Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #181 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So a little advice. I am averaging 34-40 mpg right now. If the IACV is not working or rather if it is incorrect, the ecu will not go into lean burn after detecting this. So ensure you have the right IAVC or else your mileage will be rubbish.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #182 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

finished the project?
Old 08-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #183 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I did. Have not had a chance to do the write up. But there are videos on my youtube page that I plan on editing. 88HF has a couple of projects going on right now.
http://www.youtube.com/tenoki
Old 08-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #184 (permalink)
EcoModder!

ratatouli - '01 honda insight
Hey shorty boy, you should get some low rolling resistance tires and see how that helps your mileage. I picked up a set of honda insight wheels I plan to use on my project. Eventually it will get done... Got some vi-rs seat covers in last week. They look much better in person than in pictures. I asked a guy in asia who was auctioning the seats if he could remove the covers to save me on shipping and he did, and he took less than asking price.

If anyone knows someone that needs b13 sentra se-r stuff I'm parting one. I have hood, doors, fenders, trunk lid with spoiler, gauge cluster, sr20de ecu, and low mileage japanese sr20 motor, se-r rims, sunroof glass, everything is painted this strange grey(not primer) but in really good shape. Also have the rear glass triangles, power mirrors, brakes I installed brand new calipers, pads with 250 miles on them. Thought I had the rear window until it shattered everywhere (DOH!) We've been having the car sitting for awhile and just too many cars so I started taking it apart. Just a shell now.

Sorry to hear about the IAVC problem... sounds like its time to sort that out. Lean burn makes a huge difference in the insight so I'm sure its the same case with the z7. I guess what it really seems to do is help average your stop and go up to your non lean burn cruise mpg. For instance the insight can do 100mpg in lean burn but that really only helps to bring up overall mileage to the non lean burn cruise mileage which is somewhere around 70mpg. Have you taken any road trips? I recently made a 4 hour drive @ 84mpg in the insight. Over 140 miles @ 95mpg.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #185 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Road Trips.

88HF,

Yeah, I have made one long road trip (~258mi round trip) recently. I had to drive From Lemoore CA to the grapevine and back. I got 54 mpg there and about 57 back. I still have the busted IACV but I was able to trick the car into going in lean burn mode. @ 65 mph I cruise at ~ 2000RPM. If the IACV was fixed, then the car would get much better mpg since it is still struggling to breath at such a now rpm. When driving in never go over ~34% throttle and honestly i am cruising at a little over 7.

I went to the junk yard to pull an IACV from an Accord or Integra but they were all automatics so that did not help me. Autozone wants 172USD for a new one. Trying to find a working one on the cheap. The one from my HF engine is the plunger type (not floating valve) so it also does not register with the ECU correctly.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:10 PM   #186 (permalink)
EcoModder!

54-57 mpg cruising at 70? That would seem pretty good. Slowing down to 60 or upper 50's mph should help mpg a lot. Very interesting information if I read you correctly.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:01 AM   #187 (permalink)
EcoModder!

Seats... I have these seat covers... thinking of having them put over the original modified seats.

interior with hx cluster... vti cluster not going in until everything is ready for it don't want to break it.

Insight wheels!

Last edited by 88hf; 08-30-2011 at 12:54 AM..
Old 08-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #188 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I drive between 55 and 65 MPH. I rarely go above 70 unless it is the speed limit. I am a granny driver.

Like the seats. That dash looks good, but the console area is a little out of place IMO. good to see that you are working on it again though. I have been looking for insight rims/wheels but cannot find any. I want to downgrade to 14" rims but the insight has 13". I have 15" somewhat low profiles (195 50 15R). It is the overall stock diameter with a little bit wider footprint. Before the swap, I was still getting ~ 45mpg but an HF engine on its last leg.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:12 PM   #189 (permalink)
EcoModder!

The insight wheels are 14's. Brent on ebay selling as "the flamboyant seller" sold them to me on ebay. If you look up "the flamboyant seller" on google and find his ebay store he usually has 70-80 insight related items. He had told me the week before I bought them that he rarely has any... but I imagine he bought another insight that next week and had 4 good wheels which I acted upon quickly. About the seats... I opted against buying the entire vti seats because shipping was so high (overseas). I had already tried fitting some 99 si seats to the crx but even cutting and bending the tabs on the rails had not satisfied me to the height. My head was still rubbing so I ended up creating hybrid seats using the original seat bottoms and integra seat backs (just the cushion over the crx frame) and I plan to have the vti covers fitted or perhaps rather just have the pattern worked into the center of the reupholstered seats. Also, the headrests from the vti or 99 si slide into the hf seat back frame just have to puncture the integra foam to get it there.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:33 PM   #190 (permalink)
EcoModder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty_boy View Post
I drive between 55 and 65 MPH. I rarely go above 70 unless it is the speed limit. I am a granny driver.
Oh well, i was hoping you were driving 70. I got that same mileage with the original motor on a trip to florida and back once. But, my g/f says I was doing 45 part of the way and I was using the supermid to monitor fuel consumption.

Quote:
That dash looks good
dash is from a 99 si, Not sure if I will keep the glovebox or have it without because it interferes with the stock speaker placement(it will clear the door but cover the speaker). It will also take a lot of work if I want the a/c - heat - or any kind of fan working with this arrangement. Recently I've been thinking about trying to hybridize the insight fan/ a/c into here. Don't think there is enough room for the 99 stuff under there.

Quote:
but the console area is a little out of place IMO.
It is out of place. The dash bottom is tilted out slightly from its normal placement which makes that plastic under the a/c controls dive straight back. Its what was necessary to make it fit. The arm rest is a little far back but I sit far back anyway. Couldn't fit the plastics under the steering column for the 99 either way too tall and makes it where you can't see the pedals. Overall I think its workable and plan to go with pretty much how it is here.

Reply  Post New Thread