Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #31 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

Mo' Mon-nay! - '00 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 52.26 mpg (US)

Carbon Silver - '06 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.2 mpg (US)
yeah get the basic maintenance done first. i'm past that point thankfully. i expect the MPG differences to be dramatic between the two.... as the FED ecu it is so easy to get it in, and keep it in lean burn - so automatically it would win - at least for speeds above 65mph that is. (since lean burn isnt really reliable below 65mph). even under the best circumstances, i couldnt ever get my CA ecu to really get into, and stay into lean burn. where as the FED ecu i can literally control it with how much i push on the pedal, a noob could do it. there is no fight, there is no battle to get into lean burn.

with the FED ecu, I can be flooring it up a hill, then quickly let off back to very low throttle for just a moment or two (14% TPS) - drop into lean burn, almost as easily as flipping a switch - then gradually reapply throttle to as much as 90% engine load and 32% TPS... its pretty sweet when its all working right. try that on a CA ecu

i'm very curious as to which is better for speeds like 58 to 60mph.

2006 Honda Insight
MIMA, FAS, no passenger sideview mirror, race style drivers mirror, front and rear underbody aero, temporary front air dam
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,551 Posts
What exactly cues the ECU to enter lean burn? Is it possible to safely add a lean burn mode to a non-vx/hx? How might you implement it?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #33 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyCorky View Post
... (since lean burn isnt really reliable below 65 mph) ...
Nice work changing over to the Fed computer!

Run three tanks using Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) in your fuel and I predict you'll say there IS reliable lean burn well below 65 mph. It can take some time to reach full effect, thus run several tanks, not just one.

Two ounces per 10 gal fuel. First time, use the tank's full 12 gal capacity for your calcs. After that, use a good estimate of the amount of fuel you will put in. Add MMO before adding fuel so it will be mixed well. I've had good results though, just adding it any old time and driving off.

MMO bottle says to use four ounces per ten gallons fuel but my HX is happy with two. Bottle says it can also go in your oil but I only do that a couple times a year or less.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #34 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

i just got some MMO last night. added it to a gallon of gas, mixed it up real good, poured it into my *80%* full tank; that outta mix just fine... i'll keep ya all posted on how it effect lean burn at lower RPM, tho it will be awhile until i go thru 3 tanks..... thats over 1600 miles! hahahaha

oh yea side note: i added a lower air dam/deflector to my front bumper. lowers it about 4 or 5 inches. now only about 3 inches of air is getting under the car from the front. once i lower the car, it will be even less. WOW what an improvement already. freeway MPG is up from around 54mpg on my normal commute, to closer to 59mpg! ....wish i had done that mod a long time ago..... rear underbody diffuser is next....

2006 Honda Insight
MIMA, FAS, no passenger sideview mirror, race style drivers mirror, front and rear underbody aero, temporary front air dam
Old 11-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
oh yea side note: i added a lower air dam/deflector to my front bumper. lowers it about 4 or 5 inches. now only about 3 inches of air is getting under the car from the front. once i lower the car, it will be even less. WOW what an improvement already. freeway MPG is up from around 54mpg on my normal commute, to closer to 59mpg! ....wish i had done that mod a long time ago..... rear underbody diffuser is next....
Where are the pictures of the bumper modification!!!!! I probably had 4-5 inches blocked with my bumper skirt and lawn edging combo. But I removed the lawn edging when I lowered the car 2 inches. Really haven’t noticed any negative effect without having the lawn edging. I would like to block 1-2 more inches, but the edging is much larger than that and I am kinda enjoying not scrapping everywhere.

Wish I had your warm weather. My mpg has been falling to the 54-55 mark lately.

Good luck with the MMO. I have found it to be useful as well. Can’t really comment on the speed aspect of it as I have a VX transmission, but it allows lean burn at lower RPM’s which seem to the one of the limiting factor on lean burn (not speed.)
Old 11-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #36 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

i'll post picures pretty soon in my HX Aero thread:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ect-23172.html

warm weather seems to be overwith for this year; the above numbers were on 65 degree days. which i guess is 'warm' for you folks who are sitting in 3 feet of snow right now hhahahaha still amazes me how much air tempature effects MPG. i'm gonna create a warm air intake pretty soon...

2006 Honda Insight

Last edited by SpeedyCorky; 11-15-2012 at 02:52 PM..
Old 11-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
i'll post picures pretty soon in my HX Aero thread:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ect-23172.html

warm weather seems to be overwith for this year; the above numbers were on 65 degree days.
Ha! I am just hoping for a day where I am not having to use my ice scraper in the morning. 65 degree temps were what I was calling warm for us.

So where are those updated pictures?