Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Go Bruce! Are you going to go with some aero too? I could keep my civic until the next economy run (Hopefully Mike does at least one AMEC run this summer) to see if you can defeat the EX with your new mods if you want.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
@bruce, are you able to tell when in lean burn with the guino? by watching mpg or gph or something?
Well if you watch the Guino mpg like a hawk I suppose you can spot it jump, which is what it does when it goes into LB (lean burn). But you can coax it to stay in LB even on modest upgrades and other similar challenging situations, and you can only guess from the Guino whether you're in LB or not.

But of course the Guino does tell you the actual mpg very accurately. So you could make a case that you don't really need to know if it's in LB or not.

I use the ScanGauge to show LB. There's a custom X-gauge setting you can program into it that somehow derives data out of the wideband Oxy sensor. It reads 0 when in lean burn and seems to be very reliable. Also it does check out against the Guino. When you let the SG read MPG without any adjustment to it, and compare those MPG to the Guino readout. Typically, without being in LB, the Guino will read about 10% higher mpg than the SG on my Civic. When it goes into LB, the Guino reads about 30-35% higher mpg than the SG because SG's mpg calc is completely unaware of LB. It reads other engine parameters and derives fuel qty by assuming stoich ratio.

Rumors that I'm paid by the word are entirely untrue.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
Go Bruce! Are you going to go with some aero too? I could keep my civic until the next economy run (Hopefully Mike does at least one AMEC run this summer) to see if you can defeat the EX with your new mods if you want.
I dunno about defeating the p+g champ. I might try though!

Who's Mike and AMEC?? I'm interested. My wife is worried I'm going to be going to FE rallies all the time - where would she get that idea?? But if I get the monster bathroom renovation done this weekend I might be able to trade that against... I think you get the idea.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:27 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
Heh, understood. I bet that's a debt all of us with better halves need to pay. Last year it was only 3 times, this year looks to be about the same, maybe one more...that's really not too much time away from the ol' ball and chain.

Mike was the guy who got the speaking line in the discovery Canada video, and the guy with the "130 mpg" 2L Sentra. He runs AMEC (Adirondack Motor Enthusiast Club) - they are a bunch of gearheads that do a little ice racing circuit on various lakes in the Adirondacks, and they have a bunch of sweet classic cars. Mike organizes an annual fuel economy run very similar to the GGP, except with a "fill till you can see it" rule. Since it's in the Adirondacks, it will also be that much closer for you to drive to. Don't you feel lucky to live right near the premiere fuel economy runs? We sure get some nice roads out of all that tax money.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:41 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
I found myself with a 94 civic EX, and was looking at kill switches. So the "general" one basically shuts off the whole CPU? Possibly interrupting 3 shielded sensors is the alternative? Well kudos to honda on being able to limp along on less sensors, but trying to decide if that is worth it for a kill switch. Has anyone taken the sensor interrupt route on a honda?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	14074  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

F Truck - '77 Ford F100 2x4, single cab, lwb
90 day: 8.75 mpg (US)

Bombodore - '98 Holden Commodore Exec Wagon
90 day: 21.35 mpg (US)

Civic - '93 Honda Civic GL
90 day: 36.62 mpg (US)

Jim The Prius - '09 Toyota Prius
90 day: 36.66 mpg (US)
I dont know much about Hondas but one problem i found with cutting the injectors via the fuse in my commodore is that the ECU is still sending the signal so any instrumentation still thinks im using fuel when im not because the injectors are cut off further down the line

i havnt got an SG or MPGuino yet but if i do get them how can i hook them up so that they read right when i flick the killswitch?

apart from that small problem the kill is great for forced DFCO as well as just plain killing the engine, i dont have any trouble with running on or dieseling but i have a switch not a momentary button so i just flick it off till either then engine spins down to stall or i want to stop DFCO

(Posted in 2020) 2009 Prius Off Road project: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ide-38366.html

(Posted in 2012) 1977 F100 Project: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post310326
Old 11-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ok, I thought the injectors switched high side, but I see that the common lead to all the injectors is powered through the relay, so another relay (normally closed, automotive style) in that single lead that connects to all the injectors should stop them from firing without messing with much else (and depowering the fuel consumption signal to the guino at the same time).

It could be controlled by a much smaller, less intrusive, normally open pushbutton on the shifter.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

k, reread the OP,
per OBD1 ECU Pinout wire colors? - Honda-Tech
it should be the wire that is NOT brown, red, light blue, or orange... on my 94 vtec anyway. I suppose pulling injector plugs and the connecter and probing with a vom would confirm the common lead. I am guessing yellow with black stripe...

Last edited by P-hack; 11-05-2013 at 10:04 AM..
Old 11-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

fascinating, I found a plug with 8 yellow/blk wires, and a cap that gangs them all together Under the hood near the top drivers side by the firewall). I pulled the injector leads and it seems they all lead to this plug to get ganged to power. Some fancy troubleshooting interface or something, but I don't think i have to cut anything if I can fabricate 8 little spades and gang them through the NC relay.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

mystery solved, sort of. I think if I had an injector resistor box, it would plug in here. I don't so life might be slightly simpler since I just have a connector that all 8 wires together. (12 ohm injectors FYI)

That is definitely my plug. Maybe I can get a resistor box pigtail for cheap.

Reply  Post New Thread