Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2021, 01:46 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
The Chicken Tax should work to make trucks less popular by making them more expensive to import than a car. However, it didn't work that way and companies just shifted production to North America and trucks are as popular as ever.
It was a different time.

Quote:
Chicken tax
The Chicken Tax is a 25 percent tariff on light trucks imposed in 1964 by the United States under President Lyndon B. Johnson in response to tariffs placed by France and West Germany on importation of U.S. chicken.Wikipedia
The Type II were unibody. Toyota shipped pickups with the bed not bolted down and completed construction at the loading dock (maybe not literally). VW didn't have that option.

Once they had established a market, they build the local factory.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-14-2021, 01:53 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,177 Times in 807 Posts
Government regulations certainly helped the pickup's popularity grow. What has always been slower to be regulated becuase it traditionally was a business vehicle of some kind, therefore could give the buyer what they really wanted not what the government wanted them to want. Lobbies on one side working against lobbies on the other, carve outs here, taxes over there.

So then what was once just a business tool started getting civilized for the non business buyer. Next thing you know a F150 can be built nicer than pretty much any other Ford available and it's downright faster than anything except a few performance sports cars they make but it can also get the family gear, boat, camper, whatever all up to the lake on the weekend.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-14-2021), JSH (08-15-2021), ME_Andy (08-14-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #53 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The Type II were unibody. Toyota shipped pickups with the bed not bolted down and completed construction at the loading dock (maybe not literally). VW didn't have that option.

Once they had established a market, they build the local factory.
VW could have build the Type II in the USA - they chose not to. They could also have also shipped in knock down kits - they chose not to.

Both Ford and Mercedes have managed to ship in unibody vans in a way to avoid the Chicken Tax. Both have since switched to building the vehicles in North America because Knock-Down Kits only make sense in low volume.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:26 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
They could also have also shipped in knock down kits - they chose not to [something, something] because Knock-Down Kits only make sense in low volume.
By the time of the Rabbit pickup, they'd figured it out.

Old 08-14-2021, 07:50 PM   #55 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Perhaps he's thinking of the Chicken Tax. It killed the Type II Dokka (Double Cabin) and put everyone in Hiluxes.
I was actually considering the possibility to get an income tax deduction for the buyer of a truck, van or SUV.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-14-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 11:27 AM   #56 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I was actually considering the possibility to get an income tax deduction for the buyer of a truck, van or SUV.
The only way an individual gets an income tax deduction on a vehicle is if it is electric. Right now most EVs that get deductions are cars.

Business owners can depreciate a vehicle used for business but that applies to a car, truck, or van.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:44 AM   #57 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
That is a tax on fuel economy not vehicle type. A 15 mpg Dodge Challenger is taxed the same as a 15 mpg Ram 1500.
Wisconsin taxes aren’t on fuel economy
A 30mpg pickup is taxed the same as an 8mpg pickup
A “hybrid” or plug in pickup (if it existed) is exempt from the hybrid or plug in fee increases depending on how its titled, a farm or commercial truck appears to be exempt from the special taxes while a “passenger vehicle” is not.

Both my antique car and truck use about $200 a year of fuel so my “rate” of tax is exponentially higher on the cars.

My old pickup made it 5 years not being charged wheel tax while my antique cars and motorcycle were being charged wheel tax the whole time.

This tax also charges hybrids and plug ins the same high tax fees even though one is very different than the other

Last edited by rmay635703; 08-15-2021 at 11:49 AM..
Old 08-15-2021, 12:43 PM   #58 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Wisconsin taxes aren’t on fuel economy
A 30mpg pickup is taxed the same as an 8mpg pickup
Your earlier description made it sound fuel economy based.

Quote:
A “hybrid” or plug in pickup (if it existed) is exempt from the hybrid or plug in fee increases depending on how its titled, a farm or commercial truck appears to be exempt from the special taxes while a “passenger vehicle” is not.

Both my antique car and truck use about $200 a year of fuel so my “rate” of tax is exponentially higher on the cars.

My old pickup made it 5 years not being charged wheel tax while my antique cars and motorcycle were being charged wheel tax the whole time.

This tax also charges hybrids and plug ins the same high tax fees even though one is very different than the other

I decided to go to the source material. What am I missing here:

Annual Registration:
https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/v...se-plates.aspx

Annual registration / plate for a automobile is:
$85 + $75 for a hybrid or $100 for an EV

Annual registration / plate for a light truck is:
$100 + $75 for a hybrid or $100 for an EV

Titles:
https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/v...es/titles.aspx
$164.50 or $157 for a low speed vehicle
Makes no reference to vehicle type.

Wheel Tax:
https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/v.../wheeltax.aspx
For automobiles or trucks less than 8,000 lbs
Varies from $10 to $30 per year

I can't see anything here that is going to influence someone's decisions when buying a new car where the mean transaction price is $41,000. (The median was about $10K lower last I found it) The difference is less than a rounding error in the overall cost to purchase and operate a vehicle.

Farm truck rules are different but what percentage of Wisconsin residents are farmers? Nationally 1.3% of US households have farm or ranch income.
Old 08-15-2021, 05:45 PM   #59 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Your missing the county taxation aspect and the titling variation (which can be 2.5x your local registration)

I’ve already owned 2 identical model “hybrids” that had different registration taxes going on for years. My truck had 5 years of not being charged wheel taxes while my cars were charged.

Asking the DMV why gives the go plow sand response
Old 08-16-2021, 09:58 PM   #60 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Your missing the county taxation aspect and the titling variation (which can be 2.5x your local registration)

I’ve already owned 2 identical model “hybrids” that had different registration taxes going on for years. My truck had 5 years of not being charged wheel taxes while my cars were charged.

Asking the DMV why gives the go plow sand response
There is an additional county tax than the county and city wheel tax I linked too?

You say your truck had 5 years not being charged wheel tax. Has that changed today because the page I linked shows wheel tax is due for trucks less than 8,000 lbs?

Bottom line - much is the difference in taxes between your truck and your car per month?

Reply  Post New Thread