Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2023, 08:11 PM   #1341 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Try 'Great Balls of Fire', the movie about Jerry Lee Lewis[RIP] & Myra Gale Brown. In the scene under the bridge, they're freaked out about the Hydrogen Bomb. Wynona Rider's character says "I don't even know what [h]ydrgeon is!"

Before I got my car (1960) I drove my father's RV through Salem drive-ins with the doors slid back and the Buick radio bolted to the roof on.

I have no idea why I didn't put a third headlight on that.???

edit:
Quote:
Cruising to the burger joint in a car that will become a classic
In one part of rural Ore., the local high school cars were the bullet-nosed Studebaker, a 1940 Ford 2-door sedan with flames, '55 Chevy 2-door post and the two brothers with matching '39 Chevys. My friend's father had a black 1957 Buick hardtop (the one with the three-piece back window). It went from Monmouth to Rickreall at 120MPH. I know because I was there.

Last edited by freebeard; 05-31-2023 at 08:21 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-31-2023, 08:22 PM   #1342 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Before I got my car (1960) I drove my father's RV through Salem drive-iins with the doors slid back and the Buick radio bolted to the roof on.
I'm still old enough to remember the Salem drive-in where the Santiam 11-plex is currently located. Last time I went, the double-feature was "Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead" and "Last Action Hero".

Too bad streaming killed those businesses. Guess it's up to me to construct a neighborhood movie in the park situation. Of course, I'd be tempted to run the old classics, like the original Little Mermaid, and not the new one .

Come to think of it, there's a maple tree that might facilitate hanging a screen, and a hill steep enough that everyone would be able to see. I'll have to scout this tonight.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (06-01-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 08:50 PM   #1343 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joggernot View Post
I commuted by motorcycle year-round for 15 years with no problem. Only stopped because of a leg that can no longer hold up a bigger motorcycle.
Once in a while I see folks commuting on Harleys or other big motorcycles, yet in my country it's way more common to see small ones being used strictly as a commuter or as a working tool.

BTW notice the improvised fuel gauge in a Sportster that I spotted recently

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
freebeard (05-31-2023), Joggernot (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 07:53 AM   #1344 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Cruisin' in the early 60's

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Sounds about right to me. Often wonder what being a teen during that time frame would have been like. Cruising to the burger joint in a car that will become a classic sounds like the bees' knees.
Ok, I'm old enough...scene is Pueblo, CO...Had a white over red '59 Chevy that we used to "drag Main" and go to the "Dairy Delight" to meet our friends. Best was going to a secluded place by the Arkansas River for bonfires and beer. Yes, this was fun. No seatbelts and bench seats. '59 Chevy could hold a lot of friends. Later had a white over yellow '55 Chevy to start at a small college. Totaled it when the bridge turned and I didn't. Oh well. As for bees' knees...I think that was back in the 20s and 30s.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joggernot For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 09:59 AM   #1345 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Those cars weren't classics yet back then. They were popular, old parents cars that were considered to be kinda past their prime and suitable to be ruined by wasteful, rude, not respectful children. 57 chevy were sort of common in the Belair configuration and IIRC, recieved the eye roll when the keys were passed along. 49 mercs were only fit to be driven by immigrants. Bugs were popular but only for cheapskates or die hard DIY, later on, hippie freaks that wouldn't mow the lawn (but for the same reason).

How many packards do you see today, or hudsons? How about old rolls royce? 37 dodge or '50 buicks with the chrome toothy front end and crap brakes?

freebeard: don't help with lots of pictures.
redpoint5 (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 11:53 AM   #1346 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
As for bees' knees...I think that was back in the 20s and 30s.
Quote:
freebeard: don't help with lots of pictures.
Every decade has it's good and bad points (Hydrogen bombs), I like Sallie Ford's overview;

Old 06-02-2023, 03:30 AM   #1347 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
How many packards do you see today, or hudsons? How about old rolls royce? 37 dodge or '50 buicks with the chrome toothy front end and crap brakes?
Last time I saw a Packard it was a '42 Clipper. Saying I was impressed would be an understatement... I remember seeing a Hudson around 4 years ago near the place where I saw the Packard. When you say old Rolls-Royce, I guess older than those from the '70s that I see once in a while. When it comes to Dodges, once in a while I still see a few from the '30s to the '50s more often fitted with the flathead-six engine, and a few weeks ago I saw a '50 Buick. None of those so usual to see as they were when my grandparents came to my hometown when my father was a kid, and after '76 many were either scrapped due to a lack of replacement parts or adapted with parts from Brazilian-made cars just to keep running until they were in so much disrepair it was not deemed easy enough to restore...
Old 06-09-2023, 01:14 AM   #1348 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

As regards #1322, I haven't learned anything about the steering wheel, but this reviewer's #1 Like is the motorcycle controls.

Where do the controls go with a wheel?

Old 06-09-2023, 01:23 AM   #1349 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
As regards
Where do the controls go with a wheel?
I maintain controls should be on the steering wheel because hands and fingers are more precise than legs and feet.

Throttle and brake controls could be on a steering wheel just as easily as motorcycle handlebars.

Throttle on my high school electric car was a shaped wooden dowel held between the index and middle fingers on the side to side steering mechanism. That dowel was attached to a string that connected to a spring-loaded potentiometer. Finger control of throttle was precise, meanwhile feet bounced around as the car encountered the "features" of the track.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 06-09-2023, 10:17 AM   #1350 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
I recall that you sometimes have to let go of the steering wheel when making turns. On a 1:1 ratio set up yes you can put controls there.