Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #171 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Iv never hollowed out a cat before.and taking off the one on the crx was different.
How hard is it to take this one off and gut it? And what all do i need? I might wake up early tmmrow and try that since the weather is nice.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #172 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The manifold looked ok.didnt see the down the middle crack like most of the normal pics iv seen.i think i might need to do an exhaust gasket as well.when i seafoam the intake a decent amount of smoke comes from that area.i dont wanna redo the exhaust too much want to keep as much originality as possible.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #173 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rusty crusty trusty - '94 Honda Civic Cx
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)
Soak the crap out of the nuts. Possibly heat them up. Go slow it's 4 up top and 3 or 4 on the bottom. Just beat it or drill it it will chip and break away. I've never done it buy I've had to take plugged ones off coustomers cars before. a propane torch or getting the car warm all can help. Sometimes they come loose and sometimes. Well good luck.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #174 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Well.i remembered that when i seafoamed the car a lot of smoke came out the exhaust manifold.i took off the o2 sensor and manifold and the top filter for cat converter looked clean.

Only issue is when bolting it back up i stripped one of the many front bolts.

Also replaced the water outlet gasket and stripped that screw.worst luck ever.even used the brand new torque wrench.

Did another air intake seafoam treatment and it seems to runa lot better.i just had a decent hole in that pipe so car filled up with smoke from that area.theres still a slight hesitation. not as bad.could that exhaust hole do it? Its quite loud and noticeable.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:27 PM   #175 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Depending on where the leak is the 02 cold be reading it. That could be problem.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #176 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Its after the 02 and after the cat converter in resonator pipe b.i cud get a new pipe for 100. Just not sure if thats it.but def made a difference.my worry now is the stripped bolt for the water outlet.i put a new gasket in it cuz the old one was soo worn away.i broke one of the bolts that holds it in right in half.so its leaking coolant. Going to order a new gasket and have the shop get the broken bolt part out.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #177 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Drill and tap go slow. Patience. If the leak is that far away then it's not the problem.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #178 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty94cx View Post
Drill and tap go slow. Patience. If the leak is that far away then it's not the problem.
I dont think i have a drill for doing it.shop does it for me cheap plus i get a discount them from my work place since were partnered with them.ill probably have them fix the stripped bolt on the throttle body for the map sensor.hesitation is still bad after warm up while cruising. If its not from the hole in the exhaust/ map sensor/ or fuel injectors idk what it is.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #179 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Hook up the vacuum gauge. Bad cat lazy 02. My money is on that.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #180 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

the hole in the exhaust was getting way to annoyingly loud. got the pipe b resonator from cat to muffler for 100 on ebay. had to get a new muffler since the one on it was the wrong one. only 40 bucks for the oem muffler at a local shop. not bad at all. runs MUCH quieter now.

Also while I had a few hours before work i still looked at what else i could do to figure out the issue. I know it could be the cat but i need to get a decent car jack. the one i have is pretty much going bad.

recleaned out the egr valve curious to know if its supposed to be pretty hard pressure to move it up and down. new one is quite expensive but i really dont think thats the issue thats just outa of curiosity.

one of my buddies said to take the fuel rail out and check the fuel injectors. i did just that and the injector tips themselves wernt too bad. but LOTS of black gunky crud on inside of injector areas where they are inserted to the engine. I know theres a technical term for that area but dang it was bad. had to get new o rings for the injectors. sad news is in order to clean the gunk out i had to take the ones out 2 of them snapped one fell into engine bay sumwhere.also a fuel pipe insulator fell down in there too. but had to clean that gunk out did it the best i could. fuel injectors still looked good didnt look cracked. had to go get the o ring kits for them since i cudnt just get ea o ring individualy so taht was about 40 bucks.

going to re hook it all back up tommrow put all the seals back on full tank of gas with techron and see if maybe this was the case.

i tried my best with the map sensor but im going to have to take it to a shop to get it off. its stripped on there good. my drill bits are dull. i figure might as well get it on there since iv had the replacement sitting around

AND if thats all not the case i shall definitely try and remove the pipe underneath the cat converter to take a good look. from the top after i replaced the exhaust manifold gasket which was very bad. the cat converter looked clean. none of the filter areas was clogged. i shook it a little too and didnt hear anything rattling around like the bad one in the previous crx.

all in all its coming a long. im holding off on the new transmission from syncrotech since the hesitation problem has been getting pretty bad and milage dropping as well

heres a pic of what the dirty area looked like. i know its not from mine but mine looked like those if not worse in all 4 of them

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h2...elInjector.jpg

Last edited by RatherDashing; 02-24-2013 at 12:07 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
civic vx, honda