They have wider ratio ranges than manuals or other autos. I neutral coasted my 1st gen Insight to drain the battery and then used engine braking to recharge it. The torque converter in the Altima was locked up before you cleared the intersection at 12 MPH. It unlocked in neutral to give you a seamless reengagement at 70 MPH, and DFCOed well down to very low speeds since it could "downshift" to even a greater ratio than any manual with no driver effort except to leave it into gear.

In the Insight decelerating in gear meant the engine RPM could be higher for better battery charging when you got caught needing to stop quickly.

I have shifted every auto equipped car I have owned into gear as high as 80 MPH without a problem. I even used neutral coasting to make the battery light come on in the 02 Insight when I knew it was getting very weak so I could get a new battery under warranty. Use the battery on acceleration and coast in neutral to avoid any recharging.

68 MPG in the CVT Insight without lean burn for 30k miles and 70 on one road trip of over 550 miles in one day.

When they get transmissions right then you will see cars that are much harder to hypermile to crazy over EPA percentages. Those percentages are a testament to poor design of the vehicle in the first place.

I would not even consider engine off coasting in any CVT or other type auto transmission, even the Ford automated manual 6 speed. You could do some severe damage and the dealer will know what you did by information stored in the cpu and could deny you any warranty coverage.

I would advise anyone who has not driven a CVT equipped car to try it before you disparage them. They are a real alternative to conventional autos, and I don't think a negative, somewhat elitist, attitude towards the vast majority of people who, for whatever reason, choose to drive a self shifting car, should be discouraged from driving for best economy.

regards
Mech
Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #50 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I just found this vid on utube from i think he said Platinum Mitsubishi Calgary
and it shows a manual mirage and says epa rated 70mpg.

Reply  Post New Thread