Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010, 10:46 PM   #191 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasDude View Post
Maybe you missed my point. It's me, and them. I can stay where I am, or move over and encourage them to pass. It's like approaching a red light (also would be gliding) in the right lane and looking in my mirror and seeing the person behind me has their turn signal on. If possible, I'll move into the center lane. I don't worry about tailgaters, I worry about everyone, since many of them are drunk. Anything to make distance between me and other drivers is a good thing.
I also have a particular light where I move to the left lane when I am coasting. 4 lanes not divided, the light is usually on for just 12 seconds in an over 1 minute cycle.

Most of the traffic turns right at the light, so instead of aggravating them by taking 3 or 4 tenths of a mile to slowly approach the light, because I know it will not turn green before I get there unless I approach it very slowly.

When the oncoming left turn signal has a car in that lane, it takes longer, When the same left turn lane is empty my light will turn green sooner.

The right side of the intersecting road is the last to move through the intersection if the oncoming left turn is not activated.

People behind me either rush to the light when it's red, or turn right on the red when they get to the intersection.

The left lane restricts the traffic the least in this situation, and I can usually either coast to the light, drive through without slowing down, or avoid having to stop completely for the light. This light is 3 miles from the last light I pass but I almost never have to stop for the light even though it is on only about 10% of the total cycle.

regards
Mech

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #192 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

For me I try to do the limit going under the speed limit on the 400siers is a death sentence literally. I've seen to many rear end crashes to tempt fate. Mostly I drive 100-110kmh keeping the rpm are 2300-2800rpm going by the hill. When I can, I draft semi's as they do the limit and the drafting effect works well.

For drivers that drive like nuts I can be just as wild as them if not worse. I do not do it often anymore but there are times that some drivers try to act smug when they go around me. The double brake tap dose not always work. I prefer taping twice taking it to 110-115kmh and slowing to 95-100kmh quick only if there is room to allow. I've also been on the 401 and had a driver that thought it would be funny to keep up with me as I sped up. My mind set at the time was to keep accelerating till he backed off took till 160 but he pulled off. I got back into the right lane and let the wind take the car down to 100kmh and keep on going.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #193 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

EG6 - '93 Honda Civic Si
I normally just drive the speed limit and if they still tailgate, then it is brake check time. They will get a clue and usually pass me.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #194 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Thinking about one of these stickers....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	check.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	7231   Click image for larger version

Name:	close.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	7232   Click image for larger version

Name:	hyper.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	7233   Click image for larger version

Name:	paid.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	7234   Click image for larger version

Name:	v-p.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	7235  

MrMiata (10-30-2010), TOOQIKK (11-11-2010)
Old 10-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #195 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
I like them all, the second and last are the best
Old 10-30-2010, 03:27 AM   #196 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

78 Olds Cutlass - '78 Oldsmobile CutlassSupreme

Big Red - '10 Toyota Venza AWD
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Thinking about one of these stickers....
I just ignore 'em or gradually slow down if they have the option of passing.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #197 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMiata View Post
I just ignore 'em or gradually slow down if they have the option of passing.
That's what I do too. Brake checks are a good way to ruin your day.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #198 (permalink)
The PRC.

Brake checks are a bad idea, see my earlier post on no insurance.

Lets be careful out there.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:09 PM   #199 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
I did a brake check and was enlightened to the fact that the guy I brake checked was a former Marine (armed forces licence plate) and a gun toting member of the NRA. After an exhilarating lesson in the physics of a 3.8L minivan vs a vehicle with a similar governed top speed, I'm much more cautious.

Mind you, I generally am patient for several miles, then explode, set the parking brake at whatever speed I'm going, then jump out of the car when it stops and come at the offending vehicle with the aggression of a grizzly bear with no ill intent intended......

That guy drove off like his britches felt a bit warm and soft suddenly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #200 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
I agree with ignoring tailgaters until we are talking about being on a highway. Some guy running into the back of my vehicle because I have to heavily apply brakes and/or maneuver to a slower speed or lane is a threat. Especially at night with reduced vision and the greater likelihood of [A] either seeing something too late (even at a reduced speed; or around a curve, a hill); and [B] animals on the roadway.

I also notice that several hours past dark is where the likelihood of being tailgated by someone intoxicated or someone absolutely exhausted rises dramatically. They'll not shake off. I've tried both raising and lowering my speed to break "the trance" and doesn't matter if I'm on a two or four lane highway. I've come to nearly a stop as well as run above ninety for several miles.

There are those who cannot any longer negotiate the road without someone else to follow.

Heavy fog or snow or rain can cause the same actions, unfortunately.

And there are stretches of road so far away from populations of any consequence that "calling for help" is meaningless, or even that one will be able to call out (or raise someone on the CB).

Some tailgaters are a threat due to incapacity . . and there always remains the possibility that worse plans may be afoot. The vehicle type being driven by the other is almost meaningless.

I have my retinue of signals, but once it is clear they don't work, or that there is not a good place to pull off, etc, is a new scenario that one needs to think his way through.

Frankly, once a hard brake slam gets the message across I'm not tolerating tail-gating, I'm already prepared for so-called "consequences" as the story is straight, the options examined (and attempted) and that the cards will fall as they may.

I've long wished for a car-taser to shut-down the electrics of a vehicle driven in a threatening manner.

Reply  Post New Thread