Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #161 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rusty crusty trusty - '94 Honda Civic Cx
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)
Yes page 13 that cat looks totally plugged up spend 10 and buy a vacuum gauge for the toolbox hook it up and it will tell yOu your cat is plugged. Now some people not me would tell you hint hint to take a drill a screwdriver whatever and knock that honeycomb out of there you do well my cat is hollowed out. Take out 02 and go through there or um bolt the whole thing and have at it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #162 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Im really thinking of gutting the cat.i live in indiana so they dont care about straight pipes and such.

I seafoamed the vacuumline reallly well today used half a bottle.slowly poured.then pored a lot til it stalled. Waited half an hour. started it up blew a lotttttt of smoke out.quite a bit out of the exhaust manifold.going to get a 40$ full gasket kit online later its not a big deal now i dont think.

So any negative effects i shud be aware of guttimg the cat converter?

Tax time is very near so i plan on trans and clutch very soon with lots of pics.

Also if taking out the fuel injectors im worried one of them might be cracked. Whats the best oem replacement fuel injectors for the d15z1? Im having quite trouble finding them
Old 02-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #163 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

still no luck at all with finding a vx transmission for a decent price. beeing calling around and their all 300+ with 120k+ on them. ordered the oem exedy clutch on the bright side and will order the new set of oem injectors after i can find the transmission.if i can find it
Old 02-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #164 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I paid 300 for a CX (same gearing as the VX) transmission with 91,000 on it. And that was talking him down from 399. Keep looking and trying. But 300 seems like the market price right now for one with miles this low.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #165 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

What about getting a rebuilt one online? Decent websites?
im looking at synchrotech-transmissions.com and the one thing that im worried about along with any of the other rebuilt websites is if they would take the transmission i have now as a core exchange even tho its not a vx transmission.

Last edited by RatherDashing; 02-07-2013 at 10:27 PM..
Old 02-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #166 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

So now im looking into the new rebuilt transmission with shipping and core exchange at 750.but for a little bit more wud it be possible to get an engine and trans from japan just for a few 100 more? Iv been reading and saw a d15b vtec e engine and trans and with shipping it wud be almost the same maybe a 100 or so more.wud that be able to work? I wud then sell the bad trans i got to a remanufacturing company and maybe do a rebuild if necessary/resell my current engine.use some of the parts i replaced on it.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #167 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
I've wondered the same thing I don't know what the final drive was on there vetec e trans find out. Syncromesh are sweet ive looked. There is a sweet guy in cinci. But that's still far from you. Any small bearing tranny lx dx is the same gear sets it's the final drive that's different. See if yOu can do some serious googleing and please report back. I so wish I woul have got the 50$ one in the u pull it yard. Long gone.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #168 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Yeah.i was looking to see if i cud get a combo of the d15z1 and trans from japan since that seems like it wud be just a few 100 more.but i cant find any.and i dont think they made any over there if im not mistaken.i think ill save up a little more and get the trans from syncrotech for 750 which includes shipping.already bought exedy clutch.just the other day another gap appeared in the resonator pipe B system and now car is very loud.not sure if this wud effect the hesitation while crusing and little acceleration.if not im almost certain its the fuel injectors.either way hesitation is getting gradually worse and bearring is getting louder.and sometimes hard to shift into 1st.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #169 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

So plan still is to replace the transmission. But now im wondering when i shud replace it.theres a big hole in the exhaust on resonator pipe b.car is quite loud at the moment.the pipe online is about 100$. The leak is after the o2 sensor and cat converter but wud it still cause my hesitation at cruising speed/light acceleration studdering?

My mpg is dropping lower and lower.one of the fuel injectors has black residue on the outside.

Ran seafoam thru the air system again a week ago still no change.

This problem only occurs after warm up tho.drives fine when cold.

Im hoping its not the cat converter and maybe the map sensor.

Just wondering what routes i shud take first need some opinions.

Is taking the cat converter out hard?

Just the fact that im losing mpg and tranny still grinding not sure what i shud tackle
Trans from syncrotech is 750 with shipping and core exchange.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #170 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Take out the 02 and look again. That cat is plugged. I would hollow it out or get another set up. From a lx or dx. Then you can get a cheep cat and the manifold won't crack again.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
civic vx, honda