Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2016, 07:10 PM   #181 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Looking at the gap between the former firewall it looks like you could do some "unorthodox" things to add leg room and possibly offset things forward for your rear seat/battery issue.

Good Luck
Thanks for the kind words!

Some of that space will be taken up by newly fabricated ductwork connecting the Toyota Denso a/c unit to the Firebird Dash vents. I will also use some of that area for mounting the electronics that formerly were mounted under the dash of the Prius V donor car.

That being said, the previously very shallow Firebird glove box will probably end up being much deeper.

Bill the Engineer

Last edited by Bill the Engineer; 05-07-2016 at 09:06 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-12-2016, 08:38 AM   #182 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

would love to see some interior shots with the body on

Bill
Would be great to see some interior shots, before adding the dash, battery pack and floor pan before seats and interior trim gets dropped in. As you described hooking up the Firebird dash to the Prius AC unit, I was wondering how the interior looks.

I think I read earlier that you were reusing the firebird interior, which will likely require some changes to bolt into the floor pan. I think you also said the battery will be under the rear seat
Old 05-12-2016, 07:37 PM   #183 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgatl View Post
Bill
Would be great to see some interior shots, before adding the dash, battery pack and floor pan before seats and interior trim gets dropped in. As you described hooking up the Firebird dash to the Prius AC unit, I was wondering how the interior looks.

I think I read earlier that you were reusing the firebird interior, which will likely require some changes to bolt into the floor pan. I think you also said the battery will be under the rear seat
I posted these photos over in the Priuschat forums back in 2015, but they are worth repeating here.

The entire project was planned out in CAD (Pro-Engineer and AutoCAD) prior to cutting any metal. That way I was able to see how the parts of the car fit together and plan what needed to be cut away.

The remaining part of the Firebird's floor includes the original front seat supports. They fit together like a jigsaw puzzle with the Prius V floorpan.

Please also note that the dash in a 1967 Firebird is made out of sheetmetal and is welded into place. It is a structural element of the original car, as it will be for the finished Firebrid. In essence, the Firebird Dash replaces the straight cross-tube in the Prius V from which all of the electronics and steering wheel were attached.

The Traction battery had to move to avoid the rear seat vertical support, which is also a structural member in a Firebird Convertible. The best new location is beneath the rear seat cushion on top of the fuel tank area.

I hope this helps you understand the design of the planned finished car.

Bill the Engineer
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill the Engineer For This Useful Post:
elhigh (05-13-2016), jgatl (05-12-2016), mcrews (05-12-2016), RedDevil (05-13-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #184 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for reposting Bill, I had seen these earlier, but thought with the final placement that things might had changed.

I'm curious how you will connect the Firebird steering column to the steering linkage in the Prius. Also, I read in post 508941 (#90) that you are reusing the Prius speedometer/cluster. Are all the telematics in that one unit?
The Following User Says Thank You to jgatl For This Useful Post:
Bill the Engineer (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #185 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
I was thinking a modified rag joint for connecting the steering. You'll lose some of the precision of the Prius' equipment, but if you remember you're driving a 40-year-old Pontiac some of your expectations become more modest.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
Bill the Engineer (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #186 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgatl View Post
Thanks for reposting Bill, I had seen these earlier, but thought with the final placement that things might had changed.

I'm curious how you will connect the Firebird steering column to the steering linkage in the Prius. Also, I read in post 508941 (#90) that you are reusing the Prius speedometer/cluster. Are all the telematics in that one unit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
I was thinking a modified rag joint for connecting the steering. You'll lose some of the precision of the Prius' equipment, but if you remember you're driving a 40-year-old Pontiac some of your expectations become more modest.
The original GM steering column is actually too long and would stick through the Prius V firewall. The connection to the Prius steering gear is actually on the floor protruding almost vertically, and connects to the stubby Prius steering column by way of and angled intermediate splined shaft with a universal joint at each end. (See arrow and center line on images below.

The Prius has electric power steering, so I would lose power steering on the car if I tried to cut-up the Firebird column. The plan at this point is to use a stripped-down version of the Prius V steering column which will be about a foot aft of its original position. I have obtained a second intermediate shaft to use to create the longer one that I will need. I intend to adapt the Firebird steering wheel and shaft covering onto the bare Prius column, and remotely mount the controls close by under the speedometer. (Image of Prius V column during removal from car.)

The speedometer, which Toyota calls a multi-function meter, and the navi display together are the only displays on the car. The dash panel will be altered to the shape of the MFD, and the navi display will be installed where the old radio and ash tray were in the car. (Electrical connections are planned be done in 2017 once the body welding and panel work is completed.)

Bill the Engineer

Last edited by Bill the Engineer; 05-13-2016 at 08:37 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill the Engineer For This Useful Post:
Daox (05-13-2016), jgatl (05-15-2016), Xist (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 04:12 AM   #187 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
So, do you think it would be finished by 2018?
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
Bill the Engineer (05-14-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 08:15 AM   #188 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mechanically, yes. Cosmetically, 2019.

Bill the Engineer
Old 05-16-2016, 05:33 PM   #189 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Another trip in a few days. Going for some salt air and seagulls. I will be AFK for a while...

Bill
Old 05-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #190 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello Bill or as I want to call you Wild Bill, BAHAHAHAHA...

I love this project, I love old muscle cars and cars that get great MPG you are marrying the best of both worlds.

As for the haters, let me ask them one thing. How fast do you drive to work, the store or to your sister-in-laws house?? Most of these cars were sold to average everyday people, not hot rodder's or drag racers. Yes over the years more and more people who race them and do other things with them got ahold of them and did those things. But most people who cruise down to In-n-out burgers want a col fun car to drive. Does everyone need or want 1000 BHP at there beckon call, no most want a nice car to drive and enjoy.
You sir are making a dream come true and in the end will have a nice car to drive any where you want and be able to enjoy the ride.
My hat is off to you sir for a great project of 2016, waiting for each new click of the mouse as you add more and share this ride and build with all of us.
Doc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc Joe For This Useful Post:
Bill the Engineer (05-17-2016), mcrews (05-18-2016), MetroMPG (05-17-2016)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
convertible, firebird, firebrid, hybrid