Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #81 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I lowered my first vx and didn't see any improvement in mileage the lowering suspension did however cause a rougher ride and seemed to wear out other parts of my suspension causing me to replace the spend about $600 putting it back to stock height, LRR tires do help, 45 to 50psi in the tires helps too, my next plan is light weight smooth wheels like the first generation Honda Insight used, there are a bunch of low rolling resistance tires in 14" sizes that would fit at that point where there are very few 13" options.
Other things that work:
Changing your transmission fluid (it takes motor oil or Honda MTF, NOT GL5 GEAR OIL, unless you like replacing transmissions!) I tend to use 0w30 synthetic motor oil in both the transmission and engine, it makes the transmission shift super smoothly and helps the engine with cold starting.
NGK v-power spark plugs are OEM and $10 for a set, they also work great, much better then expensive spark plugs, I have sets of 4 different brands of "high end" spark plugs that made my VX run poorly, the worst were the Bosch +4 and the Pulstar pulse plugs.
what brand of 0w-30 do u use?
im looking for it online and it all looks really expensive

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #82 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rusty crusty trusty - '94 Honda Civic Cx
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)
Just buy the Honda mtf. Old motor oil had additives that are no longer present. Also I have read that some people put some ATF in there for a few miles to help clean out some of the crud. Good luck
Old 12-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #83 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty94cx View Post
Just buy the Honda mtf. Old motor oil had additives that are no longer present. Also I have read that some people put some ATF in there for a few miles to help clean out some of the crud. Good luck
previous owner has been using 5w-30 in the trans for idk how long so im definetely gunna fix that with the seal as well

im curious about the oil for the engine. it had regular 5w-30 in it before and i replaced it with 5w-30 full synthetic this oil change

Last edited by RatherDashing; 12-19-2012 at 10:26 PM..
Old 12-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #84 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherDashing View Post
what brand of 0w-30 do u use?
im looking for it online and it all looks really expensive
My transmission currently has AmsOil in it, but it's around $10 per quart, Mobil just started selling 0W30 in my area for around $5.50 per quart and that is what I just put in my engine, I haven't used the Honda MTF but I have noticed easier shifting with the 0W30 in the transmission.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #85 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
My transmission currently has AmsOil in it, but it's around $10 per quart, Mobil just started selling 0W30 in my area for around $5.50 per quart and that is what I just put in my engine, I haven't used the Honda MTF but I have noticed easier shifting with the 0W30 in the transmission.
Nvm.found it at wal mart for like 6.67 a qt

Last edited by RatherDashing; 12-19-2012 at 11:06 PM..
Old 12-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #86 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

so i cleaned out the iacv again today.and forgot to mention that its got two bolts that bolts it on and iv had it bolted on by one bolt. i had another bolt that was threaded all the way thru holding it in as well. i noticed that 2 filter holes might be off by just a hairline.im hoping this is the problem with the idle because i sprayed the iacv again good and it still looked clean. hoping the honda dealership has one available
Old 12-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #87 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rusty crusty trusty - '94 Honda Civic Cx
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)
Look online majestic Honda. The are the cheapest dealer. Be prepared for sticker shock. See if it interchanges with any other models. It will increase your chances of finding a used good one. Just buy a vacuum gauge. It will tell you if you have a leak and or bad valves. Or anything. It you might be wasting rime and money. Unplug it and see if it changes.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #88 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

WOW.isnt even enough to explain this.so i had tonight off.cracked open a four loko beverage and really checked out the throttle body.took it completely off and cleaned the other side of throttle plate all of it.then took off the tps and cleaned the inside of that area out in the throttle body.put the throttle body back on and had trouble with the throttle cable putting it on.so loosened it up to get it back on the tightened it back on.so there wasnt much slack.actually ended up being quite a bit tighter then it was before.waited awhile of course to make sure i was ok to drove even tho i wasnt too bad.took it round the block.rpms drop right away after shifting. no pause at all in the rpms. now heres the actual issue i finally discovered

only difference is i started driving it around today and it started acting funny.i first noticed when giving it gas slowly. it would idle up and down very fast and when enough gas was given it would start moving and rpms would go up. then it started getting worse and was extremely jumpy and twitchy with the gas pedal. i loosened the throttle cable a little thinking it was too tight and it still somewhat acted up

iv been paying a lot of attention to the tps sensor and trying to figure out how to calibrate it. i thought maybe it was because i was driving and the little notch in the tps sensor wasnt aligned right with the throttle body. i made sure it was realigned again and drove it around and the rpm issue came right back.

So i got the voltage on the tps finally.at open throttle i got the voltage right and adjusted it.biggest issue is the throttle stop screw.the bottom part where u can turn it with an alan wrench is stripped.it possible to just shave down the top of the screw? the volatge at closed yhrottle is 1.09

Last edited by RatherDashing; 12-23-2012 at 04:24 PM..
Old 12-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #89 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

so now im looking at trying replace the throttle body and am having a lot of confusion with this. especially finding the right measurement for the right size throttle body and everything. and all i can find online is aftermarket ones in all different sizes.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #90 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherDashing View Post
so now im looking at trying replace the throttle body and am having a lot of confusion with this. especially finding the right measurement for the right size throttle body and everything. and all i can find online is aftermarket ones in all different sizes.
Visit the Majestic Honda site for part numbers and 3D line drawings of the various parts: Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store

james

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
civic vx, honda