Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 04:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Eliminating Diesel Fuel Shut Off Solenoid Power Usage

Hi,
I have and Arosa (Lupo) 1.7SDI which I am considering making alternatorless.
As part of this I'm obviously trying to reduce electrical power usage as much as possible before I start.
There is a shut off solenoid in the injection pump which is normally closed. When the ignition is powered on, it's coil is energised opening the solenoid. Once the ignition is switched off it springs back and cuts off the diesel flow killing the engine.
The problem is that it draws 2A just keeping itself open which adds a significant amount of electrical load - especially in summer when there are almost no other loads without lights etc running.

Options would seem to be to remove it's plunger and remove it's wire so that it's always open and perhaps install a normally open solenoid on the fuel line just before the injection pump.
Was just concerned that there might be issues with cutting off the fuel flow before the pump instead of at the existing shut off solenoid location?

I'd value any opinion on the matter.

Last edited by Fionn; 04-14-2013 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: typo
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Too many cars

CRXFi - '88 Honda CRX XFi

Insight 256 - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights

Insight 5342 (no IMA) - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 66.3 mpg (US)
You might cause excessive wear to the pump and I'm guessing it will be very hard to restart after running the pump dry. Ideally you'd convert the existing shutoff to only draw those 2 amps to shut the engine down. Or convert it to a mechanical shutoff. Less ideal would be to cut off the air going into the engine to shut it down. Just be sure whatever you use can't get sucked into the engine!
2006 Honda Insight (parts car)
1988 Honda CRXFi
1994 Geo Metro

Old 04-14-2013, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Cheers GF, yes, I was worried about lack of lubrication in the early stages of the pump which was why I asked the question.
As you say reversing the solenoid would be the simplest solution, unfortunately the solenoid only has a single wire positive connection and uses it's outer threads as ground which makes this difficult.
I might buy a replacement solenoid and try to modify it internally to reverse it's action.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Of course, you understand why diesels have normally closed fuel cutting solenoids?

Having that out of the why, if you can find a normally open replacement then that would be cool. Either way, making an engine kill switch is easy

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 04-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yes, I fully understand why they are normally closed, to guarantee powering off in the event of a failure and so no power is consumed when the engine is off.
However solenoid type valves use a lot of energy to hold their non resting position (22-24W) in this case and a servo actuated cut off would be a much better option.
Of course reversing the current on the solenoid won't reverse the direction of travel anyway so my point above about the 1 wire etc is moot.
The difficulty with a servo based alternative is the mechanical interface into what is a pressurised (albeit relatively low pressure) area.
How is shut off achieved on more modern diesels, via the electronic injectors?
I'd really like to eliminate this load as it's pretty pointless and will add (2Ah x my desired runtime) to my battery requirement.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 42.77 mpg (US)
If you can find a way to change the solenoid valve to normally open, make sure that you have a backup method to shut the engine off. And test that method before you change the valve.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I will try it without the plunger to see if it shuts off anyway (IP has some measure of electronic controls), I suspect it might in which case I can just run it that way.
I could add a normally open solenoid valve to the input of the pump for emergency shut off or even a manual valve perhaps as it would be unlikely to ever be needed.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
I think first of all you should check if that cut off valve is used only for shutting down the engine. It can be used for DFCO as well and then you can't mess with it. It can be done easily with any light bulb, LED or voltmeter. If it's constantly under +12V you may try to find a solution to make it opened without drawing any current. I think that can be hard though, because it operates under fuel pressure.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 04-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks, I'll wire a bulb in parallel with it and see if it stays on solid before I try removing the plunger.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
What about a manual choke cable? No electrics at all, just a mechanical ball valve immediately upstream of the injector pump. No worries about what might happen if a wire breaks that way.

Of course if a cable breaks you're just as screwed but nothing's perfect.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Reply  Post New Thread