Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #171 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Getting a little more mainstream media...CNN Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to botsapper For This Useful Post:
brucepick (04-12-2013), NeilBlanchard (04-12-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #172 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I went and saw their prototype yesterday and it looks really good!

My dad and I both sat in it at the same time and both the front and back seat are comfortable, the back seat is on par with the back seat of my Civic VX as far as head and leg room go and I've ridden for a few hours at a time in the back seat of my car, there was plenty of elbow room both in the front and back, it had a very normal, car like feel to it.

The engine that is in their prototype that is being shown off is a brand new Geo Metro engine but they said that the production engine will be very close to that engine, that they are buying unfinished engines and finishing them to their specs, I really hope that it ends up being compatible with a Geo Metro engine because swapping in an XFI cam and transmission would be amazing and might even bump it up to that 100mpg mark.

They seemed to think that it will do really well in crash tests, even tho it doesn't have to be tested (motorcycle) and that in 10-15mph crashes that the replacement parts should end up costing about $150
Old 05-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #173 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
They seemed to think that it will do really well in crash tests, even tho it doesn't have to be tested (motorcycle) and that in 10-15mph crashes that the replacement parts should end up costing about $150
Thats pretty good. I've been watching some IIHS videos, and some cars require thousands of dollars for low speed parking lot accidents!
Old 05-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #174 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:

The engine that is in their prototype that is being shown off is a brand new Geo Metro engine but they said that the production engine will be very close to that engine, that they are buying unfinished engines and finishing them to their specs, I really hope that it ends up being compatible with a Geo Metro engine because swapping in an XFI cam and transmission would be amazing and might even bump it up to that 100mpg mark.

I look forward to this car becoming a reality, It may well be one of my cars in the future some time.

I was hoping that they could get honda to sell a 1ltr 3 banger with lean burn (albeit not a hybrid) ah well, so long 500,000 mile car I am guessing that would add $3500 to the purchase cost or more.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 05-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #175 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.18 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:

My dad and I both sat in it at the same time and both the front and back seat are comfortable, the back seat is on par with the back seat of my Civic VX as far as head and leg room go and I've ridden for a few hours at a time in the back seat of my car, there was plenty of elbow room both in the front and back, it had a very normal, car like feel to it.

They are passing up XFI, the best technology besides lean burn that 1989 had to offer?

It is good that the back seat is usable. How easy to ingress and egress?
Old 05-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #176 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
They are passing up XFI, the best technology besides lean burn that 1989 had to offer?

It is good that the back seat is usable. How easy to ingress and egress?
I really hope that the engine ends up being compatible with the XFI cam, but we'll see, no point in speculating.

Back seat is all around on par with the back seat of my civic vx, both in space and getting in and out, of course it's narrower, but lots of elbow room.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #177 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
I really hope that the engine ends up being compatible with the XFI cam, but we'll see, no point in speculating.
Should tell them to order the crate motors with an XFI cam from the factory, if your ordering what is more or less a custom motor why not? No sense having the extra 4hp anyway
Old 05-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #178 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
This article:
Elio Impressions by Bob Dahse
indicates it is to be based on a current Bugatti engine, but built by Elio in their plant.

Elio's drivetrain consultant IAV also works for Bugatti, as well as Ford, GM, Toyota, more.

I am strongly interested in this enclosed trike. My hope is that my Civic lasts until the Elio has gone through its first production year to get any kinks out. There's very little out there at any price that gets the mpg of an eco-modded Gen 6 Civic, especially if you don't want to get something even older. If these work out it would be an excellent option.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #179 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bugatti? They're owned by VW, so it could be some sort of variation on the engine in the VW 1L car.

-soD
Old 05-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #180 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bugatti builds engines for lots of different cars made by many different auto makers.

Bob Dahse showed up with a list of questions and spent over an hour looking over and taking notes on the Elios until the came up to him and asked if he wanted to go for a ride, after that he plopped down a $1,000 deposit!

I've known Bob for 25+ years, he built a hybrid back in the early 90's, a hand full of electric bikes, rebuilt a Prius and his current build is a Porsche that's converted to electric and is one of the people who I call up when I have EV questions, so the fact that he's put down a full deposit, to me speaks very highly, because he's asked the questions that I haven't thought of.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, scam