Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010, 12:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodydel View Post
I don't even think typing anything more is necessary. We as a society are one giant failure.

The link to the past:

Streamlined Vehicles
Streamlining was a fashion statement back then. Most didn't streamline for mileage purposes or our applications. It was an expected fad that we should all learn from.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-24-2010, 01:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Happy belated birthday, Mech!

One party who is prominently to blame for the lack of streamlined cars is the car-buying public. They're a vain, shortsighted, ridiculously wealthy group, without whom the SUV never would have taken off. They have many priorities, and fuel economy is generally near the bottom of their wish list. Even for customers who value fuel economy, gas is cheap enough that 40mpg satisfies them.
Why look to the future when people are falling all over themselves to buy something because it looks like it's from the 60's or it's "got a Hemi?" The same knuckle draggers who belittle Prius drivers are driving trucks and large SUVs that are virtually unchanged since the Eisenhower administration.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I went to one of the two Virginia US senators offices for an interview concerning my design. The Lady was very polite and actually accepted the design theory and some of my projections about the potential improvements.

When she made the statement about the simplicity and virtually maintenance free aspects of the design and the potential effect on employment in the auto manufacturing and repair industry as a legitimate counterpoint, I knew I was wasting my time.

The point is if you create a significantly better design, that virtually eliminates many repair operations since the parts no longer exist, you are in some cases considered a threat to the employment of potentially millions of people.

I did not try to argue the point, but I did mention the fact that is would take at least a decade to replace the total of the existing vehicle population, or even more when you consider the average age of vehicles today.

I guess we should make crappier cars so we can increase the repair industry employment. Hope the Senator does not get re-elected if his people are that short sighted.

regards
Mech
Old 11-24-2010, 07:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
We have changed everything on our way, but we have not been able to change ourselves. Not yet.

Streamlined cars are a good thing, but the problem is not there. On a recent flight between SC and ME, I looked down through the window for the whole flight. I kept looking all the way, hoping to find what I was looking for, but I was not able to find a single place where, for a moment, I couldn't see any trace of us through the window. Funnily, in a somewhat childlike way, I came to the realisation that we need more mountains.

Sorry for swerving a little wide off the subject. Steamlined cars are coming back somewhat. Some cars makers have found ways to make them aesthetically appealing while somewhat improving their Cd. Lets just hope they continue to improve.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 11-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Happy belated birthday, Mech!

One party who is prominently to blame for the lack of streamlined cars is the car-buying public. They're a vain, shortsighted, ridiculously wealthy group, without whom the SUV never would have taken off. They have many priorities, and fuel economy is generally near the bottom of their wish list. Even for customers who value fuel economy, gas is cheap enough that 40mpg satisfies them.
Hi Robert,

With the above in mind, could I possibly persuade you to up the MPG number in your avatar?

Shoot for the stars, perhaps?

Thanks, Jim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avatar.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	7422  
Old 11-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Jim,

I really wish I had more than 25 characters in the slot above my avatar to express my views on cruising speed reduction.

I'm willing to spend money and time on saving fuel, but, just the same as anyone else who ever turns the key in a vehicle, there are limits to how much I'm willing to do.

I did the math on cruising speed reduction. With a very aerodynamic car like an Insight, valuing my time at $6/hr, and conserving gas like it was $6/gal, the optimum cruising speed is faster than you can legally drive on any highway in the US.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Hi Robert,

When I take a look at what some of the people at this site and at IC (snikrepretep comes to mind) are doing to conserve fuel, it would appear that 40 or even 60 mpg is not enough to sustain our current rate of fuel consumption over the long term.

As you know, snikrepretep is located in Europe and is currently working on getting two battery packs in his car to save even more fuel. Why is he doing this? There is obviously a very good reason to go to such lengths.

We can certainly look at what we feel our time is worth when driving and come to our own conclusions, but as we get further past peak oil, these decisions will certainly be modified based on remaining fuel availability and cost.

Do we plan for this now or later? Or in reality, does it even matter?

That's the ultimate choice that every has the free-will to make.

Jim.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
99CleanEM1

Hello,

I would just like to inform you that we have come a long way. My little Honda Civic does infact fly! @ 530 whp and 9200 rpms it also sounds like a jet.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Ah, progress. We would be lost without 530HP front wheel drive commuter cars.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Quote:
Ah, progress. We would be lost without 530HP front wheel drive commuter cars.
Good point Robert!! Hey, maybe that's the secret to getting more MPG's out of the Insight!

Jim.

Reply  Post New Thread