Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

2017 Honda Civic LX - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.92 mpg (US)
I would love to see how that works. Post pics after you have done it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-06-2009, 01:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
the look

The rule of thumb from Walter Korff,is that the grille opening be as wide as the radiator and no less than 1/4 height of the radiator,with the inlet opening at least 1-radiator core height' distance ahead of radiator,and a completely air-tight duct in between.There is a diagram of it in the Phil Knox aerodynamic photos archive.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Flying Brick - '96 Pontiac Bonneville SE
90 day: 23.57 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to QuickLTD Send a message via Yahoo to QuickLTD
Thanks for the info Aerohead. You always come through with the good stuff. I got the hood sealed internally to the radiator support and the sides are "sealed" from the factory with sheet plastic using a pressure fit. In my other post I discussed the front tray. I think I am trying to over engineer it and I am going back to the K.I.S.S way of thinking. I want to leave part of the front tray open (or a cable actuated drop panel) for the low speed cooling that the blocks will remove. I also have a 12 inch electric fan that I am mounting parallel to the ground as emergency forced air. I rarely get stuck in city traffic but I also don't want to have to jump out during a rainstorm to remove a block due to high temps. As for the grilles I have I seriously doubt the upper is doing anything measurable towards cooling on this car. It is just too small. The supercharged model has even smaller openings than mine.

Another poster suggested I seal the gap beneath the upper grilles. I was actually going to leave that because its an engineered gap , this way I would still get some flow.

I guess the reality of all this is that it is time to get outside and start experimenting with all of these theory's..

Thanks everyone for all of your input!
Dean
Old 06-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Flying Brick - '96 Pontiac Bonneville SE
90 day: 23.57 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to QuickLTD Send a message via Yahoo to QuickLTD
OK so I went to cut out a template for my upper grille block.. It's not as easy as I thought. I taped brown paper to the hood and grille and then cut it out. I then transfered the patern to some foam core poster board I just happened to have. I then test fit it and it. I am not satisfied with the fit. Does anyone have a better Idea? I am trying to get it to fit the contours of the factory grilles so it looks like it belongs there
Old 06-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLTD View Post
OK so I went to cut out a template for my upper grille block.. It's not as easy as I thought. I taped brown paper to the hood and grille and then cut it out. I then transfered the patern to some foam core poster board I just happened to have. I then test fit it and it. I am not satisfied with the fit. Does anyone have a better Idea? I am trying to get it to fit the contours of the factory grilles so it looks like it belongs there
QuickLTD,there might be some fabrication tips at the DIY / How To forum.I've never worked with the coroplast so I'm no help.But it seems like if you get a good paper pattern,and transfer it to the plastic,you should be within striking range of the shape.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I used some signwritting adhesive vinyl ( the type they cut letting out of) as a "temporary" measure to test things.
9 months later and its still holding up well. Basically like putting a huge strip of color matched tape over the grill.

Reply  Post New Thread