Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 01:38 AM   #161 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

1991 RED Metro 1.0 Auto - '91 Geo Metro Lsi Auto
Team Metro
90 day: 38.28 mpg (US)

1991 3/5 2 door Blue/green - '91 Geo Metro
Last 3: 42.6 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
I've heard a loop can make the coolant bypass the radiator and cause overheating. This was on a Swift GTi race car, but the cooling system is basically the same.
I don't think this would be a problem on a Metro since it's one of those cars where coolant always circulates through the heater core, the dash controls just control the airflow. Race cars often have cooling issues for different reasons.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #162 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
I'm pretty sure in a previous post, the Heater core was left out for space reasons... Therefore no heater core to run through. Possible overheating - Imminent.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #163 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
The heater core was left out for time's sake in attempts to ready the car in time for the green grand prix. I really should hook it up along with the block heater I plan to add. The problem, just like the problem I had with the radiator is that the supply receptacle with the temp adjustment slider is on the opposite side of the firewall from where the G10 expects it to be. To make things worse, it actually points diagonally towards the passenger side front corner of the car and not straight out. The supply line from the engine is coming from the driver's side... That means I'm going to have to get a "U" or two elbows to invert the direction of that receptacle to avoid hose kinking. Not impossible, just annoying and unnecessary for getting a car roadworthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwb70
I don't think this would be a problem on a Metro since it's one of those cars where coolant always circulates through the heater core, the dash controls just control the airflow. Race cars often have cooling issues for different reasons.
Remember... we're looking at a CRX climate control system. The coolant flow to the heater core can be stopped. Whether it's advisable to ever do that given that metros don't have that option I don't know, but I'm inclined to think it will be alright.

Anyone have insight on these questions?
Quote:
Should I take the oil out now and filter it / replace it outright yet, or should I wait until more break-in occurs?
I left the tube off of my air filter... Anyone foresee that being a problem, or should I just leave it there for a WAI? I've heard metros don't like HOT air, but I haven't heard anything about warm. I'm wary of going WOT under any kind of load yet... how long should I wait for that?
Old 05-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #164 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,965 Times in 3,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
relish my time in 5th gear cruising along at 55mph at like 1000 rpm
I wish! Did you find some new final drive that none of us has heard about??
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 05-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #165 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Fruit Bat - '01 Honda Insight
Last 3: 54.26 mpg (US)

Current - '21 Subaru Impreza Wagon
90 day: 34.36 mpg (US)
No, my tachometer still thinks its looking at a 4cyl Still have the XFi trans. BTW, anyone know if my speedo is affected by this? The Geo speedo cable fit directly on to the back of the CRX cluster. I don't know exactly how it works, but something tells me it should be correct and I don't have to do anything to get it accurate. While driving along it seems reasonable...
Old 05-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #166 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Ruh-roh. I'd better try to get those heater bits in this weekend when blowers are on sale at the junkyard.

Awe golly, thanks! That's really nice. I'll be glad to pay it back or forward. Meet me in Syracuse this Friday? (I'm only half joking because I'll actually be there) I'll get you some grub. I won't have the CRXFi though because I'll be going to get more than 1 passenger. Maybe I'll try to finagle my own rear seating for the rex.. hmmm....

You don't scare me. Yet...
I don't think I'll have time on Friday, plus I'm recovering from a quadruple wisdom tooth extraction. But I'll probably be heading to Ithaca in the near future, I'll let you know when that will be. And I'll look for the axle.

The CRX had a rear seat in Japan. At least the older ones did. It might not be worth sourcing those parts, but maybe you have the threads for the seatbelts already.

I'll just have to keep trying to scare you!
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Old 05-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #167 (permalink)
Too many cars

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwb70 View Post
The heater core provides more restriction than a looped hose.
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Old 05-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #168 (permalink)
Too many cars

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
Quote:
Remember... we're looking at a CRX climate control system. The coolant flow to the heater core can be stopped. Whether it's advisable to ever do that given that metros don't have that option I don't know, but I'm inclined to think it will be alright.

Anyone have insight on these questions?
There are two possible issues with stopping the coolant flow through the heater core on a Metro engine. Not life or death issues, but not ideal either.

1. It acts as the main bypass when the thermostat is closed. You should still have the little hoses that go to the throttle body to act as a bypass. That might be enough.

2. You will lose the heat to the intake manifold when you have the climate control heat turned off.

I don't know when you should change the oil, but you'll hurt nothing by changing it too soon.

I wouldn't worry too much about the intake tube. WOT should be OK, just listen for pinging or other weird noises. Like your engine falling out!
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Old 05-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #169 (permalink)
Too many cars

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
Quote:
No, my tachometer still thinks its looking at a 4cyl Still have the XFi trans. BTW, anyone know if my speedo is affected by this? The Geo speedo cable fit directly on to the back of the CRX cluster. I don't know exactly how it works, but something tells me it should be correct and I don't have to do anything to get it accurate. While driving along it seems reasonable...
Didn't I see a GPS in your Civic at the GGP? Won't that check your speedometer accuracy? The speedo cable is driven by the differential carrier, so the final drive has no effect on the speedometer. But tire size [i]does[/] make a difference. I assume you're not using 145/80-12" tires on your CRX? The 1995+ Metros and Swifts had tires the same diameter as the CRX, so you might be better off using the speedo cable gear from one of those. I think there might be a one or two tooth difference between them. But I'd check how far off the speedo is before changing any parts.
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Old 05-27-2010, 02:40 PM   #170 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
I don't think I'll have time on Friday, plus I'm recovering from a quadruple wisdom tooth extraction. But I'll probably be heading to Ithaca in the near future, I'll let you know when that will be. And I'll look for the axle.

The CRX had a rear seat in Japan. At least the older ones did. It might not be worth sourcing those parts, but maybe you have the threads for the seatbelts already.

I'll just have to keep trying to scare you!
Nope, none of the body threads are there in the US versions. Not even the areas for the seat brackets for the fold-down backrest. If you want to install a JDM/EDM rear seat, you have to make sure you get the brackets with it, and the rear seat belts get bolted through the floor with fender washers on either side of the bolt. The rear cargo area uses all the OE locations for the rear seat, but it uses different weld-nuts in the body cavity.

Reply  Post New Thread