Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #71 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I've gone to bonneville the past 3 years as spectator. A cot or sleeping pad or air mattress under the stars is plenty. There really are not any bugs, and NEVER rain. A tent is unneeded.

However, an easy - up for the day is MANDATORY as well as a hat, sunglasses, water, and sunscreen.

Could I do the 130 club in a homebuilt motorcycle trike thing?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #72 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,655 Posts
130 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
I've gone to bonneville the past 3 years as spectator. A cot or sleeping pad or air mattress under the stars is plenty. There really are not any bugs, and NEVER rain. A tent is unneeded.

However, an easy - up for the day is MANDATORY as well as a hat, sunglasses, water, and sunscreen.

Could I do the 130 club in a homebuilt motorcycle trike thing?
USFRA's website,as metromizer has mentioned, can help with data on that.
They're expecting 'street' cars in this class,so she's got to be registered,insured,and make it through tech inspection.She'll need lap and shoulder belts (minimum),H-rated tires,metal valve stems,a driveline loop if she has a driveshaft,late model Snell Approved helmet with full face shield,and clothing already mentioned.
An on board fire extinguisher is no longer necessary,but not a bad idea.
You'll need some sort of speed indicating instrument,as they may require a handling run at a steady 100 mph.
Battery hold down must be steel.
You might want to contact the tach guys and explain what you're up to,and they'll let you know if any special will be required for the trike.They want you safe 'n will know what to do.
Right now,USFRA membership and 130 club fees are $200.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,655 Posts
going

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
So where is this effort at, now. How many people are going?
I'm paid up,but no guarantee that I'll make it.
It didn't happen last year or year before.Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #74 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
Doug- I've emailed the tech people at the USFRA and they were very helpful.

I'm paid up for the membership, but not the runs themselves. I'm assuming that can be handled at the track.

The SMCC rally is in the bag, and the FrankenJetta took it kinda hard, engine wise. Looking like incentive for the diesel swap. I have no delusions about reaching 130 in a mile, gas or diesel, but this is going to be an experience of a lifetime. If I can make the whole run on veggie oil, that would be the icing on the cake. If I wind up using gasoline, I know I can get 50mpg@65mph on cruise so that will help. June will be the heavy modding and starting to line up stops on the way with the remaining time spent working out bugs and finishing planning. I want to have at least two short shakedown trips, 500-600 miles, before the big one.

Looking for ideas and driveways for meet ups on the way. Nerdboy came up with a couple locations to shoot for and I'll be getting more of an idea of times and routing as time gets shorter.

TangoCharlie- offer still good for the rest stop?

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Old 06-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
USFRA's website,as metromizer has mentioned, You'll need some sort of speed indicating instrument,as they may require a handling run at a steady 100 mph.
I almost forgot about that...
Racing out on the salt is unlike the highway or other racetracks, you have little reference to give you a sense of speed. The track is maybe 40 yards wide, and blinding white.

The speedometer in the VW I was driving tops out at 80mph, I used a suction cup mounted GPS to keep my first pass, the mandatory 'handling and check out pass' to just a hair under 100mph. The car was capable of enough speed to get me kicked off of short course for USFRA 130mph Club, their rules say you can't exceed 140. Because of that, the GPS was invaluable in keeping me at 138 during both my 130mph Club Qualifying passes.

Rain: Ummmm... although it doesn't happen very often, we got rained on last year on Friday night and Saturday, enough rain to semi-flood the pits and course with 3 inches or more of water, ending the event half a day early.

If you've never been, GO! If you've already been, you'll be back
The Following User Says Thank You to metromizer For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #76 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
TangoCharlie- offer still good for the rest stop?
Early September, right? Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem.
JethroBodine (06-13-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #77 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Thanks TC.

Looks like I'm going to be getting a "drop-in" 1.6na diesel tomorrow. Just have to pick it up. That means, among other things, that this fill up on the FrankenJetta will be the last gasoline fill of her life. I'm going to start stripping out the engine as soon as I can, once I have the engine in hand. I will fill up to get the final mpg entry and then transfer the gas to my Pathfinder. I "think" I have all the components that I need and will make sure to leave room for the veggie tank. Maybe I can set the record for fastest diesel Jetta. What I'd really like is making the whole trip above 60mpg and as much veg as possible.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
The Following User Says Thank You to JethroBodine For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #78 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

GTI TDI - '91 Volkswagen Golf GTI
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 61.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Thanks TC.

Looks like I'm going to be getting a "drop-in" 1.6na diesel tomorrow. Just have to pick it up. That means, among other things, that this fill up on the FrankenJetta will be the last gasoline fill of her life. I'm going to start stripping out the engine as soon as I can, once I have the engine in hand. I will fill up to get the final mpg entry and then transfer the gas to my Pathfinder. I "think" I have all the components that I need and will make sure to leave room for the veggie tank. Maybe I can set the record for fastest diesel Jetta. What I'd really like is making the whole trip above 60mpg and as much veg as possible.

I can make a whole trip with my diesel MKII above 60 MPG no problem - and I have no aero mods! My friend with his bone-stock 1.6 NA diesel gets 52mpg everywhere - and he drives it like he stole it. We took it on a trip once and it got 58MPG doing 70 the whole way. I bet you can do the whole trip above 70MPG or even 80 if you get it just right. Maybe I will make the trip out to see your Jetta, it's only 9 hours drive for me.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #79 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Frankencar- 70 would be awesome, 80 even better. Please do come if you can. I'd like to check out one of your 4x4 VWs, but they might not get as good mileage.

Got the engine and am going to start rip-and-tearing Saturday morning. I'd like to have the diesel in place by Monday morning. Running by next weekend. We'll see.

Trip stuff- From my place, it's about 2500 miles. I'll be leaving Sep. 2(Sunday) and if I average about 400 miles a day, I'll arrive on Friday, late. TC's place is about 800 miles away. Doable in one day, but ball busting, and no quality time for visiting, so I'm looking for a stopping point along the way for Sunday night and catch TC on Monday night. I'm going to start a google map of the route and perspective stops. If there is anyone who wants to meet on the way just to say "Hi", let me know. Plenty of planning time...for now.

Also, Friday afternoon/evening, if possible, we could pick a spot to gather and caravan in together. Anyone who knows the area?

Quote:
Boat tail project
Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #80 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

GTI TDI - '91 Volkswagen Golf GTI
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 61.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Frankencar- 70 would be awesome, 80 even better. Please do come if you can. I'd like to check out one of your 4x4 VWs, but they might not get as good mileage.

Got the engine and am going to start rip-and-tearing Saturday morning. I'd like to have the diesel in place by Monday morning. Running by next weekend. We'll see....
I would come in the GTI as it gets great MPG & would be fun to take for a rip down the strip at 130+ I really should go - Not every day you get to see a MKII that aero-modded!

And you can have that in an running in a weekend. My TDI was done in 3 days (Fri night-Sunday night) and it's got a ton of wiring + cable shift trans + Hydro clutch... I bet you could do it all Saturday! Here is my 3-day swap.

91 VW Golf MK2 GTI gets a TDI Engine Swap Time Lapse - YouTube

Reply  Post New Thread